OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

You know…it looks like it would be fun to dive into a pit of fluffy kittens, however it turns out that’s a bad idea.

Um…don’t ask me how I know that.

4 Likes

Even such a pile of these adorable dears?

4 Likes

You gotta gently snuggle in and let them envelope you. :+1:t3: It’s freakin amazing!

6 Likes

Trust me.

3 Likes

Right…it may have been the diving part where it all went wrong.

4 Likes

Sink into the kitties :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, that’s actually quite a relief to hear. Looking forward to the constructive criticism that we can bring to next year! Those theme suggestions would help discourage the popularity contest accusations. Or if it were a full bracket of alternate earth Supermans, and fans are forced to research the nuances? That’d be something.

Hahaha, that’s a hilarious idea! We may have Bendis here for a Q&A sometime in the next few weeks, so if you want to ask what he thought, you should chime in :slight_smile:

Keeping in mind the festivities were interrupted by the Q-tine, there were some pay-offs I’m bummed we didn’t see. We were planning on making something akin to the “Villain of the Year” trophy to award to the final villain at WonderCon, maybe with a cosplayer dressed as the champion. That was also how we were planning to announce the finalist.

It seemed like the LPS upset people so much they dropped out of the conversations, which went too far in the direction we were aiming for. We wanted to even out the popularity votes with some surprise upsets like you get in sportball, but maybe we need to figure out a more balanced approach.

It is either hard or easy to believe that the prediction microsite was a huge job to put together. We didn’t have a lot of QA time, so I think that’s where we can make a lot of improvements next year. There was a fair amount of confusion about how the two events (predictions and voting) worked together, so anything we can do to smooth that process out, the better.

The good stuff!

Ooooh, interesting. Definitely good to keep biases in mind as we select match-ups moving forward.

Love this idea! With more ramp-up time in regards to celebrity planning, I think this is a great way to hook people in. Maybe even use this as a device to get people to enter, by having creators and influencers share their brackets on social. We all sign in blood that we can’t win anything when we cross the threshold, so no problem there.

Love this, and I know DC Daily would, too! Filming of the current brackets might have gone a little differently if not for [that excuse we’re all tired of now :laughing:) but this is an added layer that I think would also get the cast more invested for when it came time to announce the winners.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Don’t tell @HubCityQuestion, but we in the office started calling the results of the match-ups “The Jaffe Effect”. I wonder if his breakdown articles were TOO persuasive, and ended up having an impact on the results!

Copy that! I was thinking earlier than giving people more time to submit their predictions would be good, too.

Leaderboards were part of our original scope for the microsite, but unfortunately it had to fall off due to our short deadline :frowning_face: But I think you can expect to see this next year :slight_smile:

Good call- and I appreciate the way you cobbled yours together.

Agreed.

I’m a little trepidatious about this because we are already very particular about putting in place a system that prevented multiple submissions per IP or “like” e-mail addresses. jondoe.1@gmail, jondoe.2@gmail, etc. The typical ways people try to get around submission restrictions. I could see a x5 multiplier complicating our efforts to keep things fair.

But I wonder if there’s another way to get people involved for longer. It does feel like the contest stakes made people lose interest if they didn’t “win”, whereas last year there were no stakes, and therefore higher retention.

Maybe mini-matchups along the way or something…

I’m getting stuck on this one. Could vote ability be refreshed every 24 hours?

I play tabletop RPGs so I love me some random numbers to inform the story, but: I struggle with translating this interest to a general audience in terms of capturing their imagination. What if the LPS is revealed as activated, and the creator who chose the character has a chance to argue what would have happened in the fight to have created that result? Then fans have one last short-term opportunity to agree/disagree with that argument (maybe even as short as an hour), and that determines the outcome?

But this feedback is worth putting on the table for the future, either way. Those are just my spitball thoughts.

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback, as you can tell we took last year’s to heart!

6 Likes

Hahahahaha oh my gosh kittens happened!!!

6 Likes

Kind of like how we did with the sub-categories for Community Events, I’m waiting to see a justification for the sub-menu before we create it. Right now we encourage the use of the “wiki” tag, which can minimize the topics to Wikis for now. I’m writing the brief now to receive the scope for certain customizations to the wiki experience, and started a monthly wiki-based scavenger hunt to try and get users more comfortable with the functionality.

It may not ever be a sub-category unless things get really wild up in here, but I could see it being placed as an additional icon in “Helpful Resources”.

I can be persuaded, but again, these are the spitballs.

5 Likes

HEY GUESS WHAT WE DID THAT!

You may have noticed the new expandable community calendar menu that has been built at the top of General Discussions and Watchtower. When you click it, it takes you to the Community Events section, which is predominately Fan Club Discussions. So this is a good step before any other major changes are made. I hope people like it, it’s one of my favorite subtle changes!

7 Likes

I think it means they haven’t visited the forums in a while. The next time they comment, they’ll get the “we haven’t seen this user in a while!” message.

5 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

But come on, you have to admit it’s been better this last week, right? We can’t help they’re being created, but the redundancies are at least getting addressed- ADMIT IT! :rofl:

7 Likes

OH hai! I agree, posting GIFs is the future of all communication.

6 Likes

“I love everything you do?”

5 Likes

I don’t know, and I CAN find out! I’ve added it to my reminders list :smiley: (Along with getting Legacy collected, @AlexanderKnox)

7 Likes

I didn’t know about Promethea but those sample pages look fantastic!

5 Likes

HCQ! Hi. I don’t see this on our digital release list, but maybe if we ask really nicely… our Master of Collections/Comic Content Mangement has been on a brief hiatus and will be returning next week, and I have a whole pile of stuff to bother them with :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I’ll add this!

9 Likes

Newsarama broke the scoop early, those scamps! Let us not question the “how did we score”, we just fight and debate until something gives.

As for “how can we make sure”, well, that sounds like a job for…
Articles?
Clubs?
Fan Art?

7 Likes

I will dispense hugs on your behalf as soon as possible!

4 Likes

Hello Applejack :woman_red_haired:,
I finally got a question can you believe it, any update on the filming of Uscripted pilot episodes? I’m guessing it’s being postphoned for now, and how are the 3 finalists are doing? Hope they’re safe from this terrible virus.

4 Likes