PENNYWORTH =Best DC Comics live action presentation ever!

I have been following the DC universe for almost 40 years. In that time I have read thousands of comics and watched hundreds of live action movies ,series and animated cartoons based on DC characters. Batman since the time I was 4 years old has always been a part of my life ,I was raised on Batman ,my children are raised on Batman and my grandchildren will be raised believing that Batman is the greatest superhero ever. This subject will be argued tell the time of the Apocalypse but in this family Jones family Superman sucks. Now with all that being said I always knew Bruce Wayne /Batmans Butler Alfred was a pretty Kick-Ass dude.(although he wouldn’t be like being called dude,just ask Michaelangelo) long as I can remember I’ve always thought of him as somehow being the first Unknown, Unseen Batman and people called me crazy . I always knew that their could absolutely be no Batman without Alfred Pennyworth. Finally when GOTHAM premiered . I was able to rub it in all naysayer face that Alfred pennyworths was in fact the badass before the Batman. And although in the past I have not been too pleased where is DC’s live productions are concerned this year I have been extremely pleased. DC’s efforts to bring me solid weekly live-action entertainment as was extremely saddened and a little disappointed after ending of Gotham and as much as I like the arrowverse on the CW I find it lacking in the true dark nature that an adult series should bring to the table. When I first heard DC was breaking ground on Titans and swamp thing live action series all is I could think to myself was should I invest in this and how are they going to ruin something I hold dear to me again.,But I have to say I rather enjoy both series. What really blew my mind though was the introduction of Pennyworth this show is by far the best production of a DC character ever made. Never before have I been on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens next. Penny worth has finally Brought everything an adult viewer could want in entertainment value. There’s action , suspense, violence,drama love, romance, family values,with a good.amount of blood and literally guts being spilled in every episode. Not to take anything away from Titans or swamp thing but those shows children’s shows compared to penny worth I highly suggest that any true back fan alive needs to fork over the 7.99 or whatever it is to get the epix app and watch Pennyworth. Finally after all these years and all these disappointments I am entertained.

3 Likes

Well said, I can’t wait till season 2! The final shot of the finale was exceptional.

1 Like

Alfred and Martha though. Wayne should’ve died.

I find it disturbing that you feel blood and guts in every episode made it an adult show. It was the execution at the end of episode two that caused me to walk away. There are many elements that make a production adult and most have nothing to do with blood splatter.

1 Like

I appreciate your reply Jeff and I am sorry you only felt the need to point out the words blood and guts because there was much more than that being said. When I talk about Pennyworth being an Adult program it means I would not let my 7yo. child watch it because it’s not for the faint of heart if you read the the whole discription you must have seen all the other great things that I said Pennyworth brought to the table. Love , Drama , action , humor, brotherhood, family values, religion, politics it’s got everything. I’m sorry you couldn’t stomach the graphic nature of the show but unfortunatly the truth of the matter is this show could almost be a non fictional account human behavior throughout the last century and believe it or not the real world has and still can be an ugly dangerous place if one happens to find him or herself on the wrong end of the culdesac without the protective bubble we seclude ourselves in to pretend Humans aren’t one bad day away from reverting to our lesser evolved Animalistic behaviors. True to form Pennyworth gives the watcher a taste of reality showing us there may be a very fine line between what can ba considered as right and wrong behavior depending on the situation and that what makes a man a hero or a villian is just a matter of perspective. There’s no fairy tail pretending that good always triumphs over evil because in the real world most often than not good usually doesn’t triumph. That’s what makes it adult programing that may not be suitable for younger audiences , the realism and truths alone !ake it adult programing that I would like to shelter my kids from till they are old enough to handle the truth about the world they live in.

1 Like

A thoughtful reply. I pointed it out, since that was the one aspect of Pennyworth that alienated me. I am okay with the killing and the execution but not the unnecessary blood splatter. I love the James Bond movies and there’s plenty of gratuitous violence in those movies. I am not a fan of the dark side of DC, but acknowledge there’s a market for those shows.

1 Like

AT&T TV (former DirecTV) is having a promo for a free month of Epix! Just added it to my package and will finally watch all of Pennyworth. Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Its a good show, but Constantine can’t be beat.

1 Like

Amazing start and finish but it dip a little in the middle

One of the best new shows of the year.

LEXCORP,

I have to say I would love to see a second season or continuation of Constantine And I absolutely die laughing when I see him in Legends he is a great antihero with a kick-ass story. On he other hand his show still had kind of a campy PG-PG-13 feel about it most likely because it was an NBC (if I’m not mistaken ) Network Production that has stockholder based programing guidelines it’s been following since The Donna Read show lol. Now if DC Universe or any monthly premium channels decided to give it a shot I would probably be so exited that Mama Bear might might end up with another cub in mine momths. Nah I’m just joking But ya lol!!!?
Thanks for your thoughts

1 Like

Constantine was far from pg lol did you watch it? It was gory and vile as hell. The only thing it didn’t contain was nudity and foul language (like the f word), both things i can live without.