Polls, Polls, Polls: DC Edition! (Part 1)

Just do what I’m doing and read Batman '89 and Nightwing for your current Batman intake. Easy-peasy.

It’s a light-calories kind of Batman diet that does a body good.

7 Likes

This one is actually turning out to be a better read than I had anticipated. It continues and builds on the original movies without being heavy handed with paying tribute to ‘em.

Nightwing, with Tom Taylor, right? Good jumping on point for someone who’s never read solo Nightwing?

6 Likes

Nightwing 78 is a good jumping on point. It has a lot of homages to previous runs, but I think it’s in a way that enhances the background rather than being necessary for understanding the character or plot.

7 Likes

I dropped Batman at #100 and Detective when Fear State began. The only new character I liked was Deb Donavan.

Fortunately, there’s a lot of other Batman comics for me to read

Batman & Scooby Doo Mysteries
Batman The Adventures Continue Season II (the reigning Bat champion book for me)
Bat/ Cat
Legends of the Dark Knight
Batman '89
and I’m reading Nightwing and Robin as well

quick note about Batman '89

August 2021 estimated sales

#1 King Spawn #1: 480,000 copies
#2 Batman '89 #1: 134,000
#3 Batman #111: 118,000

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2021/2021-08.html

8 Likes

@moro Like @c02goddess.16092 said, Nightwing #78 is a good jumping-on point that brings the reader up to speed.

For the things it references, it’s never made to feel like one must read those things to get the current goings-on, they’re just interesting callbacks to the past.

If you like Tom Taylor on Superman: Son of Kal-El, then odds are you’ll like him as much, if not more, on Nightwing.

@CaptainYesterday Batman #100 was where I dropped the series, too. I’ve enjoyed Tynion’s run, but I seem to like it more when I binge several issues at once here, or read an arc in trade, than I ever did when I bought each issue of his run prior to #100 as they came out.

Maybe it just flows better for me in long form, versus month to month?

I’m glad Batman '89 is doing well. Between that, Nightwing and Justice League, they’ve all been scratching my itch for The Bat in current books quite well.

8 Likes

Who has the better transformation?
giphy-downsized-large
he-man-i-have

• Shazam
  • He-Man

0 voters

10 Likes

Definitely Shazam

7 Likes

I would say Shazam but the gif is of the 70s show so I’m gonna go with He-man.

8 Likes

Both are swell Filmation productions, but I’m going with He-Man.

While technically not a DC character, he and the Masters of the Universe brand as a whole have enough of an affiliation with the DC brand over the last near 40 years that he can be considered a “close enough” character, should some want to do so.

6 Likes

Polka dots on those shoes would be fantastic! :+1:

7 Likes

Agreed with @SuperBlueGuyIncognito. :+1:

6 Likes

:black_circle: :white_circle: :wink:
xpd2B
xpd1B
xpd3

6 Likes

:star_struck: WANT. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

He Man’s is actually better but I voted for Shazam for the facial expressions​:four_leaf_clover:

6 Likes

this was hard! Shazam needs a bigger echo and some theme music to kick in when he says it. which i guess might be hard to do in a comic book

Whiz-Comics-2-1940

7 Likes

animation over live action

7 Likes

She-Ra!

9 Likes

#poll

(in order:

OG
Justice Lords
Thanagarian Uniform
Sports Bra and Bike Shorts
Business Casual

8 Likes

Hawkman’s reaction when he heard @MatthewHecht voted against her matching uniform

hawkman-1967_L12

9 Likes

9 Likes