Official Batman Movie Discussion Thread! (Spoilers!)

I thought also he was going to be Tommy Elliot. So he would be Riddler instead of Hush. But I really like who he was instead. I’m sure that might be a thread they save for a future movie though.

3 Likes

I know that there is a recency bias and I’m going to have to see it a couple more times to be sure, but…this could easily be the best live-action Batman movie yet. At the VERY least it’s in the top three. This kind of movie – a dark, gritty, character-focused detective drama is EXACTLY the kind of Batman movie I’ve wanted to see since I was a wee lad just getting into comics.

• Which comics do you think inspired The Batman the most?

Outside of the books that Reeves has mentioned – Year One, The Long Halloween, and Ego – two more stories come to mind.

The first volume of the Earth One definitely seems to have played a role, between the interpretation of Alfred, Thomas Wayne running for Mayor and Martha Wayne come from the totally mentally stable Arkham family. The final act of Riddler flooding Gotham also reminded me a lot of Zero Year.

• How do you feel about this new take on The Riddler’s aesthetic and methods?

The methods aren’t entirely new – the death traps he uses reminds me a bit of the Riddler in the Arkham games. The aesthetic…it definitely fits the character in this story, but I will say I prefer him in his green suit and bowler hat.

That said, the scene with Edward talking to Jo–er, "Unseen Arkham Inmate, I get the feeling that we will see Edward again, and thanks to his theatrical new friend, might have his more iconic suit there.

• How does Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of Batman change your view of the character, if at all?

I don’t know if I’d say it changed my views. If anything, I think it really felt close to the Batman I see in my head: the angry, melancholic man who fights a never-ending battle with demons both external and internal, and saves lives in the process.

I LOVE how Batman’s biggest, climactic act in the movie wasn’t just a big fight or a powerful gadget, but him willing to sacrifice himself to save the lives of the innocents in Madison Sqa–er, Gotham Square Center.

• Any thoughts on the new version of Batman’s suit? What about his Batmobile?

LOVE the suit and the Batmobile. The suit definitely fits this world and medium, and the muscle car Batmobile looks great and is a breath of fresh air from the crazy concept cars we’ve seen since the 90s.

I will say that one little nitpick I have with the movie is that while I like that the costume was body armor, it seems a little…too efficient to the point of deflating some of the drama, and was a bit inconsistent. I mean, Batman can tank several clips of machine-gun fire, but he can be dropped from a shotgun blast?

• How do you feel about the score/composition of the film’s music?

I LOVE IT. I’ve seen some call Michael Giacchino the John Williams of this generation and I can definitely see it.

8 Likes

Why?! Why bring in the Joker!!! Can’t we have a Batman movie without him!!! That really soured the movie for me. Are writers scared of having anything with Batman without the Joker?

2 Likes

Just saw it, and man oh man was it a ride! I love the fact on how much screen time that featured Pattinson in the suit. The car chase scene was so well done definitely up there in top 5. And all the fight scene’s were well choreographed, especially when he fights against the Riddler followers. And all of the cast members did an amazing job throughout the whole movie they got me sold on them. This movie had a strong feel of both Batman Earth One and Batman Telltale feel to it with a lot of the story with a sprinkling of Akrham Origins as well. So can’t wait for the trilogy!

6 Likes

I’d probably give it a B+, I agreed with basically everything you said.

4 Likes

I mean…the implication is there. But it’s subtle. It’s what saved that reveal. If they’d been any more overt with it, I think it’d have been not as great. Let Riddler be Riddler.

3 Likes

This is the first Batman movie that I feel depicts accurately my ‘gateway’ comics. All the 90’s Batman feel that has been missing from the films. Putting aside the two that we know were inspirations, because we were told they were (ie Ego and Year One), I adore seeing nods to Long Halloween - with the film beginning on Oct 31 and the climax happening on The Fifth of November (a nice easter egg) - Haunted Knight (which shares some ideas with Ego), the obvious Hush references and also the suggestion of No Man’s Land at the end. But what I really really liked, it that it felt like a nice little arc right out of Shadow of the Bat. Those comics are the Batman I think of when I think Batman. BTAS in there too, along with the Arkham games. And the subtle undertones of the more modern Court of Owls-y stuff.

