Official DC Book Club: Harley Quinn: The Animated Series - The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour #1 & #2

Agreed! It often throws me off when characters in comics based on cartoons are so “off-model”, but I do really enjoy how expressive everyone is. I love artists that can get a genuine laugh out of me through characters’ expressions and body language alone. Will definitely check out more of their stuff

4 Likes

Harley craves reciprocation. Harley gets out of her relationship with Ivy what she puts into it, which is a far cry from the time and effort she spent on Joker. For Ivy, Harley represents the opposite of the isolation she’s felt her whole life. A true partner who’s down for even her wildest impulses. Someone who finally says “yes” instead of “no.”

I think it’s the most faithful carry-over from the show. Eat Bang Kill’s comedy tone is very different from what we’ve seen on TV, but this part at least is consistent.

They’re obviously, to me, in the delirious honeymoon phase. They have a lot of heavy issues to deal with, which are hinted on here, but which we’ll probably see more of in Season 3 proper.

Harley and Ivy both want to be loved for who they are without having to change themselves. But… who they are isn’t exactly perfectly healthy. Therein lies the conflict.

”Wearing the pants” is a fake concept rooted in heteronormative gender role coding. True relationships are about equality. And while the power dynamics between Harley and Ivy aren’t static, neither is the “authority” figure.

7 Likes

I’ll do issue #1 first and then hit issue #2 later.

They are both survivors of a similar sort of trauma. With Harley, that trauma came at the hands of the Joker who used her insecurities to manipulate, control, and abuse her. As Harley mentions in issue #1, Ivy “takes care of” Harley and helps build her back up after her relationship with the Joker finally ends. Harley falls for Ivy because their friendship is nurturing. Ivy is able to nurture Harley because she suffered a similar sort of trauma at the hands of her father, which Pam alludes to near the end of the issue. This allows Ivy to fall for Harley because she sees a kindred spirit despite their outward differences. Also… I kind of think Ivy admires Harley’s strength by rebounding from her trauma, but… more on that later.

I think those conversations are evidence that the pre-Joker Harley is still in there somewhere. Because Harley is so zany and chaotic, it’s easy to forget that she was a gifted psychologist before The Joker messed with her head. To me, these conversations represent the voice of that gifted psychologist cutting through the trauma and chaos to advise Harley on a more… mature…? level. I don’t know if we can quite say they keep her “balanced” because… Harley… but they do seem to keep her in check when it comes to something important to her (like her relationship with Ivy).

This is a tough one because I think a partnership is only as “healthy” as its participants. At least, I’m told that you can only open up to love when you can truly love and accept yourself. This is where we are currently hitting a wall with Harlivy. Even though Ivy helped nurture Harley through her post-Joker trauma, it looks like Pam has some unresolved trauma of her own causing problems. In issue #1, she expresses guilt over how her wedding from Season 2 went down, she wishes she can be exactly what everyone else wants her to be, and she echoes the sentiments of her abusive father. Basically, Pam is not accepting or loving herself at the moment. This causes her to retreat from Harley after the news segment on her wedding, and if you’re retreating from someone it’s tough to build a “healthy” relationship with them. There is hope because of the nurturing aspect of their relationship and because they are fun when Ivy forgets to be guarded. However, they have a ways to go…

At the moment, I don’t think their goals/hopes are aligned. I think that Harley sees a soulmate/life-partner in Ivy and is trying her best to drive the relationship forward under less-than ideal circumstances. Currently, Ivy seems to be feeling guilty over her love for Harley. As I mentioned before, this is preventing her from fully embracing the relationship. When you feel really guilty about something, sometimes you allow yourself to just drift through life. Instead of making choices that will make you happy, you “punish” yourself by sort of floating through your own life like a ghost. That’s where I think Ivy is at. She’s not currently embracing the relationship and she’s not currently present but she is allowing Harley to carry her through it as an expression of her own guilt.

This is another tough one, but I’d say that currently neither is. In my answer to the last question, I said that Harley was driving the relationship forward. This would make her seem like the “leader,” but… I’m not convinced. Harley isn’t so much an authority figure as an agent of chaos. She isn’t pushing Ivy out of a need to control but because she thinks it will be fun and romantic. I would probably consider Ivy as the more authoritative personality, but, like I said, I think she’s currently allowing herself to drift. We’ll see if any of this changes moving forward…

5 Likes

It’s cool! I’m good at unpopular opinions, too. I hesitated to reply because, end of day, it just kind of sounds like this series isn’t your cup of tea. However, you took the time to voice your opinion, so, sure, let’s get into it.

