Poison Ivy (2022) | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead!

Well said and exactly where I ended up with it after having the chance to sort through my initial reaction! :green_heart:

My hope is that, if this series does well enough ($$$) to keep it going, there’s no way they kill Pam off… even though that’s looking like where it’s headed.

Whistles innocently, looking around at nothing in particular.

8 Likes

Yeah, at first she was so quick about it, I was thinking it would get lost, but it’s there and I’m sure they’ll revisit it. :green_heart: I’m going to be pretty bummed out if they kill her again. So please don’t!

For the record, I understand the impulse :laughing: trust me, but I like when she’s both. :poisonivy_hqas:#ReasonsHQASissogreat

Almost forgot this awesomeness, btw.

8 Likes

#IfHQASgetscancelledweriot

5 Likes

8 Likes

OK, so here’s this because fun and wonderful. :smiley: :00_harlivy: :ivy_kiss: :00_poison_ivy:

I really dig Christina Milizia’s voicing of Ive in DCSHGs. :+1:

6 Likes

Finally read the first couple issues. Really liked it. I hear Lake Bell now when I read Poison Ivy and that’s not a bad thing!
Hadn’t finished the Fear State event, but I didn’t feel lost, and I like the artwork more than in Harley’s series. I wasn’t aware that she had ever stopped being a villain, so I’m not sure where that comment is coming from, but she has a death wish it would seem. Maybe she’s always had one and we’re just now noticing it?

10 Likes

Agree! I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Lake Bell might just be the best thing to happen to Poison Ivy (after meeting Harley, of course). :poisonivy_hqas:

That’s interesting about her having always had a death wish. Technically we could say all heroes and villains do, I suppose, but perhaps she is “willing to die on a hill” in a way not everyone is—she certainly is in this story. Which :thinking: I guess is part of what makes her so intimidating. She’s like Keyser Soze in that way. :eyes:

Anyway. Really glad you’re enjoying it—thanks for coming by and I hope you keep reading! :books: #MorePlantLady

9 Likes

Agreed.

I still maintain that Ive is one of the most underrated within the DCU in terms of strength and her commitment to her ideals. She’s very much not to be messed with. :ivy_kiss: :muscle:

7 Likes

I feel like there’s a lot of interesting things they could do with her, so YES. :face_with_monocle: I concur.

9 Likes

I think issue three might be my favorite so far, even if at face value not a lot happens.

A few takeaways:

I like the choice of having a chapter where Ivy is kinda distracting herself from her seemingly terminal illness and this horrible thing she plans to do. Showing her making human connections and having a healthy relationship with nature did a lot to help humanize her.

Found it interesting that in the dream sequences it felt like her conscience was manifesting itself as Harley. Wondering if that’s because she’s resenting both her conscience and Harley at the moment or if that’s just the space Harley take up in her mind.

Thought the line “Which is why, even here at the edge of the apocalypse, it still feels better to nurture life… than to destroy it” was a good one for Ivy and gave the comic a nice little hope spot.

If they want you to hate a character without actually introducing them, giving them the title “Employee Efficiency Expert” is a good start.

10 Likes

I really enjoyed issue #3, as well! I like that we continue to see Pam’s internal conflict regarding what she believes she needs to do to wipe out the invasive species of humanity vs. the genuine human connections she makes along the way. Her dream about Harley was particularly telling as Harls has begun to represent Pam’s connection to humanity. If Harley actually catches up with Ivy on her road trip, that could push things to a breaking point. I also really enjoyed the scene where she fought off the plant monster assassin. First, it was a nice touch that she thought it may be the Floronic Man. Then she started to wonder if it was all a hallucination. I really wonder that, too. The creature “attacked” after Ivy was enjoying the news of her plague spreading. Could this have been her conscience taking a swipe at her? All in all, another strong issue and I look forward to seeing what Pam does to the corporate stooge next month.

10 Likes

Good catch, she saw that rune on the diner when she was having negative thoughts about making human attachments too. That being her conscience lashing out at her is a pretty good theory.

5 Likes

Thanks! Recently, all the good Ivy related material has had her at odds with herself. Poor Pam :laughing:

7 Likes

oh how the plot thickens. cant wait to see were this is going but already hope the interviewer gets what’s coming to him.

8 Likes

You all convinced me to check this out and I’m not disappointed! I just read there is another arc coming too in Harley’s Crew’s club thread.

14 Likes

Nice to see we’re getting more issues, makes me more curious about how issue 6 is going to end.

8 Likes

Dear G Willow Wilson & Marcio Takara,
I know I’m terribly biased for this character, but no lie, this was a great issue! The opening pages with Harley were fantastic, I loved her thoughts on hope vs. faith, Ivy admitting she is human and how she won’t be a hypocrite, and again mixed with gorgeous artwork. :rose::muscle: You’re crushing it. :woman_judge:t2: That’s my ruling.

Then, of course, it immediately made me sad, because all I could think was what a shame it is that this is a limited series. So many get her wrong or just don’t use her very well, but that is not the case here. I’m ready for the next issue (and what I have just discovered will be 9 more :tada: :dancer:t2::star_struck:) Congratulations to you both! :green_heart: See ya next month!

Ps. I couldn’t pick a favorite panel, but I’ll go with this one, because it made me laugh.

:poisonivy_hqas: :rose:

Additional thoughts on Dr. Isley, pt3:

I have said many times that Ivy is nothing if not faithful. There is something romantic about this character, and she’ll usually put her money where her mouth is, so I’m happy that this was laid out without mincing words.

As of this week, it’s no longer a secret that I am also a big ol’ Wonder Woman fan. I actually feel that they have some key things in common. The way they use their faith to protect (:face_with_peeking_eye: completely opposite in execution, but still!) and how they view hypocrisy is similar to me. And aside from them being shameless feminists, it’s a pretty huge reason why I love them both: Balance. :balance_scale:

I love when people see the error of their ways, but I’d be lying if I said I didn’t also enjoy when a creep gets what’s coming to them. Others don’t do it at all, or are pretty ineffective about it, but these two are effective. Where Diana would typically talk someone down to get them to do what’s right, before acting in the name of equality—Ivy? :raised_hand: NO. There’s rarely a grace period. You dare put your finger on the scale, she is going to chop it off. Different approach, oh yes, :laughing: but in the end, the goal is the same…imo.

Aphrodite’s Law or Mother Gaia’s—take your pick.

And here’s another song for this leg of her road trip. :notes:

11 Likes

I’m sure they will. It’s just a matter of how brutal, and I can’t wait to find out.

11 Likes

:+1:

4 Likes

Not much to say, but this comics continues to deliver with issue #4.

Now that we got confirmation that “The Green Man” is actually sending plant monsters after Ivy, I wonder what role her hallucinations will play in the story.

I really like Ivy’s internal monologue in this story. The way it built up her realizing she wants to live and then having her immediately moving on and not dwelling on it in that moment was so good.

10 Likes