Prefer a Live Action Martian Man Hunter Or Green Lantern Reboot?

I would suspect that non-comic book reading fans would only know Martian Manhunter from “Supergirl.”

3 Likes

Depending How far back we are talking. They had a version of him on Smallville and the JL cartoons and various other animated movies shows since. Still scarcely used in comparison to most.

2 Likes

I never got into Smallville so people may well remember him from that series. I was thinking along the lines of attracting mainstream viewers to tune in as there is a strange aversion to putting the word “Mars” into the title of movies as people will derisively scoff at BEM’s from Mars in perpetuating that stereotype of science fiction.
Why else would Disney drop “…of Mars” from the title of their live action “John Carter” film of a few years back?
I was a damn good film but once again, "Disney had no clue how to market it.

3 Likes

Martian manhunter could be interesting in today’s political climate if they go with the white vs green Martian storyline. They could show the civil war that ends with J’onn being the last Martian and refugee on earth having to hiding for hundreds of years until he meets hero’s that make him want to help, and justice league is born.

But I do love green lantern and the mythos of the corps. The animated show was great for showing the color spectrum and it would be an epic space saga to show on screen. Would have to prefer green lantern.

4 Likes

I actually found John Carter to be a bit lackluster but not as bad as Was panned! Same as GL IT DEF. was a mess! But I’ve seen worse :joy:

1 Like

Fair enough about John Carter. It appeals to those of us who grew up watching the boy’s own adventure live action Disney movies of the 70’s or 80’s sword & sorcery fantasy adventure films.
I left the movie theater angry and resentful about the abysmal script for GL.

3 Likes

I was born 1980 (I’m an old man!) :joy: so I get it … and yeah I’d say it had the kind of Appeal you were talking about think had it been done slightly better and more fleshed out it was would’ve been BIG!.. GL … is what it is I hope now whoever attempts to tackle that next gives it the attention and respect it deserves!

3 Likes

I’m going to go with Martian Manhunter. He was one of the earliest additions to the JLA, yet he always gets sidelined when it comes time to make live action movies. I’d love to see him get his spotlight moment!
Don’t get me wrong, I love Green Lantern so much, but the live action movie was so disappointing; if they did a reboot & it wasn’t awesome, I don’t know if I could bear it.

3 Likes

John Krasinski or Armie Hammer in my opinion.

Edit: Now I think James Marsden as Hal Jordan and Omari Hardwick as John Stewart are perfect choices.

2 Likes

I would want a Martian Manhunter movie first since not much people know about him and he was originally in Justoce League, played by Harry Lennix. I would love to see his portrayal in a solo film. If they just recasted him, it would be like coming up to him and slapping him in the face.

1 Like

I would want Martian Manhunter first cus he’s my favorite and green lantern has already been in the spotlight and MM has only had a couple DCAU appearances

2 Likes

I’d like to see J’onn finally get his due.

2 Likes

I would like to see both. Green Lantern first, though.

I think Dylan O’Brien could make a good Green Lantern.

3 Likes

More movies with more heroes! It’s time

2 Likes

I was a huge GL fan from Geoff John’s crazy run. I think GL done right could be amazing. The mythos is so deep and they have so many characters too. It could be a franchise in of itself.

4 Likes

Man that is a tough one. Could they be done together somehow? It would be great if they could. MM and GL both need their due. John Jones first, Hal already had a chance and DC screwed the pooch in casting. I love Ryan Reynold’s but Fillion was and is the only choice to play Hal at this point, he may not want to. It could work if it was done like Emerald Knights.

But JJ deserves a feature length film…

2 Likes

Your 40 years young. Still spry.

2 Likes

I really want to see a Green Lantern Reboot. I’m hoping there’s a least a small scene of Green Lantern in the Snyder Cut. My best friends favorite DC character is Green Lantern and he’s been dying for a fresh reboot.

3 Likes

I’d prefer for Johns to write the script or story. He’s had success with films like WW and Aquaman and that should be close to the tone of GL. On his website he does have the GLC listed as a movie in development so there is hope. There is a rumor from a scooper on his podcast that if Snyder gets his hands on GL, he mentions Reynolds joining the Snyder cut, then Geoff would be out and Snyder would control GL for future content on HBOmax. That would be a real disappointment because I think Johns just knows the character so well. They mentioned that WB films monitors twitter and if they tweet enough they’ll notice and make it happen. Could all be smoke but I hope it’s not true.

It’s unfortunate if it is true. I like Snyder and the Snyderverse, but I also like Johns as a writer and enjoyed the films he was involved with as well. If WB is forcing it as one or the other, I’d prefer Johns have control. But, the Snyder fans are well organized and can get things trending very easily. It’s too bad that a vocal group can swap WB. I’d prefer if we get both versions and not just one.

1 Like

Honestly Green Lantern with a back door pilot for Martin Manhunter.

3 Likes