Pride Profile: Creator Mariko Tamaki

:00_dc_pride:Pride Profile: Mariko Tamaki. This Canadian writer and artist made an indelible impact with her 2008 graphic novel Skim, drawn by her sometime collaborator and cousin Jillian Tamaki. This and subsequent works often explore ideas “about living in the moments of wrenching transition …[and] the conflicting need to belong and desire to resist.” Themes seemingly drawn from her own life and identity as a lesbian growing up in Canada. Tamaki joined the DC family with highly praised Supergirl: Being Super, Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass, and I am not Starfire. She has also written She Hulk and Lumberjanes novels, and is now currently writing Detective Comics.

HQ breaking glass

Supergirl: Being Super

10 Likes

Pride Month Club Discussions. Need a deeper look at other Pride creators? Check out these club discussions from across the DCUI.

World of Bats: Batwoman Elegy

Doom Patrol Pride Month

DC History Club: Supergirl: Being Super

DC History and Harley’s Crew: V for Vendetta

DC Book Club: Pride Month

Characters of DC: Midnighter and Apollo

Birds of Prey Club: Batwoman and Montoya

DC History Club: The Pride History of the DCU

World of Bats: Gotham Half a Life

House of Horror: The Low, Low Woods

Harley’s Crew: Harley and Ivy

5 Likes

Could be very wrong on this but I think she wrote some WW comics I enjoyed recently.

6 Likes

See

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/collections/edt-talentspotlight-marikotamaki

5 Likes

I LOVED her Cassandra Cain story in the DC Festival of Heroes special!

6 Likes

These are so awesome

3 Likes

Thanks Turok.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve only read an issue or two of her WW work, but it looked intriguing.

I also enjoyed her YA OGN Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass and her current run on Detective Comics. I think the only thing of hers I’ve read that I wasn’t really into was her (She-)Hulk run, but I think that had more to do with what she had to deal with Jen post-Civil War II more than anything.

2 Likes