President Superman!

Hey everyone! Who here thinks President Calvin Ellis (Superman of Earth-23) should get his own ongoing series? Raise your hand if you think he should! :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

Happy Father’s Day!
Brian

8 Likes

I am not interested, but I am not the only guy in the DC fandom.

3 Likes

I sadly don’t know much, if anything, about Calvin Ellis.

I know he is a Superman, black, and his whitens to Cal El.

Any story suggestions for getting to know him?

4 Likes

The main one is Action Comics (2011) #9, which is his first full appearance and it actually has two stories featuring him. He’s gonna be one of the stars of the upcoming Infinite Frontier storyline

5 Likes

I think he should, he does not get the kinda respect he deserves. He is the dang president.

2 Likes

In addition to @bridder01’s suggestion of Action Comics #9, a couple other noteworthy appearances of the Calvin Ellis Superman are:

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions!

3 Likes

You’re welcome. :clark_hv_4:

3 Likes

Anytime! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

tenor (1)

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions @bridder01 & @Vroom .

ACTION COMICS #9 was a great read. Enjoyed that one.

I’ve never read any of FINAL CRISIS so as cool as #7 was, it was a bit of a loss on me.

Haven’t checked out multiversity yet. Cool stuff so far though. Thanks for exposing me to the character!

4 Likes

Final Crisis is an…interesting read. Depending on how much you like Grant Morrison (who also authored Action Comics #9), you may love it or…not love it.

As a huge Morrison fan, I enjoyed it. It’s not his best DC work, but it’s also far from his worst.

Should you read Final Crisis in its entirety at some point, be sure to check out the two-issue Final Crisis: Superman Beyond mini-series. It’s quite wild.

3 Likes

Anytime! Glad to be of help! :slight_smile: Be sure to read Infinite Frontier, in which President Superman will be playing a big role. I’ve really taken a liking to Calvin Ellis/Cal-El/President Superman and he is definitely a character I would love to see DC do more with, perhaps even an Earth-23 miniseries, kind of like what they’re doing right now with Crime Syndicate.

Happy Tuesday!
Brian

4 Likes

That is a solid mini. It’s exceeded my expectations, and then some.

4 Likes

Are you excited for Superman & The Authority coming out in July?

4 Likes

Just read IF 1 and really enjoyed it. I am excited to see what happens and I am happy to see Calvin Ellis lead Justice Incarnate!

3 Likes

Truthfully, I’d rather see a Justice League Incarnate comic, which would feature President Superman, but would also have Captain Carrot, Atomic Batman, Mary Marvel, Machinehead, Thunderer, Aquawoman, Green Lantern Abin Sur, and the Flash. But that’s just me. I love parallel dimensions.

3 Likes

Yes, but with Manchester Black? Ehh…Not too sure about that one. But, never know unless you give it a try lol

2 Likes

Absolutely!

As far as I’m concerned, this July belongs to Superman. Not only due to the revamped Superman line (of which, Superman and The Authority is a highlight), but also because of a certain Digital First series titled Superman '78.

#JulybelongstoSuperman

3 Likes

You know, I can suspend my disbelief about a lot of things in superhero comics – powers beyond mortal men, men being able to learn every martial art on the planet, women fighting crime in sexy outfits – but I just can’t buy the President of the United States being a heroic figure. Because of that, I just can’t really get into the character.

1 Like