Omnibus vs Single Issue

I think that is the best size, but they shouldn’t be much longer than that.

I bought the complete Bone omnibus at 1344 pages it’s very uncomfortable to read.

I actually prefer softcovers, just because I think they are easier to hold.

1 Like

I like volumes and trades. Being a better deal pound for pound aside, they flow a lot better as a story if it’s all in the same book. Plus it makes for a beefier book with more meat to it.

2 Likes

Buying single issues made sense back when each issue cost $0.50-$1.50. Now they cost $4, sheesh. Omnibuses may be even more expensive but they’re usually still cheaper than buying all the single issues they consist of individually.

2 Likes

I stopped buying monthly issues when the New 52 started and switched to trades. The biggest problem I have though is beginning a trade series and then DC decides to cancel it before they’ve completed runs/stories. I can’t afford the omnibuses but I do pick up the paperback trades that come out later for a lesser cost. REALLY wish they’d finish the Silver Age JLA series.

1 Like

I’m 100% single issues, it just feels more personal for me. I’m weird like that. :clark_hv_3:
And no reprints if I can avoid it.

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile: That’s the American way, if you’re from America at least

1 Like

I honestly prefer an omnibus. What can I say, I love myself a good hardcover.

2 Likes

If you can’t live without that run from that creative team, go for the omnibus. No shame in reading single issues. It’s the only way to stay current, it’ll just cost you square footage in your residence.

2 Likes

The only HCs I buy are the Encyclopedias and some rare stuff I find at cons.

1 Like

Lol, I have baby library that’s steadily turning into a problem.

1 Like

If an inactive series I prefer the trades, but active ones have to be issue by issue

I do most of my reading on here but I prefer a omnibus. It’s cheaper, easier, and all in one place. Plus I like the literal (or maybe literary) feel of them.

3 Likes

The tactile goodness of the single issue whets the appetite. But, yeah, guess they were cheaper when pulp paper over glossy was used. Not to mention all those ads tbat used to run.

1 Like

I had amassed quite the single issue collection “back in the day”. The is something about pulp paper and comics. However, it eventually became more hassle and I sold it off. When you’ve got 15-20+ long boxes with boards and bags. It raises problems. Storage, access (especially if your storage situation mandates stacking boxes. Then there is having more boxes than you need, because of cataloguing and today, with prices being what they are, is cost.

I went to TPB for most stuff. Stuff I really like and want to keep for future generations, I’ll go hardcover.

I am really appreciating the move to digital. I still need to find a good digital device. My phone and iPad mini are just to small for my older eyeballs.

If I hit the lottery, I’d buy a place and build a comics library room and have a custom set of file drawers made and go back to single issues. Since that’s immensely unlikely to happen, I’m making the move to digital. Just have to find a decent digital reader. Thinking a normal size iPad or a 10 in kindle, I don’t need other apps. I’m not a tablet fan for other stuff. Just a tablet with DCU as basically the only app. What need is the comics equivalent of a kindle “paperwhite”. That was the size of a PB and is great for text. Something in color, that’s roughly the dimensions of a comic.

Any suggestions from folks in a good digital comics reader?

2 Likes

Im more of a hardback collector, omnibus are a bit too much for me, hardbacks are a good middle. They don’t have too much or too little amd its cheaper than buying a single issue at time. The only single issues i buy are one shots because they’re a single issue story.

1 Like

I used to have a basket by my couch with all the month’s newest titles and work my way through. Digital has helped me clean up the joint and use baskets for other things. But, in dreams, I’m still reaching down.

And they make a nice sound as one slides it off the shelf.

1 Like

My city doesn’t have a comics store. With the exception of my 75 Year Celebration Wonder Woman book, all of my comics are digital.

You’re doing the right thing with regards to personal space. I do enjoy having a collection in the cloud. Low maintenance.

:open_mouth:

1 Like