The score is hands down incredible. The cinematography is art.

I think the thing a lot of Gen Audience people are missing is that this movie really is about Bruce realizing that it’s not enough to be vengeance. He has to also be hope. And Batman isn’t enough. The city needs Bruce Wayne too. I’ve see people complaining that he doesn’t feel like ‘Batman’ because he doesn’t have that established dividing line between the identities yet, but they fail to see the point of the film, clearly, if that’s what they came away with. That whole concept is definitely built off of Ego - the whole opening sequence, really, with the journal voice over.

Speaking of the opening sequence, this is the first time I’ve palpably felt that people were really scared of Batman, rather than being ‘told’ it over and over again. I think the idea of having all these street perps looking into the shadows and wondering “is it tonight? is this the night that it’s me?” An excellent choice overall.

I noticed that the violence level I expected was MUCH lower in the film than the trailer suggested. They so easily could have taken it to the next level, but I think the choice to rein the violence in really highlights the social violence perpetrated on the citizens of Gotham by the corrupt infrastructure. A solid and noticeable choice.

I’m a big fan of horror - I used to work in a haunted house - and usually Jump Scares don’t get me, but there were a few in this film that did, which was a pleasant surprise. Even better than some of them were Batman.

Really loved Selina - I’d say this is the definitive Live Action representation of her, in terms of homage to the comics of the last 20 years.

WhenI thought for a minute that they Went There with killing Alfred I was really unhappy. I’m glad they didn’t though. We already get too much of that in the comics.

Speaking of what we get too much of in the comics… why. why did we need the Joker scene. Just…cut away from Riddler banging on the glass and call it good. It would have been perfect.

Anyway, roundup: favourite scene is the climax battle in the rafters. Favourite score piece is from that same scene Bat in the Rafters Part 2. Love all the mob stuff, love the real Detective stuff. All the supporting cast was phenomenal. Pattinson did a great job. Nice to get the contacts in there - I liked having that little detail and that it was the only really large techy thing. Good use of music as motif - Happy to have Something in the Way appear in the film.
9.5 of 10 only because of the Joker moment.

Controversial statement - Dano was legitimately terrifying and I think he edges out Heath Ledger.

11 Likes

Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this since Tuesday. I love that fact that Riddler kept saying Bruce Wayne. You see Batman almost defeated only to realize Riddler doesn’t know his identity.

Also I’m kinda glad that we didn’t get another Thomas and Martha Wayne getting gunned down scene. Tomorrow I’m taking my niece to see it again.

8 Likes

I was super glad he didn’t know. It saved the whole Hush thing from taking centerpiece over the Riddler plot.

4 Likes

Dug it, thought everyone was wonderful in it. My biggest beefs are horribly superficial. I think Batman should be bigger and buffer and my Alfred a little suaver. However both actors did wonderfully and im just a jerk. I was expecting way more blood and violence and a little bummed at that front (for my own tastes) however thats all the negative i have for it. Batmans detectiveness and newness to his way of life i thought they showed amazingly. Batmobile fing rad!!! I really liked Collin Farrells penguin cant wait for more of that along with Jeffrey Wrights Jimmy Gordon. Really have hi hopes for both of those spinoffs! Zoe Kravits Catwoman was pretty purrrrfect. Yeah so those are my take aways. Dang good Batman movie

5 Likes

Welcome back to the community @steelneena! :batparrot: Please let the moderator team know if you need anything.

3 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

Welcome welcome! Glad you’re here! :smiley:

2 Likes

well, it was a large gage shotgun blast from near point-blank and might have been a deer slug instead of birdshot. ‘Assult weapons’ weapons also don’t use full rifle rounds and insted use less powerful rounds. also a deer slug is bigger than a rifle round so that would floor him from close range.

3 Likes

I agree with pretty much every point here! I would add that I do think the movie could have been a bit shorter… But at the same time, I wanted to see Bruce reinvigorate the Martha Wayne Foundation/orphanage. Also, I wanted Penguin to pick up a top hat during the end voice over, lol.