Essentially, I think you’re mistaking the intentions of the series. To start, there’s a difference between a “protagonist” and a “hero.” A protagonist is the main character of a story. A hero is someone who stands for some greater ideal. A hero can be the protagonist of a story and they are usually the protagonists of superhero comics like:

Peter Parker is a superhero protagonist of a superhero story. He represents the ideal of “with great power comes great responsibility” in a way that normal people cannot. That’s what makes him not only a hero but a superhero because he has the power to fight for that ideal.

Harley Quinn the Animated Series and The Eat. Bang! Kill. Tour are not meant to be superhero stories. Harley and Ivy are the protagonists, yes, but they are not necessarily meant to be “heroes.” At least not in the way you are thinking of with Spider-Man. I get the sense that you haven’t watched the Animated Series. But, basically, Harley pursues a career as a supervillain in the series. Ivy would probably not agree with being labelled a villain, but she certainly doesn’t consider herself a superhero. What I’m saying is, they are the main characters of the story but you aren’t necessarily meant to read them as “heroes,” or, at least, not as superheroes.

I see Harley Quinn the Animated Series and this comic book more as an exaggerated sitcom than as a superhero series. Harley, Ivy, and their supporting cast come off like humorous and exaggerated versions of real people. So, rather than putting forth a grand ideal like “with great power comes great responsibility,” HQtAS is trying to make you laugh while saying something about the behavior of everyday people. So, you know, it’s trying to do the job of any good comedy or satire.

For example:

I disagree with this assessment of Gordo. He’s not really the villain here. In the series, Jim Gordon is just a guy with issues that he’s avoiding and avoiding those issues cause him to act petty (this is a big theme of HQtAS). So, sure, Gordon is pursuing Harley and Ivy as an authority figure. However, he’s really pursuing them because Harley ruined his chance of getting the key to the city. In this universe (which is separate from the main DC Universe), Gordon is upset that he never gets any credit for defending Gotham. Instead of dealing with this insecurity in a healthy way, he uses it as an excuse to take his anger out on Harley and Ivy. So, I don’t think Gordon is a villain here. He’s just a normal guy acting petty.

And this is where the exaggerated aspect of the plots come into play. If you or I act petty, then maybe we upset a friend, co-worker, or family member. We cause something bad to happen but… it’s not necessarily cataclysmic. Because the cast of HQtAS are over-the-top characters who live in a “superhero” universe, when they act petty things tend to blow up. That’s why Gotham was in ruins at the beginning of the story. As they explain in issue #1, Harley got “friend-zoned” (not exactly the way I’d put it) and this lead to her destroying Gotham. So, they weren’t portraying the destruction of Gotham as desirable. It, again, was the case of someone (Harley) not dealing with their issues in a healthy way and something getting broken because of it.

So, I think I understand what’s troubling you. You think they are using a stance against “authority” to justify murder and destruction. However, I don’t believe that’s the point. Harley and Ivy aren’t superheroes upholding the grand ideal of anarchy. Harley, Ivy, and all of their friends are just people with insecurities and traumas. When they refuse to deal with these hang-ups in a healthy way, bad things happen (just like in real life). They only become “heroes” when they choose to confront what is bothering them rather than let it become wanton destruction (choosing to confront your trauma IS pretty heroic, in my opinion). That’s what I think the main message is in both HQtAS and this comic series.

Also… it’s a comedy so it’s all supposed to be taken with a grain of salt.

6 Likes

I appreciate your perspective, which is different from mine, but I totally respect. Thanks for your reply. I do get the difference between protagonist and hero/heroine. I do think DC has been trying to take this protagoinst and “heroize” them, much like Marvel Comics tried to do with the Punisher, etc. But completely respect your point of view. My background does not view violent cirme as any type of comedy, so you are right, from my own life experience I can’t appreciate it in the way that others might.

