On your mark ...get set ...go!!!! Let the Wally Wood penciler / inker scavenger hunt in the DCU comic book library begin... NOW!!!!

It’s the wild and Woolly Wally Wood penciler / inker scavenger hunt!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wally_Wood

3 Likes

if you hate to post images here just state the exact series and issue and we can find it for you and post for you because we’re all boy scouts here and girl scouts and scouts…

1 Like

Woolly you say?! How about some apropos tunes for the hunt?

https://youtu.be/KZJiGu6Gz8E

1 Like

@DE I was a Cub Scout in my wee years. Jes’ sayin’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perfect music for The Hunt thanks, co- comic book conspirator Vroom!!!

I’m going to have to go run errands, meet my wife at a Saturday evening service as she’s working this weekend so we can’t go Sunday etc so I’ll just put my first entry here and then I’ll see what’s here when I get back!

2 Likes

House of Secrets #96. Story kind of like the Twilight Zone “Eye of the Beholder”. Issue also has a great Wrightson cover and interior art by Alex Toth and Sergio Aragones!

Love the top three panels on this page. Classic Wood!

2 Likes

Wow the guy had the gift to creep me out that’s for sure which is great entertainment

2 Likes

All star comics 58

First.appearance of Power Girl

Wally wood inker

5 Likes

A fun Wally Wood cover with All Star Comics. I admit he was in a bit of a rush for this one apparently but it’s still classic Wally and hey the ywar 1977 was a busy one for DC comic book artists!!

3 Likes

You can say it took them a lot of nights to draw this one get it nights???

2 Likes

All-Star Comics #64. Pretty sure the Supes is a Curt Swan, but the machinery is straight out of Wood’s EC sci-fi work. Only Severin, Kirby, and maybe Darrow come close to that detail with pulp sci-fi contraptions!

3 Likes

Challengers of the Unknown #8

Inking King Kirby

Talk about some early Kirby CRACKLE!

2 Likes

Nobody drew Power Girl better than Wally. I first knew him for his “adult” works. Especially Sally Forth.

He was great at drawing the female form.

3 Likes

Teen Titans #19

Inking Gil Kane, although the book itself co-credits him with the art, and these machines look suspiciously like Wood work…

1 Like

Wally drew his own Superman.

2 Likes

@Misfit Good to know! Was under the impression that during that period Swan drew Superman across titles to keep consistency. I think I read it somewhere in the Fourth World background stuff, but keep finding exceptions to this.

1 Like

Exhaustive Andy reference of everything Wally Wood drew or inked!

https://issuu.com/twomorrows/docs/woodchecklistpreview

1 Like

Another example of Wally Wood inking Gil Kane: Green Lantern 69 (June 1970); that is not a Gil Kane face, it’s Wally Wood’s hand I say!

1 Like

The first page as well features a very Wally Wood looking female face. I’m wondering if he did the lettering too, because the box noting the artist and inker looks real familiar to other Wood comics.

By the way, very sad how his life ended.

1 Like

The reference above is handy as is, but only a preview copy.

1 Like