Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

GOOD question–it’s my favorite mug. I actually got it at a small shop in West Virginia…don’t remember the name of the shop, but here’s the signature on the bottom of it! Happy mug hunting :sunglasses:

10 Likes

That’s not a bad idea! Maybe we can do somethin’ fun here to celebrate his birthday. Definitely one of my favorite villains…What kinda party do you think he’d want for his birthday? :penguin_smirkhqtas:

8 Likes

A party at Iceberg Lounge with alot of classical music.:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The Ranch bar might be available, you would need to ask @DickGrayson_TheBoyFriendWonder

5 Likes

Technically it does need to be booked in advance…but I can make an exception for after office hours is over :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

Gotta be Batman or Red Hood. I love the broody, angry nature of these guys, and their motivations kinda make them more relatable/grounded. Being angry about the world’s evils and betrayal makes sense to me.

Harley and Ivy, EASILY. I really like the intense/somewhat chaotic nature of their relationship–I think it’s pretty reflective of how a lot of IRL relationships work.

The Long Halloween will always have my heart! I really enjoy re-reading around actual Halloween time, makes me feel like I’m watching a long, gritty horror movie. That being said, the new Dark Knights of Steel is quickly rising in my ranks. I LOVE sword and board adventures (thanks to my deeeeeep passion for LotR), so DKOS is a great overlap of my interests–really excited to keep reading!

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring–and it’s not even close. The books, the films, and the overall world that Tolkien created mean so much to me. I could go on and on about how and why I love JRR’s work, but for this answer, I’ll just say that nothing tops the adventures of the Fellowship in my mind. The forming of the Fellowship and the start of their journey is one of the greatest tales ever told. Plus, literary symmetry is my favorite literary writing technique, and the trilogy is PACKED with it. Big fan.

Easy answer: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring :smirk:…but outside of the LotR trilogy, I’ll say There Will Be Blood is one of my all time favorites. Anything Daniel Day Lewis does is gold, and his ability to completely get lost in his character is so impactful.

We talkin’ movies here? Books? Games? In general, I’ll say that epic sagas (ex. LotR, Beowulf) really speak to me. Watching/reading/following a hero’s journey is really fun for me, as it creates a sense of intimacy with the characters…so anything that involves a lot of walking, some cool battles, and meaningful inner dialogue–that’s my jam.

I was looking forward to answering this all week! I’ll tell a little story: When I graduated from college, I lived with my sister and brother in law (two of my favorite people in the world). My brother in law recommended I play this game called Dark Souls, so I gave it a shot and HATED it. Unnecessarily difficult, janky mechanics, and weird dialogue–so I immediately bailed. A few years later, after I had long moved out of their house, he randomly sent me a care package that included a copy of Dark Souls, and he encouraged me to give it another shot…so I did. And from there, everything changed. I was completely gripped by the challenge, and totally invested in every little tiny detail and piece of lore I could get my hands on. I was obsessed! I’ll also add that it really showed me that video games can be one of the most impactful forms of art, which really encouraged me to try and work in the games industry, which I eventually did. So when I say Dark Souls actually changed my life, I’m not exaggerating. I have multiple Dark Souls/Demons’ Souls tattoos, and have already pre-ordered the Elden Ring Collector’s Edition. I love FromSoftware, and I LOVE the Souls franchise.

Outside of that, I was extremely privileged to work on games like DOOM Eternal and DEATHLOOP, both of which mean a lot to me. Both took a set studio formula (id Software and Arkane Lyone), and iterated on those formulas in a way that felt super refreshing.

Sometimes I have dressing days, and sometimes I have stuffing days…but overall winner? Stuffing. Love me some carbs.

Not the very best answer, but stay tuned. There is a LOT to look forward to in the coming months, so you will certainly have more info on DCUI going international in due time!

You too, my friend! I hope your holiday is cozy, caring, and filled with foods that make you sleepy.

11 Likes

Thanks for the answers, I also share your love for LOTR. I am looking forward to reading DC’s version of Game of Thrones as well.

8 Likes

The Dark Knight Returns is wayyy up there for me. The concept of a tired, battered, cranky Batman is so wonderful to me (lol). Maybe it’s because I’m waking up with more aches and pains every day, but seeing the Bat down the cowl after so much time off in response to a massive threat to Gotham is really awesome.

Don’t get me wrong, both are wonderful, and I think we can all appreciate what both bring to the table. But hey, I’m working here right? :smirk:

I think I told this story in my intro post from a few weeks back, but what really turned me into a DC fan was the Spawn/Batman crossover from Frank Miller and Todd McFarlane. Thanks to my older brother, I grew up aggressively reading Spawn comics (still do!), and seeing two of the moodiest, broodiest, edgiest characters in one setting was amazing for me as a kid. This got me into Batman more, and by extension, everything else DC. The rest is history!

I’m a sucker for nostalgia, so the 90’s Batman Animated Series will forever have a place in my heart. I felt like an adult watching that show, and I think it laid the DC fandom groundwork for countless people around the world.