5 Likes

I’m not much of a Punisher guy either, so I kind of get that. The characters I back as my “superheroes” usually take the no killing approach because the no killing approach leaves the door open for rehabilitation. In that spirit, though, I would argue that, at least in her current main DC Universe series, Harley Quinn is taking that journey of rehabilitation. But… that’s probably a different conversation that strays from the point of this thread.

Thanks for the reply and the perspective!

4 Likes

W1

• What do you think attracts Ivy and Harley to one another?

I think it there shared experiences bringing them closer together. From being Batman villains to Ivy help Harls out with Joker and Harls helping Ivy in Arkham. Also what they ad to each other. As Ivy brings stability for Harls and Harls bring excitement. Of course not as black and white as that but you get it. :sweat_smile:

• How do you feel about Harley’s conversations with the doctor version of herself? Do you think this keeps her balanced?

So so. More of her thinking rationally as the doctor is what she sees a rational her. Can balance her but also make her rebel and go crazier so to speak.

• What do you think of the relationship dynamic between Harley and Ivy? Do you think they have a “healthy” partnership?

More or less. It definitely has some warming up but overall I’d say it’s healthy. Relationships aren’t perfect and they don’t have to be to be healthy. No abuse there are issue but they work through them talk it out have fun and they truly care for each others well being. Seems healthy to me.

• What do you think Harley and Ivy want out of their relationship? Do you think their goals/hopes for the relationship are aligned?

Not sure. At most I’d say to be happy with the person you care about. Wether it settling down or going crazier.

• Who do you think “wears the pants” in the relationship between Ivy and Harley? Do you believe one of them is a “leader” in some way? If so, why? If not, why not?

I’d say it more equal but leans one way depending on the situation. (More on Ivy a lot) as Ivy keep Harley in line but Harley does sometimes to to get Ivy out of her head and looks at what’s in front of her.

5 Likes

This week’s discussion questions are now posted!

5 Likes

Here are my answers after reading the first issue, which I really enjoyed:

1. I think Harley and Ivy are drawn to each other because they’re both damaged in different ways, and can understand each other and be themselves with each other.
  2. To a certain extent I think it’s very helpful to be able to “step outside” yourself and reflect upon and analyze your actions and behaviors. Although if you literally think there’s another version of yourself talking to you from a mirror, that’s less healthy.
  3. Given that they’re both violent and unstable criminals with serious mental and emotional issues, I don’t think any relationship they’re in can be totally healthy, but I do think they’re supportive and good for each other in a lot of ways.
  4. Based just on this issue, I would say that Harley wants Ivy, and Ivy seems to want Harley but it is very conflicted by the repercussions of choosing to be with her.
  5. I don’t think either one is completely the leader, but Harley seems to be taking the charge more, primarily because she seems to be in a much happier place.

And for the second issue:

1. Apart from just being apparently totally unstable and deranged, I do feel like there’s probably an element of jealousy in Gordon’s reaction. He can’t have his happily ever after with his wife anymore, so he doesn’t want two of his biggest enemies to have that.
  2. Ivy seems a lot more concerned with how her actions affect other people, while Harley apparently doesn’t think at all about imposing on others, or boundaries as far as what’s appropriate.
  3. I think it could just be that she can tell Ivy is going through a difficult time, and Harley is just being Harley. Plus on a more pragmatic level, I don’t think Ivy is someone you’d want to get too upset with you.
  4. Absolutely not. Harley and Ivy aren’t an immediate threat to anyone, and Gordon is causing an insane amount of damage.
  5. I feel like Ivy has done something very significant that’s had side effects for a lot of people, and not just her, and she really needs time to think about it and accept it, and decide if it’s what she wants for the future.
5 Likes

W2

• Why do you think Gordon was so struck by Harley and Ivy’s dialogue regarding Barb?

I think it a mix of jealousy that villains are happier than him as well as maybe a split second of reality hitting him before he went back to his hunt.

• Based on the dialogue Harley and Ivy have on page 9, how do you feel about their approach to relationships? Do you think they have different viewpoints on how to manage romantic partnerships?

I think they have different viewpoints but they’re closer than they think. In the end they both know it will require some work and self reflection to bring them closer together. They just have different ways of doing it.

• Why do you think Selina is willing to watch the Hyenas for Ivy, but not Harley?

She just likes Ivy more. Not as close to Harley especially knowing she won’t be able to ask a favor back from her and have it done correctly​:sweat_smile:.

