Poll: Help Us Rank (Almost) Every Human Green Lantern Ever!

I don’t know if I’ve ever disagreed with one of these types of lists as much as I do with this one. Hal and Alan definitely deserve to be at the top of the list - there’s no Green Lantern without either one of them. Keli Quintela doesn’t deserve to be on the list - she’s not a Green Lantern.

1. Hal Jordan
  2. Alan Scott
  3. Kyle Rayner
  4. John Stewart
  5. Guy Gardner
  6. Jessica Cruz
  7. Charlie Vicker
  8. Simon Baz
  9. Jade
  10. Jo Mullein
  11. Waverly Sayre
  12. Daniel Young
  13. Anya Savenlovich
8 Likes

“But don’t let him boss you around”

If I was drinking milk it would be coming out of my nose right now

4 Likes

Gotta go with Guy Gardner

4 Likes

I know this is a small poll, but how does Hal keep getting his own book? It seems pretty clear from the fans I speak to that Jessica and Kyle are who they want to see.

5 Likes

Kelia is in the list but Jo Mullein who is an Actual Green Lantern isn’t on the list? Also who wrote the article and blames the comic character for a movie and for “genocide” when it was only a few-ish Green Lanterns and he was possessed by the fear entity known as Parallax. Like do you actually read the comics it just Google wikis and hope the information is correct?

6 Likes

Jo slipped through the cracks since her first appearance hasn’t arrived on DCU yet.

I knew I would get some negative feedback for throwing shade at Hal’s bad period in the 90’s, and I willingly accept that. I can promise you I didn’t rely on wiki though…I dug deep…rereading some 60’s and 70’s stuff to get some minor human Lanterns. I read Hal’s tantrum in the 90’s as a kid, and I read his redemption as it happened (and reread it last year for an article). Blaming Hal for the movie was a joke. He doesn’t really lose points for that. The Parallax affair though…

That’s the beautiful thing about this community …you can counter with your own list here, and our choices can generate discussion. Who is in your top 5?

3 Likes

@JoshuaLapinBertone well said. :+1:

3 Likes

Hal Jordan is my GL. He always will be. I like Guy, John, Kyle, and Jessica. But none of them are like Hal. Hal is the embodiment of what it means to be a GL.

11 Likes

@Behemoth that was great. I feel the same way about Alan and Guy. :+1:

5 Likes

Oh, and Alan too. I love Alan!

3 Likes

Never actually got into Simon Baz’s stuff. I really should, now that I think about it. :thinking:

4 Likes

I had to go with Hal. I like Jessica, but Hal is just THE Green Lantern to me. Kyle was my favorite for a long, however they just haven’t done anything interesting with him in recent years

6 Likes

Hal didn’t have a “tantrum” he lost his entire home town. He thought he lost everyone he loved and watched as once again the Guardians sought to do nothing. Mongul was running rampant (who had destroyed Coast City) and they wouldn’t let him even intervene. It was in that moment Parallax took over. Everything after that was him not Hal, not fully. Claiming he alone committed “genocide” is a terrible generalization. I get people are tired of seeing Hal, but there’s a reason he’s the main GL.

I’m not going to debate who’s the top 5 Lanterns because if you have 5 favorites that’s a win in my book. But to oversimplify Hal and his deeds (and deeds he’s not responsible for) is something I will take issue with.

6 Likes

Wasn’t Parallax a later creation made to explain Hal’s actions? At the time, it was just Hal going nuts and then Kyle took over.

I could definitely be remembering that completely wrong.

4 Likes

Correct. Parallax was a retcon to soften the blow of Hal’s actions. Hal did use the name Parallax in those old stories, but Geoff Johns later established that it was a seperate entity that had infected him.

4 Likes

If the poll is greatest GL of all time, it has to be Hal, with John Stewart a very close 2nd. If it is the best Lantern in the last 5 years, then It is Jessica.

6 Likes

The way I see it, Ron Marz engineered a complete character assassination of Hal and nuked the entire Corps pretty much solely to make Kyle look better. I hold that against Kyle, not Hal.

I like Wally better than any of them, though, so I voted for him even though he doesn’t count.

6 Likes

I call foul! Jade is only half human!

3 Likes

My vote changes on whether this is favorite or best. I went by favorite (Kyle) but best goes to Hal.

Favorite top five:

1. Kyle
  2. Alan
  3. Hal
  4. Jessica
  5. John
5 Likes

Geoff Johns practically saved Hal.

4 Likes