Pick your DC population

I’m bored with the flu so I’m taking this from another post. I believe the comment was by @Kon-El about cutting down the hero population to keep continuity cleaner. Or something like that.
What heroes would you start with? I think the post said 100 but that’s a lot to list so I went with 25. This doesn’t have to mean reboot their stories and I’m sure my list would create a paradox or two. Non-hero supporting cast don’t have to be listed. I’m not getting into villains either because there should more.
Batman, Nightwing, Robin Damian, Superman, Super Boy Jon, Wonder Woman, Flash Barry, Flash Wally, Green Lantern Hal, Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Oracle, Question, Firestorm, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Catwoman, Shazam, Black Canary, Zatanna, Dr Fate, Elongated Man, Hawkman, Green Arrow, Zauriel.
I tried to mix it up but I’m obviously influenced by the JLA.

2 Likes

I think culling the number of heroes is a bad idea, personally. Everyone has a favorite.

5 Likes

I’d rather see my favorite characters deleted than what happened to some of them in the New 52. They’re still making me nuts with Tim Drake and Dick Grayson. They won’t remove anyone from the main universe though. Well, no more than with any other reboot.

I was suggesting thinning things out for Black Label only. I’m also just thinking out loud continuity solutions. I’m not actually committed to it being a good idea. I was just reading Ambush Bug and found myself agreeing. I just think editorial can’t help the continuity issue when they juggle the history of so many characters. The answer is either let the history play looser or reduce the population, right?

Of course I don’t want to see anyone removed. It’s a disservice to the creators and the fans. This is just if the Black Label is a completely removed universe with its own rules. Anyway, this splash is what got me thinking.

2 Likes

25 is tough. I’d prefer to see focusing on (more) human characters. That being said, I’d likely choose my favorites from JSA and JLA. I’m going to assume certain legacy characters are included and will instead focus on less mainstream characters.

Martian Manhunter
Mr. Terrific
Power Girl
Captain Atom
Adam Strange
Steel
Animal Man
Ted Kord
Booster Gold
Big Barda
Mister Miracle
Madame Xanadu
Hourman
Green Lantern (Scott)
Swamp Thing

Yeah, we just got the JSA back, and it was pretty depressing without them. Getting rid of heroes sounds like a bad idea.

2 Likes

I agree with @Behemoth and @HubCityQuestion, everybody has their personal favorites and while some don’t have much of a story or are barely even referenced there is something about those lesser or obscure characters that adds a bit of charm or unique flavor to DC, and in some cases they compliment or add more development to the many major characters or major storylines of DC even if they are seen or viewed from a small angle or perspective.

Ambush Bug is one such character, that is barely mentioned and has fewer comic series, but the more he appears the more you are invested in his character- his humor adds a flavor that few can match, and his mention of DC culture at large celebrates the comics universally and to what they have accomplished throughout the years.

But if there ever was a deletion I would stick to cores, and one for each threat type -
Wonder Woman (to defend against Magic threats)
Superman ( to defend against Alien/Outer Space threats)
Mr. Terrific ( to defend against Industry espionage and subversion/ and Science/Tech threats)
Batman ( to defend against the Street-level threats/darker aspects- things we can’t account for- the unpredictable)
Swamp-Thing - to defend the Green/Plant life
Animal-Man - to defend the Red/Animal life
Aquaman - to defend the seas and world’s oceans
Monitor - to protect the Multiverse
Etrigan - to protect the Underworld
The Endless - to watch over everything

1 Like

If we can only do 25, I want some good characters, characters that have alot of heart and like what Kon-El said “I’d prefer to see focusing on (more) human characters”. So here’s my choices

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Hal and John), Flash. Green Arrow, Black Canary , Question, Swamp Thing. Robot Man, Robin (Tim), Nightwing, Batgirl/Oracle, Animal Man, The Endless, Huntress, Negitive Man, Crazy Jane, Martian Manhunter, Booster Gold, Atom, The New Gods, Blue Beetle (Ted or Ramisis), Doctor Fate, Shazam

A few honorable mentions would be Zatanna, Jay Garrick, Aquaman, Etrigan, Black Orchid (Gaiman), Elasta Girl (Rita Farr), The Legion of Superheroes, Supergirl, Powergirl, Catwoman, Batwoman, and Batwing

1 Like

I’m not to sure about culling the head, but I’ll give it a go
1.Superman
2. Wally West
3.Batman
4. Aquaman
5. Booster Gold
6. Wonder Woman
7. Dick Grayson
8. John Stewart
9. Donna Troy
10. Hal Jordan
11. Green Arrow
12. Black Canary
12. Alan Scott
13. Captain Marvel
14. Martian Manhunter
15. Barry Allen
16. Ray Palmer
17. Hawkwoman
18. Rip Hunter
19. Mera
20. Barbara Gordon
21. Firestorm
22. Lightning Lad
23. Saturn girl
24. Cosmic Boy
25. Brainiac 5

I really see no reason to erase anyone. Have editorial keep them on the sidelines for a bit? Sure. I get that. But get rid of them? Why? Someone will come along and have a good idea for them at some point, surely. I mean, look at Marvel. The Scourge of the Underworld thing in the ‘80s (it was the ‘80s, right?) practically ruined their villain scene. Also, if I were to erase characters, it would be the A-listers. I’m so bored of just seeing Batman vs. Joker or Two-Face or any of the other major, popular villains. Sideline the Big Guns. Let the little guys have the spotlight for a while.

P.S. I know that monetarily DC can’t do that, I’m just sick and tired of Lex Luthor being the villain behind everything, and Batman always showing up randomly.

Of course, I’ll be nice and play the game:

1. Superman (he has to be there)
  2. Lord Death Man
  3. Cameron Chase
  4. Mister Miracle
  5. Big Barda
  6. Batman (Dick Grayson)
  7. Robin (Damian Wayne) (the idea is that Dick is Batman and Damian is his Robin)
  8. Starman (Jack Knight)
  9. Flash (Wally West)
  10. Kid Flash (Wallace West) (again, the idea here being Wally is Flash, Wallace is his sidekick)
  11. Jonah Hex
  12. Lex Luthor (I know I said I didn’t want every story to revolve around him, but I also can’t bear to see him gone)
  13. Darkseid
  14. Knight (Cyril Sheldrake)
  15. Squire (Beryl Hutchinson)
  16. Martian Manhunter (John Jones)
  17. Oracle (Barbara Gordon)
  18. Batgirl (Cassandra Cain)
  19. Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)
  20. Lois Lane (can’t have a Superman without Lois)
  21. Jimmy Olsen
  22. Alfred Pennyworth
  23. The Question (Renee Montoya)
  24. The Hellblazer, John Constantine
  25. The Riddler (Edward Nigma)

I’m not advocating for a culling, my flu addled brain just wondered what patterns would emerge from people’s choices. And I went with 25 purely because I thought more would be a pain to type and read.

1 Like

I forgot about Jonah Hex and Lord Death Man, they are some of my favorites

1 Like

You also have a fair point, if you remove everyone then the world seems empty,Also, I Wounldn’t get rid of A listers, but keep others to the side so writers can pick them a play with them, In the 80’s I would argue that the more unknow characters like Animal Man or The Doom Patrol were more popular then the trinity.

1 Like