Other People Who Don’t Have a Local Comic Shop, Where Do You Go to Buy Comics?

I’ve been wondering, because I don’t have a comic show that sells new comics, and they are more focused to collectibles.

6 Likes

Are you interested in getting newer comics? Because you have some options.

3 Likes

Yes, I am. I don’t even know what series are still running.

I obviously have options like doing it online and digitally, or even driving to the next town. I just don’t get that feeling of having a local comic shop. I accept that. I was just wondering how other members coped with it. (I also would rather have hard copy than digital)

4 Likes

I certainly remember those days! When I was younger and was really getting into comics, there weren’t any local comic shops. If I wanted newer comics, I had to go to the corner store and pray they had something new on the magazine racks on the walls (a lot of times they were months behind) It’s frustrating when you’re a kid and you don’t have the means to get new stuff.

My only other option was getting a subscription and that’s a hard sell to a parent. My aunt got me a subscription to G.I.Joe when I was a kid which was very nice and thoughtful. But they often came in the mail bent and shipped weeks after they came out in stores and newstands.

I envy kids and fans today who have a few options at their disposal.

4 Likes

I get them from Comic Shops on EBay, unless I get them digital. I tend to buy everything I like I trade once it’s been released. We did have a local Comic shop here, but that closed 2 years ago. :frowning:

4 Likes

I took to collecting trade paperbacks due to price and convenience. A tpb collects a run of comics and sticks that part of the story arc together in a book. Usually if it takes more than 8 books to complete the arc there will be volumes and they will collect and complete more trades as the comics come to print. Trades are easy to get order from any major book retailer Barnes and Noble, etc etc

2 Likes

I don’t buy any new comic books, I do all my reading through subscriptions like DC Universe, Marvel Unlimited, Weekly Shonen Jump, etc…

I think comic companies hate people like me lol.

3 Likes

Same. Except the only thing marvel I’ve read ever is marvel Zombies (it’s great, I’m on the 4th one) and I might keep it at that.

1 Like

Why? You don’t like Marvel?

2 Likes

@AnonymousHQ’s marvel life:

Marvel: too many big words.
DC: Batman just punched a dude!

And I haven’t been back to marvel since…

(I’m just playin)

(I’ve only been reading comics for about a year now, so the main reason is I haven’t read anything Marvel that i in particularly liked.)

2 Likes

The past few years I’ve been doing this Marvel challenge where you read everything from the beginning in order. There’s a nice list out there that has EVERYTHING, all the crossovers, standalone series, literally everything from Marvel, in chronological order, and almost all of it’s on Marvel Unlimited. I’m currently in the late 70s, right at the rebirth/height of the X-Men. It’s cool experiencing all these big moments that older comic fans always look fondly back on.

Marvel’s different than DC because, for the most part, there aren’t really any “Crises” that reset the timeline like DC does, which means continuity from decades and decades ago is sometimes still relevant to characters’ lives.

1 Like

I’ve used Things From Another World for years. They have unquestionably solid shipping practices and their site makes pull lists super easy. You also don’t have to subscribe, which I also like.

2 Likes

I use dcbservice.com. They have fantastic prices on new stuff and good customer service.

When I moved to my current city I went to the only store in 50 miles. The local shop wouldn’t order anything, even when I offered to pay in advance, so I had to look for an alternative. Recently I found out that Diamond had cut them off (before all this CV19 stuff) so they don’t even get any new comics.

1 Like

The only shop I have access to is also more collectible/cards-focused. They get new titles, but they often sell out so fast that I miss out (I don’t buy often enough to be put on their subscription list).

I’ve also used dcb. Another one I’ll turn to is https://www.midtowncomics.com/. I’ve had occassional issues with delayed orders, but their customer service/chat is always A+.

In college, I would buy a crap-ton at Harrisons because the closest shop near my hometown was 10 minutes away. But usually I would wait for a trade or recently read it here on DC Universe. I’m catching up for Death Metal because I loved seeing Greg Capullo and Scott Snyder back in the day. So basically if it’s Greg Capullo, I buy it (online).

There is a collectibles show that is open three times a week near me that I go to for comics. They have a couple booths of people who sell the new comics and a bunch who sell older comics. Though, with everything being closed down right now I started ordering from a nearby shop that I found online.
I usually just get trades but I will occasionally get good single issues as they come out because I don’t want to wait for the trades.
There is a thread on here that lists a ton of local comic shops and if they are doing delivery or pick up right now. I’m not sure if you’ve seen it. I was able to find a shop near me off of a similar list. UPDATE! 🏬 Put Your Favorite Local Comic Spot On the Map! 🏬

When I was in my early to mid-teens I didn’t have a dedicated Comic shop so I had to get all my stuff from the News Stand. It was actually a full walk in store and not just a shack on the corner. But It was the main place I had for getting the current releases.
When I was in my Junior year of High school my family moved to Long Island and I just about died and went to heaven because there was finally a dedicated comic shop within five miles of my house (an easy walk on a Saturday with the right tapes in my walkman!)
Now I can drive as far as I need to but with all the comic shops being closed during the current crisis, I really can only buy digitally.

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve check out Mile High Comics yet, but they have a pretty huge selection.

1 Like

Mycomicshop.com and Amazon.com

I could use a better source tho.

1 Like

Some book stores carry comics. I usually investigate my local bookstore and they will order ones I am looking for if they dont have it.
Online of course there are more options to go with so it depends on how you want to go about it really.
I try to go through the bookstore since we dont have a local comic book store (they all went out of business or moved to cheaper area to rent :frowning:) so it depends what you can utilize locally. I can find Dark Horse comics more easily since I live in Oregon but it is hit and miss with DC and Marvel comics. Also indie comics I usually just go through the comic’s website since that is the easiest way to find their stuff.

2 Likes