• Do you think Gordon is taking the right approach to stopping Harley, Ivy, and Selina? If so, why? If not, why not?

Definitely not. Disregard for public safety and the safety of his team. Definitely out of control.

• What’s your take on Ivy’s inner dialogue throughout this book? How do you think she feels about recent events in her life?

I’d say overwhelmed and conflicted. She rushed into this decision she was already struggling with and it causing some chaos it’s getting to her.

3 Likes

I love seeing Harley and Harleen interact like this. It definitely strikes a balance and also shows she’s still ties to reality. A little.

8 Likes

Just in time to give my thoughts regarding issue #2:

Nothing hurts quite like love gone sour. On Reddit, there’s an infamous answer to the question: What does being in love feel like? I’ll paraphrase the anonymously posted answer: “Like there’s a button in front of you that says, ‘press this for free cookies,’ but every time you press it a bird poops on your head, but you keep pressing it, and once in every 100 times you get a cookie. And it’s the best cookie you’ve ever had. And while you’re eating it, you realize you’ll willingly get pooped on 99 more times in hopes of getting another cookie. …Then one day, the cookies stop coming.”

Harley and Ivy are getting their cookies. The cookies stopped coming for Gordo a looooooong time ago.

I think that Harley has decided that Ivy is it for her. The search for a soulmate is done and it’s Pam. It will now be Harley and Ivy until the end. For Ivy, I think she’s so mixed up about what she wants that she just can’t commit like that right now. She’s willing to enjoy Harley’s love and company, but she’s unwilling to say it will be forever because I don’t think she’s really figured out (or maybe accepted) what she wants. Harley is going to try to pull Pam closer while Ivy is going to try to keep Harls at arm’s length.

Look, I love Harley and I have a lot of sympathy here because I behave in a slightly similar way, but Harley is a garbage friend because she is an agent of chaos. Harley has no regard for anyone else’s time, patience, or property. She means well, but she just inconsiderate of the sensibilities of others. In comparison, Ivy is more responsible and respects boundaries. That’s probably why Selina has a bit more respect for Pam.

Nope. Gordo is being REALLY reckless. He’s going for the win regardless of how many civilians or police officers get hurt. That’s bad. To be fair, though, this is not really about Harley and Ivy. This about feeling inadequate next to Batman, his failing marriage, and the fact that he’s just stopped drinking. He’s going through some things and making bad choices. We’ve all been there…

I’ve said it before, but I think Ivy feels REALLY guilty about how her failed wedding to Kite Man went down. Her guilt centers around two things: 1) Not being able to be “what everyone wants her to be” (Kite Man’s wife). 2) Letting the whole thing get to that point in the first place (she knew she loved Harley and didn’t really want to marry Kite Man). Because he guilt is so strong, it is now spilling over into everything. Everything is now her fault, according to her. Pam can’t do anything right and everyone else suffers for it. This kind of thinking will lead to a breaking point.

3 Likes

Getting a little off-prompt here but wanted to check in to say it’s pretty interesting how the first episodes of Season 3 blatantly contradict the events of this comic several times. It’s clear that the creative teams weren’t collaborating.

4 Likes

I was wondering that from the trailers…
:frowning:

3 Likes

Welcome back to the community @Ozzilla! :partying_face: Glad to hear you’re enjoying these issues as much as I am. If you need anything from the moderator team, please don’t hesitate to let us know! :harley_hv_1:

4 Likes

I don’t think you phrased that question right, I think… What?

Page 9? None of these questions make any sense to me.

I think Catwoman relates to Ivy more than Harley, I mean, she and Ivy are both more morally grey characters with depth as both heroes and villains, whereas Harley is even more chaotic, and while she has depth as a person, it doesn’t really lend itself to being good or evil, whereas Ivy and Catwoman have both good and evil in their backstories… If that makes sense.

We’re talking about the same Gordon, right? Of course not! The question in itself is disturbing!

In the immortal words of Seth Meyers, “I’m gonna be honest, Sean, I think it’s dad stuff.”

Also, I saw the three-episode premiere and is anyone else in love with the decision for Harley to style her formal “Best Couple” hairdo after one of the first openly bisexual characters in animation?

