[POLL] What is THE Best Comic DC Ever Published?

We’ve done this topic many times before, but never as a poll, I don’t think. When looking over lists of the best comics that DC has ever published, I always seem to see the same six titles mentioned more than any others. But which of them is THE best comic that DC ever published? Please choose one, or if you don’t agree with any of the choices, please select “Other” and let us know which title you think is better than any of those listed.

In no particular order:

• Watchmen
  • The Sandman
  • All-Star Superman
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  • Kingdom Come
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths
  • Other

0 voters

4 Likes

I have gone on record calling it the best book ever, so my vote should surprise nobody.

Batman Year One should have been on the list.

7 Likes

This is a tough one, but I would have to go with All Star Superman for this one. I love Sandman, but I would say it’s my favorite series, not comic. To best sum up my love for the comic is to read issue 10, it gets me every time

6 Likes

Watchmen gets best

Astro City gets favorite

others worth mentioning

Superman Annual #11 “For the Man Who Has Everything”

The Golden Age

Justice

Detective Comics #475 & #476 “The Laughing Fish”

DC: New Frontier

Great Darkness Saga

7 Likes

This was a very hard choice, I went with Sandman, because I think it’s probably the most scholarly comic ever produced. Though, as I said, it was a tough choice, cause all these are very good comics in their own right. I feel that Sandman edges them out for its pure literary nature.

5 Likes

Watchmen.

Not just the best DC comic but best comic from any publisher of all-time. It’s among the best of all literature.

6 Likes

I just reread Justice this week and it might be one of the best JLofA stories ever. I don’t always like this phrase but it’s a love letter to that era.

3 Likes

Controversial answer. I find Watchmen crazily overrated and All Star Superman was just too much Grant Morrison for me.

8 Likes

Same.

4 Likes

I see Batman Year One on “Best Batman Stories” lists all the time, but not so much on “Best DC Stories” overall lists. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is the one that I see on those kinds of lists.

4 Likes

I normally see them both.

3 Likes

From the list, I guess I’d have to go with Watchmen, but these stories generally aren’t my favorite DC works from any of their respective authors.

5 Likes

So many greats! My favorites are Paul Dini’s Zatanna, Greg Rucka’s Wonder Woman, Batman: The Long Halloween, Tern Titans: The Judas Contract, and Nightwing: The Untouchable.

3 Likes

:rofl: I love that answer!

I can see both arguments, though I love Morrison, Grant can be like Tarantino in a way, where the writing is good, but sometimes their voice is too strong, and edge out realistic dialogue and such. As for Watchmen, as a kid of the '80’s, I grew up with the series, so it wasn’t as over rated as it’s become.

If you’ve never read it before, and have all these people saying “It’s the greatest, it’s amazing, etc.!” I could see finally sitting down to experience it and saying, “Ya, it’s good, but…” It’s kinda like how I felt about “Breaking Bad” when I finally saw it, good, but…

6 Likes

No such thing for me. That’s probably due to the large volume of Bob Haney comics I read as a kid.

6 Likes

I read Watchmen about 15 years ago but that was after about 15 years of reading comics and hearing how great it is/was. I’m not sure why it took so long but by then “dark” was nothing new for me. I like TDKR but kind of the same scenario.
When you come into something after the “game changers” then you only know the new game.

4 Likes

I love most of their JLA and like most of their Batman but the books that go full Morrison are too much for me.

6 Likes

@MatthewHecht: I concur with your choice of “Batman: Year One” as the best comic DC ever published. It alternates with “Daredevil: Born Again” as my all-time favorite comic story; coincidentally (maybe not) by the same creative team of Miller and Mazzucchelli.
And If I may, I would like to add another DC comic that vies for best comic ever–Superman Annual #11, “For The Man Who Has Everything” by Moore and Gibbons.

2 Likes

Here is my favorite comic panel ever, and it is fittingly from my favorite book (not comic book, book).

2 Likes

This is hard, but I am going to go with The Sandman.

1 Like