Official DC Community Book Club: Superman '78!

In celebration of Superman’s 85th Anniversary, it’s time to throw it back to the year 1978!

Starting on Monday (April 24) we’ll be revisiting the iconic world of one of the most classic superhero movies of all time: 1978’s Superman! In this dazzling story, A bright, shining day in Metropolis is interrupted by a mysterious drone that crash-lands in the city and starts wreaking havoc. Is Superman up to the task? Will Metropolis be saved from Braniac? Don’t touch that dial, and join us from Monday April 24 to Sunday April 30th and find out! Discussion questions will be posted on Monday, April 24th, so keep your eyes peeled and jump into the conversation.

Remember, Superman '78 #1 and #2 will be free to read for the duration of this book club, so head over to DCUI and get ready to get your read on! And don’t forget, we’re celebrating the Man of Steel all month long, so join our Superman Anniversary discussion thread, and share some of that Supes excitement!

Issues #1-#2 Discussion Questions
  1. Great stories don’t just fall from the sky … or do they? Have you ever had a moment in your life where a great opportunity just fell into your lap, or some other crazy coincidence you couldn’t believe?

2. If you worked at the Daily Planet, what would be your ideal position? Would you prefer to be an ace reporter like Lois, a photographer like Jimmy, or something else on the sidelines?

3. We’ve learned repeatedly that Superman’s all about giving second chances, even if they aren’t the most deserved. Where do you stand on giving people a second chance?

4. It’s never fun running into an old enemy, much less admitting you need their help. Do you think it was hard for Superman to come to the conclusion that he needed Lex Luthor’s insight?

5. Superman is put into a very difficult position: leave Earth forever, or else risk having the entire planet be destroyed for harboring him. Do you agree with his choice of surrendering or do you think he should’ve tried to tough it out longer? Similarly, do you think he COULD have toughed it out?

6. A true hero never runs out of zippy one-liners! Say you were a hero meeting Brainiac face-to-face for the first time. What would be your devastating zinger?

7. Brainiac refers to Kryptonian life as an “infestation” that must be “cut out”. Why do you think he saw Superman as such a threat?

8. Early on in the second issue, we see that Lex Luthor’s on the hunt for a new job. Say you were on the hiring team at any given company; what job would YOU give him? (Mind you, he’s a criminal mastermind and an apparently lousy tipper!)

As always, a DC Community Book Club isn’t complete without some great digital perks!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
Digital Bookmarks
19 Likes

Love it! I’m adding this picture on my tablet home screen…

Love the Christopher Reeve Superman since I was little, he was such a great role model, can’t wait to read the comic with him vs Brainiac, he’s one villain that should’ve appeared in Superman 3, but sadly Warner Brothers wouldn’t allow it. Great to see him in the comic. :grinning:

8 Likes

Rock on!

Head Banging GIF - Head Banging Waynes GIFs

Loves me some Superman V, i.e. Superman '78 (and so too do the Mirthmobile crew). :metal:t2:

7 Likes

Awe:superman:ome™:+1:. Funny enough just finished reading those but nice to chat about them.

4 Likes

Awesome! I forgot my wallpapers I Made

5 Likes

Excellent series.

Fun fact.

Superman is 85. That means Superman: The Movie and Superman II are now in the first HALF of his history.

7 Likes

Warner Bros produced a spiffy new trailer for Superman '78 here:

:00_superman1: :00_superman1: :00_superman1:

8 Likes

Discussion questions are up now!

5 Likes

One of my immediate thoughts reading this:

“maybe he’s born with it, maybe it’s Maybelline”

5 Likes

Hey @Jitsu,
Hope you’re doing well, here’s the answers to your questions. :smiley: :superman_hv_1:

1. Yes. It was how fast I was able to get a kidney Transplant in 2000, It was originally suppose to be July 28, but it was bump up to July 11 due to a guy who didn’t want a surgery. :slightly_smiling_face:

2. I’d be a editor, Perry White gets all the fun bossing a reporters around! LANE! Where’s that story of ‘My Interview With Superman?!’ :laughing:

3. Boy you really got me there, if the person is willing to change his or her way for good, then yes they do deserve a second chance.

4. Probably did, Lex did try to kill him in the first 2 movie and…Let’s pretend Superman 4 doesn’t exist, so I’m sure it wasn’t easy.

5. He really made a brave choice for the safety of Metropolis and Earth, I’m sure he’ll find away to somehow out smart and defeat Brainiac.

6. “Brainiac I presume?” :neutral_face:

7. Being trap in a bottle, you have to wonder how anyone can survive without food or water coming to Kandor, Lara did say she miss the rain. :cloud_with_rain:

8. I’d give him a job at a restaurant working in the kitchen to wash dishes, he gotta learn life is hard, even doing a job you don’t like. :plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery::plate_with_cutlery: :0_lex_luthor1:

Well that’s it, have a great day @Jitsu and thankyou so much for making Superman78 a book of a month.:grinning:

:superman:

3 Likes
  1. DC published a comic book based on the 1978 Superman movie. I never did think I’d see the day.

2. Editor. Correct Lois’ spelling, listen to Jolly Jonah rant for a bit, take it out on Jimmy, ask where Kent is, that’s the life.

3. Second chances yes. But that’s the last chance. And I’m not talking about one of those Major League Baseball Steve Howe kind of last chances either.

4. It’s happened a few times over the years. Lex can’t take over the world if some other thing is out there trying to destroy it.

