Polls, Polls, Polls: DC Edition Part 2!

The S being designed by Martha has always felt a little off to me. It’s one thing for Clark to want to be a hero and help people, but coming up with “Superman” and putting an S on his chest I feel goes a bit against his humble nature. In my head it’s just the emblem of the House of El (doesn’t have to mean “hope”), its resemblance to the letter S is a coincidence, and the name Superman was given to him by Lois/ the Daily Planet.

But the designed by Martha version is cool as well; gives a simple warm vibe :slightly_smiling_face:.

11 Likes

You underestimate Martha’s knowledge of alien cultures.

14 Likes

I voted based on origin familiarity. I prefer the idea that it means “hope.”

9 Likes

My ranking would go,

1. Death of Superman
  2. Justice League vs. Teen Titans
  3. Batman vs. TMNT
  4. All-Star Superman

Beyond those four, I don’t care about any of those.

10 Likes

This should be fun.
1.Death of Superman
2. Myself vs. TMNT.
3. All-Star Superman
4. Wonder Woman
5. Justice League vs. Teen Titans
6. Suicide Squad Hell to Pay
7. Justice League Dark

10 Likes

I like to think that the Kents made the suit, but Lois came up with the name of “Superman”.

I know it wouldn’t make any sense but that’s my head canon.

10 Likes

That is canon in “My Best Friend: The Animated Series”

8 Likes

Yes has now taken the lead with one vote! This is getting exciting!

9 Likes

Supes’ face needs to go on funny faces for that lol

7 Likes

i always liked the martha resewed supes kryptonian baby blanket or something into the suit because it was harder to destroy and wouldn’t get torn up, that way BOTH his moms made it!

12 Likes

100%. My thing is the “House of El” further removes him from the Kents, making him more alien, and less Superman. Same thing when he identifies as “Kal El” or says “great Rao!” To my ideal, he’s NOT Kryptonian. He’s from Kansas! He’s more human than most humans.

10 Likes

Yeah, his Kryptonian heritage is definitely a big and important part of him both as a character and as a person and is worth acknowledging and celebrating both in-universe by the characters themselves (IE Nightwing and Flamebird) and by fans and DC/WB, but his core as a person is the everyman reporter from a small Kansas town raised by adoptive farmer parents. That’s one of the biggest ways he’s the opposite of Bruce. For Batman, Bruce Wayne is the true mask and Batman is who he is. But for Clark, well, Clark is who he truly is. A lot of what his character is about is how he’s pretty much a god but at the same time… he’s just… a dude. Despite everything he does as Superman, he’s just like the rest of us. He’s an everyman. I remember seeing an author comment in my collection book of the “Black Mirror” Grayson-Bat storyline talking about how they set up this dynamic between the main antagonist who has no empathy or compassion and Grayson-Bat who’s all about compassion. I agree with that assessment of Dick as a character, but I’d also like to extend that to Clark. Like that famous scene where he stops someone from jumping off a building and says “you’re stronger than you think you are, trust me” and hugs them. So while his Kryptonian heritage is important and deserves celebration, it should never override that part of who he is. Gotta have balance. The Clark Kent in him is as important as if not even more important than the Superman in him. :clark_hv_4:

10 Likes

I very much agree with this. This is what I feel makes John Byrne’s The Man of Steel so good. Byrne was weirdly the first writer, I feel, recognized that since Superman was raised in Kansas, taken care of by kind people from Kansas, and only discovered he was Kryptonian after he had matured, he is a human foremost even if he can hold a black hole in his hands.

11 Likes
Who Has the Worst Fate?
  • tim jokes

• batman-under-the-red-hood-preview_440

0 voters

9 Likes

Is Indigo a color? I thought they were a band. :rofl:

8 Likes

it’s teenage blue having an identity crisis

9 Likes

DCAU Jason has a story. Comic Jason has a plot device.

8 Likes

Pants On The Spec? #poll

(courtesy https://twitter.com/ComicContext/)

why do they like to make me think an image is transparent WHEN IT ISN’T

• Pants on the Spec
  • No Pants on the Spec

0 voters

11 Likes

if seeing The Spectre’s legs gives you feelings, that’s okay. it’s normal. but it’s not The Spectre’s problem.

15 Likes

Then he’d just be a shirtless guy. Not everyone can pull off negative space like Power Girl.

13 Likes