Poison Ivy (2022) | Book Discussion | Spoilers Ahead!

I have. Really glad to see there will be more! This last one set up what looks like it will be a great next issue. :sweat_smile: Haven’t read this weeks yet. I will tonight.

I read the Greg Rucka story you listed after the last book to fill the time.

I never thought of it that way. I’m reading more of both lately and this makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. Neither let’s anything that creates imbalance slide, do they?

11 Likes

This was a great issue… except for one part. However, I have to say the boss got what he deserved and really was designed to make you want ivy to kill him. Oh, I am looking forward to Ivy vs. what is likely The floranic man…God, I hope she gets her powers back and can now transform into an Avatar of the Green form like the body transformation hallucinations we have been seeing. it’s nice to see Ivy truly reconnecting with her humanity after what she has gone through since HIC.

10 Likes

I loved issue #4. Let’s start with Employee Efficiency Expert, George Halloran, and why he got what was coming to him. First, there are the things he said:

“Nobody wants to work for a living anymore.”
“If you gotta pee, you pee in a bottle. If you gotta do the other thing, wait 'til you get home.”

Then he’s off sexually harassing Jesslyn and silencing employees he knows can’t go anywhere else. Enjoy fungal spore heck, my dude! Seriously, though, he is allowed to tell his side of the story which I do think is important. The guy represents the kind of corporate “tough love” I’ve always had a personal resentment towards, but… we’re all human and even the worst of us have our stories and our reasons.

Also, Pam’s love scene with Jesslyn stood out. First, it was interesting that she could only think of Harley while it was happening. It’s also significant that this is when she decides that she wants to live. Being with Jesslyn> Memories of Harley> Reminded of what she actually has to live for. Poignant.

Very interested to see who “the Green Man” is. I’m guessing it’s not the Omega Man turned Green Lantern Green Man. @Nobody.bladesmith may be right that it’s the Floronic Man, but… we’ll see…

10 Likes

Eeexcellent. :green_heart: I love me some Greg Rucka.

I started writing something for this weeks issue and got pulled away, but :face_with_monocle: I’ll be back… now here’s a variant I was admiring, friends! Talk soon.

11 Likes

Dear G. Willow Wilson and Marcio Takara,
Great issue. Ivy’s motives and struggles remain understandable, from taking out the garbage (maybe I should’ve felt bad when the gross HR creep got murked, but I didn’t) to her one night stand,which was was strangely…a pleasant surprise. She acted human again, and it brought a drive for purpose and completion to the forefront, which brought her back to knowing why she can’t do this. There’s a mystery afoot, too, and the end of this story arc still feels unpredictable…but I don’t want to speculate, so I’ll just say: :green_heart: Well done again.

Love this panel. #GoTeamGreen

:notes: Another track for Ivy’s road trip:

Ps. :rose: I’m only going to do this for the original 6 issues, peeps :laughing: don’t worry!

Additional thoughts on Dr. Isley, pt.4

She’s a “villain”, sure, but Ivy is complicated once we pay attention to how she interacts with people. Sure she was supposed to (possibly/allegedly) represent the women who would seduce you, use you, and throw you away, and who loves money, but that’s not how I’ve personally read her most of the time. She’s the distant one that you crave, but can never have—and money is more about stability and independence than it is greed. Hidden in her anger and isolation is often a tragic longing to be loved and to feel free, and whether they mean to or not, they are playing with it beautifully here.

Her OG bravado isn’t arrogance so much as it’s a lack of trust, and a defense mechanism. Not unlike another alpha I know: Catwoman, who by association w/ Batman gets to be considered an anti-hero. So why can’t Ivy be one?

I mentioned it in regards to HQAS, since it looks like Ivy :crown::rose: will be taking over/giving the LOD a makeover next season (and back to Diana) if anyone can turn Ivy into something that resembles a hero, it’s Diana—someone she respects, who will respect her in return. Someone who leads with her heart just as much as Harley. Someone she can admire for their transparency, in a world where honesty can seem in short supply.

And now :crystal_ball: it’s all becoming clearer why this strange combo are my favorite characters.

11 Likes

Just gonna leave this right here. :rose: Since it’s prob one of Harley’s favorite holidays… :0_poison_ivy_bombshells:

And this upcoming variant :star_struck:

10 Likes

Damn, of course I only find out about this right at midnight on the 24th :sob:

6 Likes

I caught up on this last issue. I was thrown by the hook up. I love Harley and Ivy as a couple so I wasn’t happy about it, but Ivy’s thoughts and the fact that she copped to it right away somehow made it go down easier. Which was weird, but then I thought how much it shows strength in their relationship and that Ivy isn’t a liar. If it were weak, she would try to hide it, right? It also shows that Ivy isn’t only gay for Harley, it’s all the time. I’m looking forward to finding out what’s going on with the green creature-guy who he is and what he wants. He better take several seats when this is over. :triumph:

Without a doubt. So much that she celebrates it 365 days a year! :00_harlivy:I can’t blame her. I’m becoming a little extra obsessed with Ivy myself lately. :rofl:

12 Likes

She took it easier on that guy then I thought she would.

It makes sense that it could be FLoronic Man, but I’m hoping for a new antagonist.

10 Likes

Same. I’m not one for heavy speculation, but I keep thinking of the trailer when she (G Willow Wilson) says “somethings coming that Ivy doesn’t expect and can’t control.”

