Pride Month 2020 - Thoughts on "Exit Stage Left"?

It is Pride Month again, and given the current state of affairs the this country I will be rereading Exit Stage Left again. Who will join me. What do you all think of this collected work?

Happy Pride Month 2020

5 Likes

this is my new favorite limited series.

3 Likes

That comic would be very fun to revisit. Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes

I have read lots of Mark Russell comics before and since Exit Stage Left. For some reason, for Snagglepuss in particular, that there was a big difference between my impression of the story reading it month to month vs the impression I got sitting down and reading it all in one sitting. Exit Stage Left definitely improved with the one sitting reading. I think the normal distraction I get with all of the other monthlies I read weighed heavier on my original reading of Exit Stage Left because it reads more like a novel than an episodic satire.

Regardless of personal details, this re-read really made me appreciate this story so much more than I did before. It is haunting.

3 Likes

It’s the most strangely incredible comic I’ve ever read. I don’t know if it’s better than Flintstones or his other comic work, but it’s very, very good.

2 Likes

Love this series, Mark Russell can do no wrong.

3 Likes

I just finished reading the series, after the recommendation on DC daily and the fact it was nominated for an Eisner award. SnagglePuss as a character reads like a modern day Oscar Wilde, in the best way. It feels like a story I’ve read before but this interpretation makes it feel new. I love stories that take a risk. There was no guarantee this story would be popular, and they did it because they felt it needed to be done. I’m really glad that I read it.

6 Likes

Sorry for the tangent, but I wanted to voice a recommendation for one of Mark Russel’s current projects - Billionaire Island from Ahoy Comics. Issue #2 just came out last week, but I didn’t get around to buying it until today. It is great. The comic is being drawn by Russell’s storytelling partner from The Flinstones - Steve Pugh. So far, only two issues have come out, so it is not too late to catch up. So far it is a doozy.

3 Likes