Poison Ivy - Why No Standalone Series?

I agree I think if they do it right they can easily get readers interested. They just need to, like you said, find writers and artist who are interested in the project because they want to give her life. I feel as though she is a character who has been left behind everytime DC does a remodel on characters.
I started following Stjepan Sejic after reading Harleen, love his work.
@LuftwaffeP I agree, I want them to keep doing villains!

1 Like

Agree :100: It’s kinda criminal the creative possibilities that are being left behind w/ her.
And yes, loved Harleen too! I’ll be pretty disappointed if all that glorious Ivy work Sejic‘s got goes to waste.

1 Like

If she did get a series I would read it.

2 Likes

I’ve never really found Ivy that interesting. If I was writing a story I absolutely wouldn’t know what to do with her. I mean has she ever been the villain of a big arc? I feel like she’s mostly a supporting character.

A clever writer could certainly find something to do with her but I feel like it would be a hard sell.

I would definitely be interested in seeing one, I suppose it is hard to separate Ivy’s outing without Harley now… however, it might be cool to see something of her own similar to what we see with the new Harley Quinn series where it’s more of Ivy’s perspective of their partnership where she goes off on her own excursions before breaking off completely. Otherwise it might be hard to excite readers on her own mission whatever it may be.

Yes. She had a big storyline by Gerry Conway in the early 1980s where she used mind control to take over the Wayne Foundation. It’s an arc that lasted for six months (Batman #339-344).

Batman 339 Ivy

2 Likes

While that’s interesting, it seems like that plot would wear out its welcome rapidly.

Honestly I’m so used to Ivy being “lady that controls plants” that I forget about the mind control angle, which I usually associate with the Mad Hatter.

Good find. Hit us with the history lesson!

1 Like

That angle was given to the Mad Hatter by Gerry Conway in a Detective Comics issue that ran at the very same time as the final issues of the Ivy arc in Batman. Tetch captures Lucius and holds him for ransom. As if Pam weren’t causing Bruce enough financial woes at the time!

2 Likes

I think she can also be put into the eco-terrorist box to like Rah Al Ghul

2 Likes

Huh. Guess he really liked that idea at the time. I’m only really familiar with his Marvel work though. I’m still catching up on so much DC stuff. Ivy’s one of the characters I’m most familiar with through the Animated Series and Arkham games and I admit, I’ve never found her particularly memorable.

It seems to me the best time for an Ivy mind control story would have been the zombie fad of the mid-2000s to mid-2010s.

1 Like

I can see what you are saying, but I think with the right writer she could be a good stand alone. There is a depth to her that the comics hit on, but never explore fully. Even in the games they show what a powerful character she is, such as Arkham Knight, but again they miss an opportunity with her.
Breaking her away from Harley and looking into her character, DC could have fun with her. They could take her, send her away from Gotham for a few issues to dive into her powers, come back to Gotham when a crisis arises and use her scientific background to solve the crisis. She is a doctor after all so showing more of that side could be awesome. They did a little bit of that in Gotham City Sirens but again it was briefly.

1 Like

A Doctor, sure, but I think due to the amount of doctors in Batman’s rogue’s gallery we need to face the fact that getting a postgraduate degree in Gotham City takes is only about as difficult as breaking out of Arkham.

Considering this post is about PI having a stand alone, I’m not entirely sure why you are so upset over it.
Yes, a lot of people have PhDs in comics, that is another discussion unto itself and there are some wonderful peer review articles about that very subject! Since Ebsco is free right now you have access to just those journals. Although, it is interesting that the only thing you took out of my previous post was my mentioning the exploration of her degree level and intelligence o.O
Your argument was that she is not memorable to you and doesn’t do much, I was pointing out that the mediums you know her from did not do her justice. Good writers can take her character, with all of her intelligence and powers, and create very interesting stories with her. She has a fan base, although it would appear you are not one of them. For those of us who have seen her potential missed within the comic book world know that she is over due for her own series with writers who want to explore her nature.

1 Like

Long over due. And I agree, she’s not always done “justice”, so it might be difficult for some to see the potential being wasted.

1 Like

Agree, it sucks that people think so lowly of her!

1 Like

I’m not sure what I said that implies I’m upset. More than anything I’m apathetic toward Ivy. Talking about how easy it is to get a doctorate/break out of Arkham was just making a jab at the absurdities of comic books.

If someone actually has an interesting story to tell with the character, then her own miniseries could be great. Lots of villains have been one-note gimmicks before that have been reshaped into interesting characters (like Mr. Freeze).

The only thing I was really saying, if anything, is that I don’t think Ivy is really popular enough to support a series of her own, I guess?

I’m pretty sure Sejic’s Isley series is approved and is in production, to go before the Harleen sequel.

1 Like

You have a source for that m8?

Or maybe a postgraduate degree is no guarantee of a steady paycheck in Gotham.

3 Likes