Polls, Polls, Polls: DC Edition! (Part 1)

Gotham City Sirens is my fav because:

• Harley’s in her classic duds
  • Ivy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • Catwoman (Kitty! :hugs:)
  • It was the first series to show Harley getting her life together post-Joker.
  • Paul Dini wrote the best of the series (and all Harley fans should appreciate that, for obvious reasons).
  • I’m a sucker for books that star multiple badass ladies (see Batgirls, Birds of Prey and Bombshells, among others).
4 Likes

Yeah, that one really bothers me. I’m not a fan of the original, though I acknowledge the skill in the telling, but turning it into a really cliched "fan"fiction about Babs and Bruce hooking up? Not there for it.

@Vroom - All of those things are exactly why I think it’s important. GCS is still a beloved IP because of the skill with which Dini wove those characters and stories together - making them more than just sexy ladies - though they were absolutely that (thanks, Guillem March!) - giving them goals, conflicts, progression, and feats! That whole period when Dini was working in the comics was so rich, even though he never really wrote full runs. GCS, Detective Comics, Streets of Gotham, and Zatanna - all series well worth revisiting (though for GCS, I generally just stop when Dini stopped. I don’t like where Calloway took the characters at all. :frowning: ).

7 Likes

Not all fan fiction about me is good, but most of it is.

5 Likes

Dini was on fire with his comics work during that time, as I loved all of it. I’d say Zatanna, 'Tec and GCS are among the best things he’s written, regardless of medium.

As for Calloway on GCS, I read that run as it came out, but I remember nothing about it, offhand.

Kind of curious to re-read it now, however…

Also on the topic of Dini @millernumber1, have you read Madame Mirage?

Its was published by Top Cow, and Dini’s wife served as the model for Madame Mirage’s design.

I thought it was fun, and remains one of his more underrated comic gigs.

5 Likes

:nauseated_face: :angry:

8 Likes

I had not heard of that - I’ll have to search it out!

@DC89 you got my back!

6 Likes

:fist_right: :fist_left:

8 Likes

Its :star2: Friday! :star2: :partying_face: :tada:

I’m going to celebrate the arrival of the weekend, DC-style, by:

• Seeing The Batman for the first time.
  • Seeing The Batman again.
  • Reading DC comics, watching DC movies/TV shows and/or playing DC video games. Its a big, tasty multimedia stew and I’m rockin’ my weekend to a big bowl of The Schtuff! :yum:
  • Cosplaying as my favorite DC character because…reasons.
  • Honing my artistic strengths, so as to one day work for DC in an artistic capacity.
  • Honing my editorial strengths, so as to one day work for DC in an editorial capacity.
  • Cleaning runny guacamole off of my Bat-helmet (scroll up a few posts if you don’t get it).
  • Sitting in the corner with an egg.

0 voters

6 Likes

I voted egg because funny, but will probably be reading my comics I’m getting this afternoon so I can stroke their beautiful physical covers. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To date my first edition copy of ekoJ gnilliK ehT (purchased in 1990) sits in the very back of the long box. No bag, no board- nothing. It’s fine the way it is.

:angry: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :angry:

7 Likes

Waiting for rataalada to load and occasionally taking pictures of my cat.

8 Likes

Eggs are fun. 'Specially when you throw 'em at a wall that’s far, far away. :smiling_imp:

threw an egg one time when he was working at Safeway when he was 17, and it was FUN

Substitute “I’m getting this afternoon” for “I got this past Tuesday” and that’s likely my plan, too.

Or I might just zone out on the couch and take a long nap. My work schedule as late has been all over the place.

shakes fist toward the east coast in a playful way

Careful. Some people say you can go blind doing that.

looks at his copy of Trial of the Amazons #1

But, when its Jim Cheung cover art, it’s nearly impossible to resist…

starts to think about baseball, so as to distract himself

Hey, baseball’s happening! That’s neat. :baseball:

I want to call your nifty cat “Seymour”, for some reason. It doesn’t strike me as a “Seymour”, but…IDK…that name just comes to mind.

6 Likes

:purple_heart:

7 Likes

I have no desire to ever purchase that book. I’ve read it, I think twice, and that’s good. I’d much rather read my signed by the artist copy of Oracle Year One again for the dozenth time than force myself to read that. Or even reread Three Jokers or Tynion’s The Joker for something that builds on top of it.

@Vroom I wasn’t planning to throw my egg. I like eating em! (I cooked up some scrambled eggs for my sushi last night, and at the leftovers by themselves with some carrots and cucumbers also for the sushi. Delish!)

My Michael Cho cover of Batgirls #4 awaits me…it’s just too pretty!!!

6 Likes

Well, when I was 17 and working with a co-worker in the back of the Dairy department at Safeway (or “The Safeway” as the older folk call it, on occassion), I didn’t think I was going to throw the egg I did, either.

But you know how it is, your buddy says “Dude, throw it at the wall.”, and you do, then he throws his against the back of the Bakery wall and next thing you know, no more day past their expiration date eggs. :grin:

Dude, I don’t know about **** about sushi (I worked at a sushi joint for two days in 2011, though) but that sounds wicked good. Got any leftovers? :drooling_face:

I too enjoy scrambled eggs, as that’s my favorite way to consume eggs. I occasionally toss in shredded cheese to get 'em all gooey and nummy, and that results in one kick-ass egg feast. :yum:

SN: I loathe hard-boiled eggs. Bleck! :nauseated_face:

Same. It’s right under Nubia #6.

4 Likes

What then JKT editor Len Wein said about my gurrrlll in response to the story scripting is :angry: as well:

M’Kay- that’s enough ekoJ gnilliK ehT for me. My inner Roxie R. is startin’ to get fired up.

8 Likes

This you, chief? :point_down:t2:

6 Likes

When I lived in Tennessee and Virginia, Safeway was my grocery store of choice. Now that I’m back in my beloved Minnesota, I no longer have them, so I shop at Cub now. But I remember my Safeway days quite fondly.

Still don’t really throw eggs at walls, though! I do hard boil them gleefully, especially when I make devilled eggs!

My sister is going to consume all of our leftovers, so none to share, sorry. :frowning:

@DC89 Oh, that story, as well as the whole implication that Batman cares more about Joker than about Jim and Babs, is why I loathe it and refuse to add it to my collection. Just…nope.

7 Likes

Uh-Uh. Roxie Richter from Scott Pilgrim VS The World. She’s how I refer to the fighting mad portion of my personality set. She only comes out when I’m really fired up. Kinda’ like Star when she’s redlining at 10-

7 Likes

Me too, and likely for entirely different reasons. You never forget your first job…

You…MONSTER. :grin:

While its a thing of the moment, I’ve never been bothered by The Killing Joke. As a story, it does what it sets out to do (infuriate the reader at what Joker does). Bolland’s art is beautiful, and some of the best of his career.

As for the movie…well, the whole Bruce and Babs thing wasn’t needed at all, as it didn’t add a thing to the story.

However, one gets the feeling that Bruce and Barbara may have had a relationship of some kind during The New Batman Adventures. Especially since she took over for Dick as Bruce’s #1 costumed ally while he was persona non grata with Bruce at that time.

So, the two being an item wasn’t unheard of prior to The Killing Joke movie. I think if the matter had been highlighted in a more tasteful way, people wouldn’t bristle as much as they do at it.

Still, it wasn’t needed, and Azzarello surely could have found some other way to lengthen the movie’s screenplay other than B&B knocking boots.

Is Todd Scott’s brother? :wink:

So, I can have that DCC Roxy, then? I’ve been looking for it for a while, and if you’re passing on it…

5 Likes