Paul Dini might be the best Batman writer

I have read lots of Batman, and recently I’ve started reading all the series that come after battle for the cowl. Two of these series are Batman streets of gotham And gotham city sirens. I have to say both series so far have been great. Not only are they good stories but they add so much to the current characters and their relationships. they take minor villains and add a backstory to them that really gets you into them. This is coming off of Paul Dinis detective comics run which was also great. I couldn’t believe I actually liked the gotham city sirens book and only read it because it was part of the Batman reborn event. I hate Harley Quinn and normally don’t like female stories, No I’m Not misogynistic I just can’t relate to female characters the same way I can a male character. I’m Currently Paul is co writing Batman the adventures continues with alan Burnett and I know I’m going to sound crazy but I actually like it better than Joker war. Something to consider when I say that is I don’t like stories that are aimed towards kids and I don’t like cartoon art yet I still feel this way about it. Once again the relationships between the characters are great. Not a lot may happen in Paul Dinis stories plot wise but I feel that his stories are mostly about the characters and relationships and that’s fine.

So if you are a Batman fan I recommend these series and check out Paul Dinis detective comics run.

Also if your interested in reading something new then check out the new Batman the adventures continue comics, it’s something for all ages to read.

2 Likes

Agreed. For me I began to really like his work after I played Arkham Asylum and City. I was sucked into those stories and had a blast but when I played Knight I just didn’t get the same feeling. I learned later that Knight had a different writer which made me appreciate Paul’s writing even more.

1 Like

He is completely underrated, If you like his work, check out Batman: War on Crime. His work with Alex Ross is amazing! Further more, I feel no one really reconnizes him for his work on Batman and Detective Comics, it always flies under the radar.

2 Likes

I read war on crime a long time ago. I didn’t realize Paul dini wrote that though:

1 Like

I’m really glad I’m not alone here. Paul Dini’s work is perfectly in line with how I interpret the characters, and he treats them all with so much respect and care when writing them.

His stories are character-driven, which enhances the readability. He tells the best Riddler and Mr. Freeze stories, which is rare. But I think his gift is in writing everyone like people—men and women, heroes and villains alike.

My mom dislikes both cartoons and comic books, but she would sit down and watch Batman with me sometimes because the stories were that good

I was glad to find this topic, I was feeling like I might be there only one reading Batman: The Adventures Continue. And pardon my issue #8 spoiler, but Mr. Freeze with Nora’s grave-robbed corpse about killed me, I can’t lie.

I am like your mother, I don’t like kids cartoons or cartoon art yet I do like Batman.

You are also correct I feel Paul Dinis Stories is character Driven. Not a lot really happens and it’s more about about the characters, their relationships and their past. He also does such a good job of building up minor characters and villains. Streets of gotham and gotham city sirens does a great job of this and even his Batman detective comics run was great.

1 Like

I’ll say this: I read his detective comics issues. I didn’t know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised! I knew he’s done comics before but this is the main continuity. The stuff he was doing with Riddler was fascinating!

2 Likes

I was going to say his stories remind me of lost where they are character driven and based on relationships and then I find out that actually Paul Dini wrote for the TV show lost which is ironic since that’s the first show that came to my mind when comparing it.

1 Like

Yes I love the riddler storyline where he is a good guy. I’ve only read a little after battle for the cowl so I don’t know what happens to riddler yet but I assume he becomes a a villain again. Which to be fair he ain’t really a hero now because he is only doing things because for money and fame, he just isn’t breaking the law.

1 Like