[POLL] What is THE Worst Comic DC Ever Published?

We’ve done this topic many times before, but never as a poll, I don’t think. When looking over lists of the worst comics that DC has ever published, I always seem to see the same six titles mentioned more than any others. But which of them is THE worst comic that DC ever published? Please choose one, or if you don’t agree with any of the choices, please select “Other” and let us know which title you think is worse than any of those listed.

In no particular order:

• All-Star Batman and Robin
  • Amazons Attack
  • Heroes in Crisis
  • Justice League: Cry for Justice/The Rise of Arsenal
  • Countdown to Final Crisis
  • Batman: Odyssey
  • Other

0 voters

7 Likes

For me it comes down to Heroes in Crisis and Justice League Act of God. Act of God has much, much, much better/less bad art so I am going with Heroes in Crisis for the worst.

I love ASBAR. It is so bad it’s amazing.

4 Likes

Dark Knight Strikes Again (the worst comic I’ve ever read)

The Heckler

Infinity Inc. (2007)

Genesis

The All New Blackhawks (1967)

Five Year Gap Legion

I could go for five out of the six on the ballot, but I give Batman Odyssey a “satisfactory” for zany fun.

4 Likes

I have read it cover to cover 3 times, and… I still have no idea what is going on for most of it.

6 Likes

There’ve been some real stinkers. Chuck Austen’s JLA run, the “City of Crime” arc in 'Tec, Larry Hama’s Batman.

But number one for me is a tie between Batman & Robin Eternal and Tynion’s run on Detective Comics. They weren’t just underwhelming, bloated, inconsistent and lazy, they did what the previously mentioned comics I mentioned didn’t do as egregiously: fundamentally change what didn’t need to be changed, and (from what I can tell) all for the sake of one writer’s poetry-filled fan-fiction rather than anything new, necessary, or respectful to the characters involved.

2 Likes

Heroes in Crisis. I didn’t read it but everything I read about it sure seemed horrible.

4 Likes

I did recently read it to experience this badness. Horrible mystery, art, character interactions, fights, and surprisingly predictable.

5 Likes

All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder stands as the worst, but something that should be admired because of how crazy it is. I mean come on, these pages are iconic. It is DC Comic’s “The Room” but with Batman as Tommy Wiseau

And of course, the greatest thing batman has ever said
panel

5 Likes

Yes, everybody forgets that I am not only brilliant, but I am also hilarious.

5 Likes

nvokLD1yQsepggQ832hV_The-Room

10 Likes

I do agree that the mystery, characters, and plot points are bad or predictable but what makes it a step up from something like All Star Batman for me is the art by Clay Mann. Beautiful stuff.

4 Likes

“Oh Hi Clark!”

6 Likes

Jim Lee gave beautiful art (which clashes so beautifully with the writing like a butterfly of bad. It reminds me of “The Prayer” in Quest for Camelot). I thought HiC’s art was mostly very bad facial expressions and body language.

2 Likes

From the list, definitely Heroes In Crisis because it just failed to do what it set out to do. I thought the idea of Sanctuary was fantastic and it was squandered immediately. The mystery never actually felt like a mystery. Not that I guessed the ending but it just didn’t play out as one. Harley taking down the Trinity was absurd and the stink of HiC will always follow poor Wally.
I also personally think Tom King is one of the most overrated and self indulgent writers out there and his dialogue makes me wish for A Quiet Place so people just wouldn’t speak.

3 Likes

Tom King: In my adaptation of a Quiet Place I will have so much internal monologue that nobody can see any of the art with all those thought bubbles. It will be more like “A Blind Place.”

1 Like

Noooooooo. Just sign language “bat” “cat” for pages

2 Likes

I wouldn’t vote any of those titles “Worst. DC Title. Ever.”, as they all have worthwhile strengths to some degree (said strengths don’t necessarily make up for any shortcomings select titles may have, however).

Regarding a modern title that was “disappointing, unsatisfying and didn’t really add all that much to the modern narrative”, that “award” can most definitely be hoisted upon this mini.

4 Likes

The worst I’ve ever read is Millennium. Hated every second of it.

1 Like

I did not hit Robin! I did naaaat!

2 Likes

I did see this one pop up on “worst of” lists a lot, but I decided to go with only one Frank Miller title for the poll, so I chose the more “famously bad” one.

Interesting how people have so many different answers. But there does seem to be an early consensus forming around “Heroes in Crisis”. Also interesting how Tom King is responsible for both one of the most critically acclaimed DC Comics in recent years (Mister Miracle) and one of the most utterly reviled (Heroes in Crisis). Kind of like how Frank Miller produced both Batman Year One/Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again/All-Star Batman and Robin. Bit of a head-scratcher there…