[Poll] So How Do You *Really* Feel About 5G?

I get it…it’s just really hard to say I’m all in when I’m only slightly interested.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how much do we actually know and how much is assumed? Has DC actually said they’re replacing characters? Have they said Black Label is where classics are going? These are things I’ve read here but not sure if DC has said them. I know the timeline is out there, Generation books have been announced, and something is certainly going on but what have the announcements been?
Maybe I’ve missed official announcements but I’ve read everything from the Trinity being replaced to multiple generation books published at the same time to DC shutting down.
So basically what I’m saying is I have no idea what to feel because I only have assumptions and predictions to go by.
Personally, if they want to do replacements and publish them alongside a “current” continuity then fine. I read Batman Beyond knowing it’s essentially only loosely in continuity because these things change constantly. If they replace and retire characters I’ll just wait it out and maybe enjoy the process. If DC closes I will be sad but be ok eventually because the almighty dollar won’t let my favorite characters disappear.

1 Like

Most of what we’ve heard is speculation. The mention of Earth 5G in Doomsday Clock and the Generation book solicits are the first we hear from DC regarding the whole thing. So yeah, none of the stuff concerning character replacement has been officially confirmed yet. It’s why made the distinction of official and unofficial in my initial post :slightly_smiling_face:.

Officially I think the unofficial information is not a good idea.

1 Like

Personally, I think 5G would have been a fun Elseworlds book. Every time I hear about 5G, it reminds me of a series of Elseworlds stories done by John Byrne, aptly titled “Generations”. It started as a four-part miniseries that’s centered around Batman and Superman (it largely remained that way), and it took a look at how their adventures would change if they were allowed to age in real time and do the things that normal people do, like want to settle down, raise kids, etc. Ultimately, I think it kinda went off the rails, but the point is that if 5G took that approach, I would be really interested in seeing how a new creative team handles that sort of concept.

Now that said, I have no desire of sacrificing the current DC status quo just to see this curiosity of mine play out.

5 Likes

I really wish Elseworlds would come back. It’s the perfect way for creators to scratch the itch when they want to take things in a unique (but maybe too unique) direction. I think it’s also a better way to bring in readers. I don’t think anyone is out there going “Luke Fox is Batman now?! Well I’ve never read comics before but now I know what to do with that extra $4 a month. In fact, I’m a life long reader now” People need to dip their toe in.
In my opinion.
Sorry. If I am going off track from the intent of the poll/post I’ll stop.

5 Likes

No I think the points you’ve brought up are all good points and relevant ones at that.

With Elseworlds though, anything goes, right? It seems to me that this timeline they’re building wouldn’t be accommodating to that.

1 Like

My thing is Diana is immortal. How does a writer age her out of the role? I’m also under the impression that as he has matured Supes aging process has slowed down. I’m pre-confused. If this is even something they follow through with.

7 Likes

Yes with Superman, his aging process…

7 Likes

There will probably be the eventual macguffin that explains the aging & whatnot.

2 Likes

This article from Newsarama where Jim Lee addresses some of this stuff is a bit reassuring.

Notable quote:

“It’s hard to talk about things we haven’t announced. Intention not to do a line-wide reboot,” Lee clarified. “Our focus in talking to editorial team is to continue what we’ve done best: Character-driven stories, pairing right creators on right characters, and developing characters that are inclusive and diverse.”

5 Likes

I’m curious about it.

As always, I’ll wait until the books are out and I’ve read them before I praise or criticize them.

2 Likes

@moro thank you for that article. I was honestly kinda of scared when I heard the rumor that Marvel might be buying DC. I love Marvel comics don’t get me wrong, but I feel like if they bought DC and put the character in the Marvel main universe, it would taken an important part of all the characters of DC. It would have destroyed their history. Now to get that long tangent out of the way. I voted that I’m excited for the 5G event. I like the idea of characters aging in real time, like Savage Dragon of Image (even though the recent issues have been a little “different” then old classics). Also from what I understand, these characters will still have there own series will there successors will have their own at the same time. I’m excited to see what happens. The only complaint I have is that Terry McGinnis isn’t going to be the new Batman. I also kinda hope that not all characters (like Wonder Woman, she’s immortal how are you suppose to age out an immortal) pass on there mantle, I wish new heroes would just step up. Other than that I think it’ll be really interesting. Like Captain Boomerang jr. could have a cool redemption story as the flash. It’ll be cool to see what Jon will be like as Superman. Maybe they’ll address his abuse at the hands of Ultraman. I feel like they never really talk about emotional trauma from a superhero standpoint. They face the worst of the worst and are supposed to just shake it off (I know Heroes in Crisis was supposed to address it, but I just feel like they missed the mark). I think the Far Sector series is amazing so far, and I hope Jo Mullein gets the spot light. I also hope Naomi becomes a more important part of DCU in 5G event. I think her character has so much potential. All in all I’m excited.

2 Likes

I love your enthusiasm :grin:

If implemented in a way where we don’t lose stories about Clark, Bruce and Diana… and they don’t tie them down to a specific time period (my two main criticisms based on all the rumors)… I’d be a lot less apprehensive about it. Jim Lee saying it’s not a line wide reboot helps ease my qualms a bit :slightly_smiling_face:.

Always pragmatic when it comes to this stuff @Vroom. I like that about you!

To be clear not my intention to judge the books before they come out. Just to discuss how we all feel about the rumors/news swirling about.

1 Like

the idea of aging the characters is a slippery slope and far more reaching than most are thinking. If they aged from their continuity year of introduction, a character introduced in the 1980’s would be (probably) in their 60’s. I know they’re fudging the timeline but we would go from a whole universe of characters to every character dead or jacked up on Centrum Silver and Ensure.
Heck, the kids from The Simpsons would be pushing 40.
I don’t want a reboot to constantly change their ages. That’s something I can ignore.

1 Like

Can there be another option like “open to it” or “with exceptions” or something…??? I’m ecstatic at the idea that the timeline of this earth/universe will finally be set since everything was vague, wonky and didn’t really seem to fit together when New 52 started. Then, Rebirth happened and we got all this history back but no indication on how any of it connected, what got retconned, and what Convergence actually changed in the timeline.
So I’m glad the timeline is being set, but I’m not ready for the 5th generation. I want the characters to be ale to learn and grow but at a pace that seems natural and this doesn’t seemed earned at all. So I’m not ready to see everyone be replaced. And 2 of my favorite books are currently in shambles, one is cancelled (Titans) and the other the title character is practically written out of his own book (Nightwing) so I don’t want replacements, I want what I’ve lost restored and I don’t wanna see either of them restored just to get replacements shortly after.

1 Like

I’m more than a little confused at this point. I’ll wait to make an opinion until I have something to judge 5G off of. Right now I’m skeptical.

1 Like

I heard a rumor that Bruce Wayne will be killed off and replaced with a new Batman.

I hope that isn’t true.