9 Likes

:face_with_monocle: This is factual. Really glad you’re enjoying it.

7 Likes

God I hope we see Woodrue get what he has had coming to him for years in the next issue.

Ok Ivy’s bat halosenations were fun. it’s nice to be learning more about pans past.

10 Likes

Issue #5 was fun! @Nobody.bladesmith was right, “The Green Man” is Jason Woodrue. He’s not the most original nemesis for Ivy, but he does make the most sense. Woodrue is so creepy and chauvinistic in these pages that I, again, have to question what Pam ever saw in him. However, that’s a loaded question that would send me off on a tangent to unpack, so… not right now.

I also really enjoyed the Batman hallucinations. It seems to me like Ivy needed to see Batman in that moment because she was about to confront a supervillain. It makes sense that she would think of Batman who would be the best model for Ivy to try to emulate in that task. This issue was also a great example of why you should not try to drive or battle supervillains under the influence of experimental psychedelic mushrooms. Let’s hope Ivy can pull herself together enough to get out of this one…

11 Likes

Dear G. Willow Wilson and Marcio Takara,
I think this might be my favorite issue so far! Things really picked up. :eyes: Great cliffhanger. The hallucination brought well placed humor—really enjoyed sassy imaginary Batman sidekick. Smart choice. I cant say enough good things about the artwork in this one either, but the big takeaway: Oh, hi Jason. :neutral_face: I’m not sure how, but ngl, I hope Ivy kills you. Woodrue is always a reliably gross, arrogant creep. Many of my “favorite” villains are the ones who annoy me the most, so…You’re on the list, sir! Congratulations! :clinking_glasses: (He’s also part of why I don’t consider Ivy some mega-villain). Anyway. Well done again. :green_heart: Next issue cant get here fast enough!

So many awesome panels, but this one was pretty fun…

:notes: And she’s getting 2 tracks this month! Because Woodrue sucks! Whatever trick you may have up your sleeve :muscle: stay focussed, mama. And remember: :pirate_flag: No quartuuuuuh! Metallica - "Don't Tread On Me" - YouTube

Ps. :rose:

Additional thoughts on Dr. Isley, pt.5

Woodrue is the right addition. I thought it was him, but I also considered that MAYBE there is a whole new character in play, so the discretion with certain information was much appreciated. I can’t stand it when I see the ending coming… And he really is one of the reasons I simply can’t call Ivy a villain. He will always be worse than her—more selfish, destructive and manipulative. If Ivy were standing between Jason and Alec and absolutely had to choose a side, :woman_shrugging:t2: sure she doesn’t like being told what to do (who does?!) but she’d go w/ Swampy in the end. I have zero doubt she’s :earth_americas: Team Holland.

On that note: Depending on what happens here (and the next arc), Ivy may still be reluctant to embrace her anti-hero-ness , but I’ll quote Amanda Waller: “She hasn’t done anything evil in years.”

Ivy has repeatedly provided shelter and food and protection to the weakest among us in all manner of situations. That’s not exactly evil, but it also means she’s got it in her to be a leader, so after all she’s been through, it would be a big step backwards for her to be a loner again, or to act purely for self-preservation. If she’s not getting an on-going, I’d like to see her become part of a team somehow - Something w/ Swampy or Diana perhaps?? (:stuck_out_tongue: No, I’m not letting go of that one :00_wonder_woman_gold:) It could be extra funny watching our steely, untrusting Ivy try to be social, yes, but she’s unique and she’s been bigger than Gotham for a long time. Seems like the logical step.

12 Likes

I have to go get my gif again… :laughing: Me (little Razzz), deep down, reacting to this situation as I was reading.
200w

8 Likes

:laughing: The entire time I was reading it, I was thinking, “Razzz is probably FURIOUS right now.” :laughing:

Anyway, I definitely agree that Ivy would be :earth_americas: Team Holland. As for where Ivy goes from here after this whole unfortunate episode ends, I think that might come down to IF she gets her powers back or how she responds if she doesn’t. The loss of her connection to The Green has obviously rocked her sense of self and sent her down this path. If she can’t get it back, will she be able to accept who she is now?

6 Likes

@TheCosmicMoth Oh, I SO was, Moth! :rofl:

I’m hoping :crossed_fingers: she can get her connection back, because I’d love to see her get pushed to use it for good. And yeah. I love me some Swampy, so I would love to see them work together as equals, and I’m getting ahead of myself :see_no_evil: I know. But if she can’t :eyes: I don’t know.

Entrepreneur of some kind seems like a good fit, like in Lonely City. Personally I don’t trust writers to not just stick her back in the corners of Gotham stealing jewels :yawning_face: so that’s a big reason I keep blabbing :laughing: :green_heart:

6 Likes

I don’t want to spoil too much, but if you like seeing Pam and Alec working together then you may want to check out Flashpoint Beyond when it hits DCUI, if you haven’t already.

I would love to see them keep Ivy on the road for a bit longer. It shakes up the status quo and helps her grow as a character away from the Batriarchy.

7 Likes

I’ve been waiting on it. That’s good to know it’ll be worth it—consider it done! And yes. Please :pray: let her grow away from the Batriarchy.

(while I’m asking for things :green_heart:) Plz give us this finally? :eyes: It will haunt me for eternity otherwise.

9 Likes

First 4 issues are here now for those in the DCUI Ultra tier.

10 Likes