💥 POW! ZOK! SOCK! 💥 The Adam West Batman TV Series Turns 55 in 2021: How Are You Celebrating?

OH WOW that is beyond gorgeous! :sob:

4 Likes

I rewatched the movie about a month ago! It stands up very well. “Some days you just can’t get rid of a bomb!”

5 Likes

That looks so clean!

Only have this Batgirl '66 representation thus far. Looking out for a full costume one.
xbgb1B

4 Likes

Mighty @Mae and @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx- IKR? This is the most accurate likeness of Yvonne Craig that I’ve ever seen in a collectible.

And the attention to detail is amazing- the sheen emanating from her costume, the authentic colorization, and the brick background surrounding the secret door to the garage where her Batgirl Cycle is stored- all simply fantastic! Tweeterhead has produced an absolutely spectacular statue here and I’m very much looking forward to adding her to my BG display! :smiley: :00_batgirl1:

6 Likes

Fun Fact: While Van Williams guest-starred on the Batman TV series as The Green Hornet, he also played President Lyndon B. Johnson via an uncredited voice over in Batman: The Movie.

4 Likes

That is an interesting fact! I hadn’t even realized this was the 55th. I gave my digital codes to my older brother as a Christmas gift years ago, he loved them, and it was a cheap an easy regift that year, LOL! So I’ll have to pop in the physical discs of the box set and give 'em a rewatch, with the movie.

3 Likes

The Limited Edition Blu-ray set, with the deck of playing cards, the Hot Wheels Batmobile, the sound chip in-box that plays a bit of the theme and much more?

Or the basic Blu-ray set that only has the season sets?

I used to have the LE set. I eagerly stood outside Best Buy the day it came out, waiting for them to open.

…and yes, I was wearing a Batman '66 t-shirt that day. I practically had to, per The Geek Code. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

It was the LE set, I pre ordered it on Amazon. And you “used to have the LE set,” what happened to it?

3 Likes

I sold it, along with all of my DVDs, Blu-rays, etc in 2018. I got out of movie collecting to focus more on comics and toys.

I have the series on Digital HD. It has the same excellent transfers and special features as the physical releases.

3 Likes

When the show ended its first season in the spring of 1966, and the good Sisters of St. Rita’s School kicked us out of the building the first week of June for summer vacation, I spied a copy of Batman #183 in Nat’s Candy Store (under the El on Fulton Street, in East New York Brooklyn) and made my first comic book purchase. And the rest is history. I will reread that book this month and relive a tiny bit of my childhood. Thank you, Adam, Burt and–of course–Bob.

2 Likes

As a kid I remember my Uncle J.E. had an old 1966 Montgomery Ward catalog filled with two or three pages of Batman merchandise. I tried finding pictures of it online, but I could only find this one little bit. I remember just starring at all the Batman toys!

Montgomery Ward 1966 catalog

3 Likes

Nifty story. Do you still have that exact copy of Batman #183?

@mercurie80 Its amazing that for all of the Batmania of that time, very little of the merchandise was actually based on the show itself. A lot of it was Batman in name only, or bore more of a resemblance to the comic iteration than Adam West’s portrayal.

is now reminded of the Batmania book he read when he was 7

I should see what that book goes for now. Might be worth a few bucks to re-read it.

2 Likes

Batmania was so huge that I think various companies thought slapping “Bat-” on something would make it sell! And so much of it did seem more tied to the comic books than the TV show. They didn’t have it in the picture I posted, but I remember they had a toy Batphone like the one on the show!

2 Likes

Absolutely. The “Slap ‘Batman’ on it, and it will sell like hotcakes!” mentality was in full effect.

That’s not the case today, though. Why, today’s merchandise is more thoroughly licensed and-

recalls the Batman toothpaste he had in 2016

You know, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

2 Likes

@Vroom: Still have the dog-eared copy of Batman #183 and a much finer upgraded copy in my collection.

2 Likes

Very cool. Its always neat to go back to childhood comics, isn’t it? The wave of nostalgia is always fun.

2 Likes

Comics, baseball cards, and the latest Beatles 45 record–and of course Stickball. Waves of nostalgia rising up like the mist off the tarred neighborhood streets after a midday shower.

2 Likes

My friend Kat Lively interviewed Burt Ward for her podcast Calling Old Hollywood. You can watch it on YouTube! As usual, Burt is really cool to listen to.

1 Like

Nifty! Thanks for the share, good sir. :+1:t2:

SN: We need some Adam West Batman emojis.

1 Like

You’re welcome!
And it would be so cool if we had emojis like those animated overlays during fight scenes, like “Bam” and “Pow!”

1 Like