Asami hair comparison

1 Like

My experience during this book club theme (in case anyone is interested):

I am behind on replying. Why? I really have been completely Harley Quinn’ed out. I was fortunate to be there when she was introduced in the Batman Animated Series. What a great character. In recent years, I have been feeling like they have oversaturated everything with the character, and I really wasn’t a fan of much of the recent attempts to make her a top tier major player.

I tried the Harley Quinn cartoon on HBO Max when it first came out, and I was immediately turned off by it…likely due to the feeling of saturation and they tried too hard to throw in cursing and gore.

When I heard about the book club theme, I forgot about Harley Quinn’s own animated series, and I jumped in thinking it would be about the Batman Animated Series Harley Quinn. I realized right away no such luck, but still finished the first comic for the book club discussion. The whole thing really seemed off, and I was wondering why Gordon was a priest.

Why am I adding all this to the discussion? Because of this book club, I started watching the cartoon so I can figure out what is going on in the comic. I have to say I am getting a kick out of the cartoon now. There are things I am not much of a fan of, like what they are doing to Gordon, but it is a funny take on the Batman related characters.

I am behind on answering book club questions, but thanks to this group, I found something else to enjoy in the DC worlds.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing.
Though I was immediately taken in by her animated series, I can relate to feeling Quinned out. I think she’s a hard character to get right. Because a… let’s say… BIG personality like Harley’s can easily get annoying if not written/performed with a lot of thought and care, I would agree that DC could stand to not oversaturate her, but I don’t too much Harley is necessarily the problem in and of itself. Luckily, the most high-profile interpretations of her are, IMHO, really good. Both the animated series and Margot Robbie’s portrayal on the big screen understand that Harley isn’t some cartoonish meme machine (like certain mouth-ed mercenaries I could mention), but rather an extremely complex and unwell individual.

5 Likes
  • What do you think attracts Ivy and Harley to one another?
    I think their respective loss and abuse gives them an empathy for each other, able to be with someone on their own intellectual level, their ability to by their to assist each other through their problems, and the fact they are both driven individual, ultimately trying to make the world better, but maybe going about it wrong. Also their differences as opposites attract HQ an extrovert and Ivy is more of an introvert, so they keep each other balanced.
  • How do you feel about Harley’s conversations with the doctor version of herself? Do you think this keeps her balanced?
    I always enjoy a character’s inner dialogue, as it reveal things about them and moves the plot along, and yes it does keep her balanced as we are seeing her decision as to what action to take.
  • What do you think of the relationship dynamic between Harley and Ivy? Do you think they have a “healthy” partnership?
    I love their dynamic, especially the way they feed off of and support each other; as to healthy for two such troubled should, it is as healthy as it can be
  • What do you think Harl and Ivy want out of their relationship? Do you think their goals/hopes for the relationship are aligned?
    I think they both want love and a partner to support them, ultimately though their individual goals such as HQ redemption and Ivy’s saving the plants could cause them to grow apart.
  • Who do you think “wears the pants” in the relationship between Ivy and Harley? Do you believe one of them is a “leader” in some way? If so, why? If not, why not?
    Although from appearances it is normally Ivy giving way to HQ desires, ultimately , that is a choice she makes from love and to avoid confrontation, when push comes to shove I believe Ivy wears the pants so to speak.
  1. Why do you think Gordon was so struck by Harley and Ivy’s dialogue regarding Barb?
    *Because, he has a lot of guilt regarding Babs. *
  2. Based on the dialogue Harley and Ivy have on page 9, how do you feel about their approach to relationships? Do you think they have different viewpoints on how to manage romantic partnerships?
    HQ has found her soulmate, Ivy is not sure yet.
  3. Why do you think Selina is willing to watch the Hyenas for Ivy, but not Harley?
    *Selina understands likes and respects Ivy, and probably pities her for her relationship with HQ; and HQ is annoying like gum on her claws to Selina. *
  4. Do you think Gordon is taking the right approach to stopping Harley, Ivy, and Selina? If so, why? If not, why not?
    No there is a right way to be a cop, and in this story Gordon is doing it the wrong way
  5. What’s your take on Ivy’s inner dialogue throughout this book? How do you think she feels about recent events in her life?
    Conflicted and tortured over finding happiness, based on her treatment of Kite-Man and past actions.
3 Likes

I love reading dc comics

2 Likes