:00_dc_pride: Pride Month Watch-Along: Freedom Fighters: The Ray | Thursday, June 30th | 6 PM Pacific/9 PM Eastern :00_dc_pride:

From time to time, I’ve found myself a Lowe’s man, because if memory serves, Gene Hackman narrated their TV ads for a time.

Gotta support Mr. “Lew-thor”, after all.

SN: If it wasn’t Hackman narrating, then it was a darn good sound-a-like.

2 Likes

To quote my favorite movie The Breakfast Club (& all apologies if mentioning dad is a sore spot?, hoping not) “My old man & your old man oughta get together & go bowling”- John Bender. My dad loves Lowes!!!

2 Likes

I love and adore my dad (as he loves and adores me), so IDK why it would be a sore spot, but you’re good all the same. :slight_smile:

…and that’s a good line from a movie full of good lines.

“Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?”

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware if he was still with us. Or if possibly u didn’t get along? Etc. I’ve never asked obviously. So, if not offered info…I tread extremely lightly. My dad is the best human being ever. So, u may refer to him at all times to me lol. Glad to hear it btw. Good dads deserve all the credit we can muster up. Moms go w/o saying. “Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint” to keep the movie quote mobile a moving. Some Vince Vaughn from Dodgeball lol.

2 Likes

He’s alive and kicking and we get along like the best of friends, because we are the best of friends. :slight_smile:

“They don’t make “Sorry your coach got crushed under 10 tons of Irish irony.” cards, ya know?”

Or something to that effect. You know the line. :wink:

2 Likes

:joy: yes I do.

2 Likes

My problem is I don’t reread and it does it automatically. I mean, many times it’s changed were to we’re.

3 Likes

We had it in 1989 I know, thought it made it to the 90s.

3 Likes

Not where I lived in the 80’s. But, we were even smaller then, then they are now. At that time. We got a McDonald’s & it was the biggest news story around. Horse & Buggy town, literally. My neighbors all had horse & buggies. Still do, but I don’t live there anymore. You’ve probably never heard of a Fishers Big Wheel either? That was our one & only grocery. I laughed the 1st time I heard the name Giant Eagle when we got one 20yrs later. Still do. Like, you’re a grocery store? Who’s the marketing whiz behind that gem. I got it!!! Giant Eagle!! Well…we were kinda dead set on Humongous Hawk but…yeah, that’s better.

3 Likes

Yeah, better a grocery store doesn’t have that name. :smirk: The opportunities for prank calls are positively brobdingnagian, and then some. :smiling_imp: :innocent:

3 Likes

But people just accept Giant Eagle like it’s normal? It’s not. Your a grocery store? Just randomly select an adjective & species of bird? Why? That had to be one of those late night meetings where everyone wanted to go home & they couldn’t agree on a name. Then someone said @#$& it, Giant Eagle :eagle: that’s what we’re calling it GN everyone…

2 Likes

Well, “Giant Eagle” sounds proud and strong. :muscle:t2:

Meanwhile, “Humongous Hawk” sounds like someone’s trying to overcompensate for something. :grin:

Grocery stores/food jobbers, gotta love 'em!

1 Like

I suppose, but I think it’s just been around so long nobody can see it is the same thing as Humongous Hawk, or even Enormous Falcon. That’s got the same qualifications as Giant Eagle? lol. Oh man. I’m destined to be alone with my sister on this one. I said that to her a long time ago. She was instantly like, you’re right. That’s a super random & weird name for a grocery store chain. Now it’s a running joke between us. There was a grocery store in Alliance, Ohio when I was playing Freshman football :football:. We passed it on a bus & it was called -No Frills- everyone started laughing super hard & our coaches went crazy. Yelled at us for not being mentally ready & demanded silence. Then we won & passed it on the way back & they were like…ok, that’s pretty funny…haha. It was great!!!

3 Likes

You have some interesting observations on grocery stores and their names, mon frere. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Merci Mon amie!!!

3 Likes

Well, we have Food Lion and Honey’s IGA…

4 Likes

IGA…“now, that’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time. A long time.”

Its where I picked up some of my very first Marvel comics.

It was across the street from another food jobber that had a wicked-rad selection of action figures and was right next to a Woolworth’s, which also had a schway toy selection and a spinner rack of comics that childhood me nabbed a decent amount of DC and Marvel books from.

4 Likes

All of our I.G.A’s are Giant Eagles. Circa 1997’ super early I’m guessing? My 3rd job ever was at an I.G.A. 3rd shift stocking shelves. Used to be one in Portage Lakes after they were all gone. That one turned into a Walmart maybe 2004’?

4 Likes

Grocery store is one job I never actually had.

4 Likes

My first job was at Safeway. Fun gig.

4 Likes