Poster Above You Discussion Thread

Discuss the comics assigned in “Assign a Comic to the Poster Above You” here!

4 Likes

I did really enjoy that Batgirl Rebirth annual. It had a bit of retro feel in some ways, while embracing some modern storytelling. Probably not surprising it works for me. Supergirl sounded a bit cartoon Starfire/Miss Martian. but that didn’t stop the overall dialogue in both stories from feeling genuine as I read.

3 Likes

I personally think it was better trying to keep it to 1 issue instead of whole runs. I’d love to keep doing this, but a whole run is too much for me right now as I’m reading up on the legion. Maybe we could hint to the next person whether we want an issue or an entire run for suggested read.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

There’s no time limit on these. You can put whatever you get on your “To Read” list if it’s too big for you to chew at the moment.

3 Likes

Just finished Aztek. I came close to stopping it because several of the beginning issues seemed to be using women as scapegoats, victims, and things like that for story reasons. All the men though seemed to be treated wonderfully. I kept with the title though and started enjoying the character himself and his overall origin. There are some interesting elements to the character and I enjoyed his secret identity. I liked the set up of who knew his identity and think I would have continued reading if there were more issues of the title. So @Batwing52 made a pretty good recommendation. I rather enjoyed this set-up of someone else picking a title to try out, I will definitely be participating again.

4 Likes

@PrincessAmythest
Yeah, Aztek has a LOT of problems, so thank you for trusting me enough to finish it, and sorry for any offense it may have caused. For the most part I recommended it because it’s a rather original Morrison idea that not a lot of people have read, and that I think deserves a second chance, even if Mark Millar’s grubby fingerprints are all over it.

3 Likes

I lost this thread, so I’m reporting in late.

Vigilante’s pretty darned good. It’s a great, straight forward Wolfman tale. It’s funny how you can spot some of Wolfman’s traits. In Teen Titans, Gar is an unabashed pervert. Here, Davis is an unabashed pervert.

But Wolfman takes the opportunity to actually dive into the mind of someone who’s decided to take on the mantel of a vigilante. It’s definitely better writing than one would expect from a D- listed hero comic.

I’m going to have to read the whole series now.

2 Likes

I keep wanting to join in, but I get paralyzed with indecision, trying to decide what kind of book each person might appreciate and who’d enjoy my personal favorites.

I’m probably overthinking this.

3 Likes

You’re definitely over thinking it :grin:

Grab a story by the short hairs and throw it in there!

3 Likes

I’m really hyped for this thread(s). I too was overthinking and afraid to add something over popularized and would be a re-read. But I figured I’d just throw myself into the game. After all, this is a genius way of expanding my library :nerd_face:

The 19 90’s The Spectre. Great book, great art. Nothing like it since. Not for this charecter anyway.

1 Like

So, in those two issues (counting the reprinted stories in #438), Alfred was attacked by a monster, killed by a boulder landing on his head, and nearly eaten by a vampire. Misfit, do you have something against Alfred?

1 Like

I did none of those things to Alfred!

2 Likes

OK, said I read Batman Adventures #3-- well, one of them. There are two on here, and I read the newer one as it wasn’t the conclusion of a continuing story. The Joker has been shock-therapied into a gentler madness, and Harley can’t stand it. I have to say, I prefer OG Harley to New 52 Harley.

@MisfitHighlander
I should have been more specific, but I was talking about the one from 1992, in which Joker basically has his plan from The Killing Joke (but done way, way better than TKJ), but I’m glad you enjoyed the one you read.

Batman 452-454.

@Batwatch, Hourman’s a hit with me. I’m pretty sure I’ll finish this run. Using Snapper as the narrator is a great tool.

1 Like

@HubCityQueztion, I finally finished Batman Black and White (1996) four issues. It took some time because I really like to absorb the art of comics. I went in totally blind and had so much fun reading these books. I LOVE anthologies so this was right up my crime alley! I will say some of the art was tough to comprehend in some panels due to the lack of color definition but overall the stories and moods of the batman tales were so great. My favorite part of series was the spotlight on each contributing artists and writers. They were each their own characters of the batman comics because their individualalities really shown through with each story. Thanks for assigning such a fun read!

I finished the Ray. I actually liked it! The art wasn’t always my favorite but it was okay. I liked the concepts more than anything else, and the fact that he has ties to the Golden Age is cool. I would definitely recommend this to people!

1 Like

@Harley

That’s awesome! Glad you liked Hourman. Some comic shop had the whole collection in a bargain bin, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I love that it’s a modern-ish comic that remembers comic books can actually be fun. So many comics these days strive for the dark and gritty and lose the whimsy and adventure that originally made the medium great. It’s also just a neat concept. You’d think a time god would make for a horrible protagonist, but they find ways to still make him ridiculously powerful while keeping up the stakes. The idea of learning how to become “human” really worked well too, and the dynamic between Tyler and Snap worked well. It’s a hidden gem.

If you’ve never read it, I’d suggest DC One Million as well. This version of Hourman launched with this series, and it’s a great series all by itself which never gets the recognition it deserves. The tie-in issues are probably the best integrated tie-in issues I’ve ever seen, but I won’t spoil them.

Batwing52

I remember the Ray. I enjoyed it as well but have a hard time remembering it. I bought comics when I saw a bargain for a long time which means I’ve read parts of miniseries with major gaps in-between them and often having read them out of order. Still, pretty good series from what I recall.

1 Like