5. I agree with the choice. Find a way later when you have a chance.

6. Who gave Kojak a spaceship?

7. Well he is kind of changing the course of human development. As much as editorial will allow that is.

8. I’d hire him as a real estate agent. He’d have every lot on the west side sold in a month. Of course, he’d probably blow up every lot on the east side to do it… How about comic book writer?

3 Likes

Also, if DC is taking requests, I’d like to see Elliott S! Maggin’s Miracle Monday and Last Son of Krypton novels made into comics.

5 Likes

Questions

• Great stories don’t just fall from the sky … or do they? Have you ever had a moment in your life where a great opportunity just fell into your lap, or some other crazy coincidence you couldn’t believe?

I’m not sure :thinking:. There’s been moments with my twin were we’ve done similar stuff without trying. Like in 3rd grade one time during and essay test we wrote the same story but weren’t near each other at all during the test. That was a crazy coincidence.

• If you worked at the Daily Planet, what would be your ideal position? Would you prefer to be an ace reporter like Lois, a photographer like Jimmy, or something else on the sidelines?

Jimmy’s photo job. I enjoy photo modes in games and such. I think I could get some nice shots :sweat_smile:.

• We’ve learned repeatedly that Superman’s all about giving second chances, even if they aren’t the most deserved. Where do you stand on giving people a second chance?

Everyone deserves a second chance. A lot can change if it’s given. Not guaranteed but you don’t if you don’t try.

• It’s never fun running into an old enemy, much less admitting you need their help. Do you think it was hard for Superman to come to the conclusion that he needed Lex Luthor’s insight?

Yes. Even though good and forgiving Lex is the most Mr person supes struggles to trust or even bd kind to. As Lex is someone who knows how to get under his skin.

• Superman is put into a very difficult position: leave Earth forever, or else risk having the entire planet be destroyed for harboring him. Do you agree with his choice of surrendering or do you think he should’ve tried to tough it out longer? Similarly, do you think he COULD have toughed it out?

I think he made the right choice. Not a permanent choice but surrendering gets him more time and the people to safety. With Brainiac being new here I don’t think he had time.

• A true hero never runs out of zippy one-liners! Say you were a hero meeting Brainiac face-to-face for the first time. What would be your devastating zinger?

Have a knuckle sandwich. It’s good brain food. :sweat_smile:.

• Brainiac refers to Kryptonian life as an “infestation” that must be “cut out”. Why do you think he saw Superman as such a threat?

Well he’s kryptonian. As we know they destroyed their home world. So brainiac probably sees them as threats to other world ls yet still wants to preserve that knowledge.

• Early on in the second issue, we see that Lex Luthor’s on the hunt for a new job. Say you were on the hiring team at any given company; what job would YOU give him? (Mind you, he’s a criminal mastermind and an apparently lousy tipper!)

Make him flip some burgers. Bring him down a peg :laughing:. Really though probably a leading mind in some tech developing company or something. Even though evil he would like to be known for making some great invention to boost his ego.

Overall really liked this series. The story was great and felt just like movies. Very nice read.

4 Likes

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

6 Likes

Welcome to DC Universe @zackpillard.:slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I would give Lex a job that doesn’t require trust. It would also have to be a job that he is interested in and that motivates him. Lex would never last in a job that he doesn’t feel like it helps him to reach goals and that doesn’t use his brains.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @zackpillard and @litterbox.25306! Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything :superhero:

5 Likes

Welcome to DCUI @zackpillard and @litterbox.25306! :smiley:

litterbox.25306 = best DCUI new username of the month! :smile: :smiley: :+1:

6 Likes

Yep- when I got called up to dance on Ms J.'s All For You tour. :smiley: :dancer: :dancer: :dancer:

Showbiz/Celeb news desk with Cat Grant. :+1:

Absolutely yes. Especially for those that you love.

It was probably a bit difficlt for Supes’ to acknowledge Lex’s 'superior intellect but he always puts his personal feelings aside when it comes to saving the day. :00_superman1:

He made the right choice. His eternal optimism probably reminded him that there would be chance to thwart Brainiac’s plans down the road as long as he kept his eyes open.

yep, He’s :00_superman1:uperman. :smiley:

I’d be like “Wow. Talk about internet addiction. Look at you. Yowza!” :smile:

If I was hiring Lex for PR/Promotional Work I’d have him on press outreach for clients. Lex is ruthless when it comes to getting what he wants and he’s have the entertainment news sites eating out of the palm of his hand. Mm hmm.

5 Likes

Definitely moves with a bit more pace than the classic trailer, but why oh why did someone take one of the most recognizable musical cues and soundtracks in recent existence, that people know from first listen even if they have not seen the movie, and replace it with random, not related or even thematically relevant, sounds?

I’ll tackle the balance of these later, but if I [2.] “worked at the Daily Planet,” I might actually be a press-person. I worked on my high school newspaper, and had actually worked on a student run paper as early as elementary school, when we used a ditto master and that same, hand-cranked machine, that the teachers used to run tests (we were a small, poor school district) versus a photo copier, and we ran a very short page-run irregular (meaning infrequent) school newspaper.

But in high school, we had an actual, honest to gosh printing press, and even though at one point I was the student editor, I also had been taught and often ran the literal printing press, and I think one of my affections for books has been the smell of printed paper and ink, which is why cracking open a fresh book, and the physical feel of books, to this day, is still a very real pleasure to me.

Yeppers.

@zackpillard @litterbox.25306 welcome on board!

4 Likes