• Which comics do you think inspired The Batman the most?

Year One, Long Halloween, Zero Year

• How do you feel about this new take on The Riddler’s aesthetic and methods?

I still don’t like the costume. I guess it made sense for the ending, but I prefer his modern look and personality in the comics. He almost felt more like James Jr here.

• How does Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of Batman change your view of the character, if at all?

Doesn’t change it, but I love that the movie focused on his detective skills as well as moving from vigilante to hero. As mentioned above, I wish we got to see this growth in both personas.

• Any thoughts on the new version of Batman’s suit? What about his Batmobile?

I liked the suit. I wasn’t sure in the previews, but it was awesome. Batmobile was ok… I think the car chase end and aftermath were cool, but overall the chase was too long. hides

• How do you feel about the score/composition of the film’s music?

Music was great! I loved the ambiance.

• What do you think about the variant book covers inspired by The Batman ? Are you planning on picking them up?

They’re ok, I guess. Not planning on picking any up.

4 Likes

I think Batman: Hush inspired it the most. Riddler knowing Batman’s identity, the references to the Elliots. Hell at one point, “HUSH” was put on the screen.

I didn’t like Riddler’s costume, but I loved his methods (in an entertaining way, not a good way lol). The gore was great IMO.

I loved Battinson! His portrayal of the pain, trauma, and loneliness in Bruce was amazing!

The music was one of the best parts IMO.

I had no clue they existed, but now I want them lol.

The only things I didn’t like were Riddler’s costume, Catwoman’s cowl, and the fact the Batman only used the Batarang once, and it was to cut a rope.

2 Likes

First off, this was definitely a good movie. Solid performances - you never regret Pattison being cast in the role. Zoe Kravitz is great. No bad performances and no one miscast for their role. The Riddler takes the cake for scariest, creepiest Batman villain. Several effective moving moments in the film. The characters all had motives that made sense.

The negatives are all basically the pacing and the level of suspense. The movie really loses steam in the last half hour. I was initially excited to hear it was a three-hour movie, but there’s a real scarcity of mounting tension - much like a deflating tire as it gets to the end. In retrospect, I think they could have shaved off plenty of “the rat” part of the mystery - didn’t honestly understand how that ended up making sense. So cut have lost some of the whodunit aspect, and definitely lose some Riddler cell phone broadcasts.

Reeves totally embraced the Batman’s roots and didn’t shy away from the central elements. It dared to fiddle with the Bruce Wayne’s and didn’t outrage me in the process. So it didn’t settle for just giving you more of the same.

I hope it leads to a number of sequels. Having said that, I will be in the mood for something a bit different the next time out.

3 Likes

Which comics do you think inspired The Batman the most?

It’s a collection of comics that I famously dislike: Earth One, Zero Year, and The Long Halloween. (Was Matt Reeves on here reading my posts and trying to track down the source material that was most likely to put me off of the film? What did I do to him?)

How do you feel about this new take on The Riddler’s aesthetic and methods?

Annoying. I didn’t want another Jim Carrey, but I never bought the character as the Riddler until he took off the mask. His methods were discount Heath Ledger Joker.

How does Robert Pattinson’s portrayal of Batman change your view of the character, if at all?

Nope. He goes in the same pile of forgettable Batmen as Val Kilmer.

Any thoughts on the new version of Batman’s suit? What about his Batmobile?

They looked awful. Like, embarrassingly so for a theatrically-released film.

How do you feel about the score/composition of the film’s music?

Was there music in this film? I thought someone just kept hitting the same key on the piano over and over and then called it a day.

What do you think about the variant book covers inspired by The Batman ? Are you planning on picking them up?

I have zero desire for artwork inspired by this ugly, murky-looking film.

Now, if I sound like I’m being a little harsh on the movie, I should say that it’s still better than Batman Begins, for what that’s worth.

2 Likes

today i saw the batman it was amazing give 5 star for great cast amazing scene awesome story batman is epic robert and zoe was great as batman and catwoman make me want to see it again

3 Likes