OFFICE HOURS VOL II: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Oh noo!! Sounds like you dodged a bee-llet. :honeybee: ā€¦Get it? Iā€™m done.

11 Likes

ā€œHi, my name is Applejack, and itā€™s been 22 years since the last Bug in My Mouth.ā€

10 Likes

Hello Applejackā€‹:woman_red_haired:,
Any update if HBO Max and Boomerang will pick up any Animated shows like Batman The Animated Series, Superman the Animated series and Justice League?

P.S. Last night I watch the first three minutes of the Cats and stop the movie before it could give me nightmare! Sorry. :scream_cat:
Iā€™ll retry to watch it later this week.:smirk_cat:

7 Likes

Razzzcat, this is a mystery to me! Usually updates are done through the app store or automatically, so this is very perplexing indeed! Iā€™ll have to get some answers on that :male_detective:

9 Likes

I am happy to be a member of any group with that membership, but I wasnā€™t hating the Bug In Our Mouths Kids name- BIOMK! ā€œThe Bio-Micks!ā€ IDK. Workshopping. No, the Blue Beetles is better! Thank you for letting me think that out.

10 Likes

To: @Applejack

RE: Design

Ahoy hoy Applejack. Sincerest regards to you and yours this evening. Hope all is right on and solid. :fist:t3:

Thinking about the changes coming to the site in 2021 Iā€™ve wondered about the possible changes to the community boards as well. I imagine a lot of the plans are top secret and going through rigorous testing;

Yet, could you share any thoughts on the possibility of more format or design tools being available when posting? Iā€™ll be forever a zine kid (props to Sarah D. and Kathleen H.) and Iā€™ve yearned to be able to move or manipulate images and texts in my posts.

Merci buckets as always. Your honorarium;

8 Likes

Aah! I did find this early mockup that, while itā€™s not EXACTLY the way it finally ended up looking, itā€™s pretty darn close:

Full discretion, the moderators saw an entirely different interface than members did, so a lot of the screenshots I have in terms of quotes and stuff wonā€™t look anything like you remember. that was one of the big pain points for us and a large reason to transition- we should be experiencing what youā€™re experiencing so we can understand the experience, you see? Experience!

11 Likes

Also a very good point!

6 Likes

Is it because the text is larger, and thereā€™s less room for more actual notifications? I could see that causing you to expand the menu then having to work from the ā€œMainā€ notification page.

Yaay! Iā€™m so happy thatā€™s working well. Itā€™s something we did in iOS for much more critical reasons, but I really liked it and thought it would be nice for Android as well.

That is something that has come to a bit of a standstill, and there is talk of resurrecting that once all is said and done. The current workaround is that you can tag your book clubs with the series title, and it will populate the community section, like this!

If youā€™re ever not sure what a particular series tag is, reach out to your olā€™ pal the mods and we can get it set up. I know thatā€™s not a glamorous solution, but it is an immediate one which is kinda nice!

Iā€™m sorry thatā€™s the impression you have of asking questions in Office Hours, generally the redirection comes when I donā€™t have an immediate solution to offer (billing and technical, to be exact).

I did find that in the earlier iteration of the comments on content, we received many low-quality comments like ā€œI didnā€™t like itā€ ā€œblechā€ ā€œcoolā€ ā€œ:woman_shrugging:ā€

The ease and rapid fire ability to add a comment created a more negative and "YouTube"esque comment experience, as opposed to driving members to a thoughtful and educational experience, which I think this current model creates. It was easy to say to execs ā€œLook how many comments we have!ā€ but I always felt a little uncomfortable knowing those metrics didnā€™t hold the same meaning as members who truly engage.

A ratings system is an interesting thought, and something Iā€™ll float to the devs!

11 Likes

I think that is an unlikely initiative from a resource vs. profit model, but if there were ever a community initiative to collate and organize these pages Iā€™m sure we could find a way to support that archival process.

7 Likes

THEY GOT MY LETTERS!

:woman_facepalming: Thatā€™s it, youā€™re fired YouTubers. Whereā€™s @ashleywilbanks when you need them?

11 Likes

I was thinking, with DC Universe Infinite, can a member write a review on the book they read? I think thatā€™ll be fun!:grinning:

5 Likes

That looks amazing, the watchtower background is a nice touch!!!

7 Likes

Makes me think in Captain Adamaā€™s growl,
ā€œSheā€™s a Ceylon.ā€

Huh, kinda Nightwing-y!

Oooh, shiny!

Yuuuusss!!

8 Likes

Oooh I would love that!

6 Likes

Iā€™ll tell you what, you just deepened my knowledge a few more feet with that one- Iā€™m diving in, boss! tips hat

9 Likes

I hope whoever in the DCU organization was responsible for getting the feature set built out as well as they did is justifiably proud of their work!

6 Likes

Hey ajm heeey!

Noted! Iā€™ve uploaded these requests to our database :slight_smile:

YAAAAAY!!! :partying_face: :dancer:

I think that theory is spot-on :wink:

The granting of the badge is automatic, and will be triggered by the system once you reach 10 "Just The Right Word"s. We actually havenā€™t designed a Tier 3 for that badge as so few people have reached even Level 1, but it would be fun to think about a new batch of badges to accomodate our communityā€™s history of actions, and start thinking of Level 2, 3, and beyond. The original goal in setting those numbers for the badges was the build an early system that would take 2-3 years to fulfill, and it sounds like weā€™re hitting the mark nicely :slight_smile:

Oh my gosh, yes, thank you for sparing me the heart-swelling tears. Plus, thereā€™s always room for Williamsā€™ Superman Score! Gets EVERYONE, every timeā€¦ :superman:

9 Likes

Thank you very much! Yes, that first one that contains the first meeting of Barry and Superman is most intriguingā€¦ :thinking: :flash_hv_1: :superman_hv_3:

Ah, that sounds good to me! :sunglasses: :+1:

7 Likes

Adding to this, a random hat pull if you want to dive right in:

Itā€™s a great background show when you want to add some flavor to your life, but still have work to do. Like adding lemon to water or something. I think I found it through my love of pulp sci-fi a la Bradbury, Asimov, Dick, Heinlen, which sprang from my love of Twilight Zone, which my grandma and my mom watched. Watching the BTS, interviews, and more of these things really teaches you a lot about a chain of common inspirations.

Speaking of which, for any horror fans out there! I watched Leap of Faith, a documentary with William Friedkin on his inspirations around making The Exorcist and mwah! A very well-produced documentary with a fascinating subject.

Do I know how to tangent or what?!

8 Likes