This is a TOUGH one. The DCEU provides a more real, intimate setting for me as a viewer. I get to see DC’s most beloved characters as living breathing people, and that resonates with me on a very basic level. But the DCAU is like being in a bakery and getting to eat ALL the cupcakes–we get super interesting whacky stories in the DCAU that would be really hard to translate to live-action, so we as viewers get to indulge in new and different perspectives of our favorite characters. So in that sense, apples to oranges right? They serve a somewhat different purpose for me, both of which I think are necessary to satisfy as a DC fan.

11 Likes

One more question for the knight from me, when will we see comic release for December?:slightly_smiling_face: Bet @Alec.Holland is going to miss me asking him these questions each month.

6 Likes

Hmmm, gotta hop in the way way back machine for this one…I think the first comic I remember reading was probably one of the Maxx comics in the mid-90s. Despite the themes and sequences being WAY too mature for my age at the time, my brother got me into The Maxx fairly early on. The art was so vibrant and intense, and the main character (the Maxx) was sooo cool looking. I recently listened to an episode of the Wizard and the Bruiser (one of my favorite podcasts, highly recommend!) about the Maxx, and really enjoyed learning a lot of really awesome info that I hadn’t known before. Big fan of Image Comics.

10 Likes

One more thing! I actually recently purchased a this comic in very good condition. I already have a copy of it, but THIS one is kind of my crown jewel now haha. I like to think of it as my origin story :smirk:

12 Likes

Beards unite! I actually had a MUCH longer beard just a few weeks ago, but felt like changing it up. As far as Gillette being the “best a man can get”, I haven’t had a fully clean shaven face since 2014 (fun fact!), so I wouldn’t really know :bearded_person: :smirk:

How topical! Honestly, my favorite tradition is Friendsgiving. As I get older, the friends I’ve surrounded myself with mean the WORLD to me, so gathering to eat good food and drink good drink is always a wonderful occasion. Plus, as a Puerto Rican, I looooove cooking. So I’ll be cooking up a feast this weekend for me and some of my closest mates! Can’t wait.

I love the description of your Thanksgiving tradition! Makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. I think it’s very easy to lose sight of the things we’re grateful for, so taking even just a small moment to recognize those things is valuable as heck. Cheers to being thankful! :beers:

Ohhhh yeah. BIG fan.

I haven’t picked up any new figures lately, BUT, as I’m preparing to move across the country in a few short weeks, I have 4 very large boxes filled with some pretty amazing figures and toys. Dark Souls (seriously, so much Dark Souls), Castlevania, DOOM, Metal Gear, Batman, the list goes on and on and on…Let’s have a deep dive into figures and toys after I have them all set up in my new place!

I’m not planning on it, but I’ll never rule out a few impulse purchases…I am, however, buying a TV for the new apartment from a close friend who just got a new one from himself. I’m thinking…bathroom TV?

I’ll have to go back and check my list of upcoming comics that I had my eye on, but Dark Knights of Steel and Wonder Woman Evolution were SO good. Have you checked out the AMA thread from last night’s event with Stephanie Phillips and Mike Hawthorne? If not, give it a look! We had a great time.

Oh boy, that’s a BIG question…but I will say kinda everything? I love love love Puerto Rican music, but also any kind of Latin music. Rock, Electric, Alt, Classical, Jazz…I actually have favorites in every category. If you ever want recommendations, please let me know!

Totally fair! Rap isn’t for everyone. I personally really enjoy (most) of it, but I can totally see why some don’t. That being said, I think Intergalactic was actually one of my first memories of really enjoying rap! That music video too, so fun. Achievement Unlocked: Childhood Memories.

Thanks for the great questions, and the warm holiday wishes! Same to you, friend. I’m glad you’re here!

11 Likes

Ahhhh, I LOVED it. Somehow I missed it in the shuffle of my first few weeks, but you are a master storyteller. Bravo.

Good question! I know it’s rough to wait for so long…I admittedly don’t have the answer at the moment, but I’m going to look into this tomorrow. As a proof that it’s at the top of my to-do list, I present you with…my to-do list (work in progress):

11 Likes

The blackest coffee that ever was poured :batman_stoichqtas:

10 Likes

Hi @Jitsu welcome to the community and congratulations on becoming the new community manager!!! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

8 Likes

Howdy, and thanks for the welcome! Great question here…I do love Harley, but Crazy Jane is stacked with abilities that would give Harley (and kinda anyone else) a hard time. In a 1v1, I gotta give it to Jane.

10 Likes

I was really looking forward to @RexRebel’s question about video games! I can talk about Dark Souls (and a lot of other games) for hours and hours. Wasn’t really nervous about any of them! I’m mostly an open book :smiley:

I’d like to phone a friend…

10 Likes

Oh hey thanks!! I’m happy to be here, and I’m happy you’re here as well!

10 Likes

Yayy first Office Hours! Achievement Unlocked: FIRST.

I feel great about them…comfort, aerodynamics, and fashion all in one piece of clothing? Sign me up.

10 Likes

Awesome, Thankyou so much.:grinning:

6 Likes