Official Batman Movie Discussion Thread! (Spoilers!)

One thing for sure, this movie will never top The Dark Knight!:slightly_smiling_face:
Giving the Riddler a second thought makes me thankful for Frank Gorshin and Jim Carrey’s Riddler. I don’t like the idea of basing a well known villain on a real life serial killer.
I wonder what McDonald think of this film, Batman Returns sure is way better then this film!
Batman movie should be fun and entertaining, even with a bit of dark tone.
This film was way over the top. Didn’t like how it has so much language, I get it, it’s a murder mystery movie, but I don’t hear Sherlock Holmes cussing so much.
If McDonald wants to apologize to Tim Burton and the fans of Batman Returns, I’ll be waiting, which I doubt they will.
Do I want to see this movie again, no. Do I want to see The Dark Knight again? Yes. Do I want to see Batman Returns again, oh yeah.
With The Batman & Joker, why do DC allow such a dark depressing film? I’m not really entertained by them.
Here’s hoping for better upcoming films by DC…except for the Flash. That film is already ruin by The Flash actor’s bad behavior.

6 Likes

Even in the oft-derided Batman & Robin, there’s plenty of evidence that Schumacher and Akiva Goldsman were familiar with the comics. Just look at Poison Ivy’s origin story, which draws upon both the pre-Crisis and post-Crisis versions of her origin. Her first origin involved her professor/lover poisoning her in an attempted murder, only for her body to adapt to the poison. Her second origin depicted her as a student of the Floronic Man, whose experiments upon her gave her the ability to produce poisons naturally.

And the same is true for any number of characters in Schumacher’s two films. Dick Grayson’s origin in Batman Forever is obviously based on Detective Comics #38, but his theft of the Batmobile is a nod to Jason Todd’s post-Crisis origin story, and the scene in which he rescues Batman from the rubble is inspired by a key moment from Tim Drake’s debut, where the Boy Wonder-to-be dons an old Robin costume and saves Batman and Nightwing from the remains of a building that had been detonated by Two-Face.

Speaking of Two-Face, it seems that Schumacher is the only one who remembers that the villain traditionally themes his crimes around the number 2…

5 Likes

Ditto

2 Likes

Okay, that’s a good point about Poison Ivy’s origin.

And that’s news to me that the pulling-Bats-out-of -the-rubble scene is a Tim Drake reference, so kudos to Schumacher for that.

They didn’t have much choice on what they did for Robin’s origin - everyone already knew from the animated series that his parents are killed in an acrobatics fall. But, uggh - they have to add a Grayson sibling who’s like 30 years-old to obscure the fact that they’re giving us a mid-twenties Dick Grayson. They have to kill off the brother too, since otherwise he’d be the one adapting Dick. Is that a recognized movie trope? The un-named character who only lives long enough to make another character seem younger in comparison?

3 Likes

That might be why they did it. Or maybe Schumacher just wanted to give Chris O’Donnell’s stunt man a chance to appear on camera. I dunno. :man_shrugging:t3:

But yeah, the decision to depict Dick Grayson as a college-aged character (with an actor even too old for that) was an odd departure from the absurdity of the Golden Age comics in a movie that was otherwise all-too-happy to feel like it had materialized straight out of 1948.

But I suppose I want some more of that classic comic absurdity. And if I can’t get it out of The Batman, maybe the DCEU can finally give me Batfleck v Bat-Mite?

4 Likes

I think the choice to work with an older actor came down to limited shooting schedules for actors under 18. Big budget shoots are notoriously long days.

4 Likes

Well, here’s hoping that Pattinson gets his wish for a 13-year-old co-star in the future.

Robin drafted

6 Likes

@Kon-El-Prime

Long time no see man! Nice to run into you again around these parts :slightly_smiling_face:.

4 Likes

:wave: How ya doing there, Bibbo?

3 Likes

Agreed, and when I heard the movie would be skipping the origin stuff, I was actually kinda excited. I also agree with your take about the lack of iconography being appropriate because it’s early Batman. I agree with both points in theory. The execution left us with a shell of a Batman that’s only identifiable because of the pointy eared cowl and the bat symbol… oh and the “detecting”. They just stripped everything down way too much.

I always took Batman 1989 as early Batman. Criminals were just learning about him, and Gordon saw him for the first time at Ace chemicals. There wasn’t much in terms of origin either. Just the flashback with Napier. Much better Batman movie, imo.

Can I add one last gripe? The Bat symbol kinda sucked. I know it’s a nod to his early appearances, with that thin headless design. It doesn’t work for me in live action anymore than the little triangle would for Superman’s S.

4 Likes

Doing well. Indulging in some minor movie bashing here, but otherwise trying to keep a positive outlook on stuffs!

3 Likes

Knox said that there have been 8 sightings in just under a month, so it’s Batman: Month One. :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you. That’s much better proof in the pudding than my ramble.

4 Likes

It’s okay. I get it. I’ll die thinking Batman Forever is far more enjoyable than this new flick. Honestly, Schumacher created my favorite Gotham City in Forever. I get tired of the gritty realistic takes on these characters sometimes. You can be serious, but lighter (see Suicide Squad and Shazam). Maybe I’m just jaded by real life, but I like my comics stuff to be an escape.

4 Likes

As far as I can tell, Batman Returns, Dark Knight, and The Batman are all taking place at about the same spot in Batman’s career

3 Likes

What feels taken from where?

I don’t think they’ve used actual film for a while

agreed here

where did Burton reference the Adam West show?

Maybe the studio didn’t want a minor doing this kind of stuff?

4 Likes

The Joker defacing the paintings in the museum is a direct callback to Pop Goes the Joker

4 Likes

What did you guys think of the Batmobile?

3 Likes

Loved the look of it and the roar of the engine sounds awesome.

3 Likes

Yeah me too I just wish we got more of it

4 Likes