Omnibus vs Single Issue

I prefer the single issue appeoach for absorbing story arcs and limited series over the club sandwich called The Omnibus. I gotta savor the cover billboard and relish the logo screaming and the promise of mindblowing moments fully dimensionalized. Yes, arrange those single issue sliders on a silver platter. Party time.

7 Likes

I’m in the middle. A nice six-to-seven issue trade is neither too flimsy nor too bulky. I can conveniently read it in about 30 minutes.

5 Likes

To be honest, comic books are really expensive. I do most of my reading on here, but if there’s something I really want to read that’s not on here I either go to the library or get a trade paperback. Of course I don’t really keep up with current runs because of this, but that’s something I can deal with while there’s still 80 years of dc history to catch up on.

6 Likes

For me it depends; do I want to get it signed? Yes? Then I prefer single issues. No? Hardcover and omnibus is my way to go then. I’m in the process of swapping out all my TPBs for hardcovers, I just have a really strong preference for them.

3 Likes

Imma tradeback dude. I have to comsume the story knowing i dont have wait a week or so for next installment. Plus, comics are expensive these days, following more than on story gets pricey.

5 Likes

I like the more recent trend of 10-12 issue collections, around 300 or more pages. That feels like an actual book to me.

When it comes to current comics, the over flooding of single issues has become too expensive and overwhelming. And as I’ve gotten older it’s just hard for me to remember what happens in the books from month to month. So I much rather read the stories in a complete chunk. And I’ve really shifted to using “unlimited” subscription services such as this to cut costs.

7 Likes

I love the Omnibus and especially the Absolute versions. These are real keepsake editions to keep in the library. Not for every story line obviously.

7 Likes

I do most my reading on this service and just stay a year behind on content but if I feel a story or run is important (to me) then I go for the hardcover :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I like getting the issues individually. I like the television show aspect where you get an installment every week. Plus that’s the way they are designed. They would just be graphic novels otherwise.

1 Like

I tend to like omnibuses and reading on the unlimited comics services like this one. The singles are hard for me to hold because I have a disability where I move a lot and I don’t want rip them up​:+1:

2 Likes

Trades and omnibuses are my favorite ways to read. Doomsday Clock and DCEASED are the only books I’m reading single issues for.

1 Like

Trades, mostly because of the price and the fact that I’m playing a ton of catch-up right now, but I’ll buy single issues for cover art. I like to frame 'em.

2 Likes

I used to buy single issues, but I lacked storage space. Even trades take up too much space. I pretty much only read digitally now.

1 Like

I, too, am a thousand percent digital all the way, though I still go with the singles.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s like going with the proper aspect ratio for a movie.

1 Like

I had quite a few of those pulp Showcase editions. A fine gateway to history.

1 Like

The future for print in comics is omnibuses and absolute editions. Buying single issues was fine when I was a teenager and into my early twenties. I guess I’m growing up.

3 Likes

@Halloween0fLyra @keylimetyrant I’m with HOL and focus on hardcover and Omnibus editions. Hardcovers are more substantial and last longer than TPBs.

2 Likes

I am loving the new community board. I don’t know what happened but somehow I had “crap,” at the end of Absolute. I praise the edit function.

2 Likes

I guess it all depends on the length of the run or the type of publication? I have a few runs that are 6-7 issues long, and that’s fine for individual issues. But the longer runs, it’s nicer to have it all in one spot.
I mean I absolutely adore the Azzarello/Chiang Wonder Woman Omnibus, but coming in at almost 6 lbs (over 900 pages) it’s a beast to lug around and read.
So I guess it all depends on how you want to read your issues.

2 Likes