OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

If we mixed general fan discussions with the Fan Discussions™, then our threads will get even more buried than they already get from other club discussions…

Anyway, this particular discussion might be better suited for the Council…

2 Likes

Before any change like that would be made it would appear as a poll in the council, for certain. I appreciate you letting me hash my thoughts out with you, though. For my brain, I need a really good round of Socratic method to unpack every cranny of possibility. I tend to do that before approaching a group with an idea, otherwise I can’t hold my own in the face of a crowd.

I’m still not entirely sure I agree, but I respect your conviction and you are a Club Leader, after all. That holds a lot of water. But at any rate, it would be taken to the Council and voted by committee before anything was changed.

1 Like

If I answer one word at a time I could have duplicated my comments 100 fold! I’ve been doing this all wrong.

5 Likes

Also, I may just be salty tonight because Jason Todd keeps shooting up my Batmobile in Arkham Knight. I’m feeling a little betrayed by my favorite Robin… :stuck_out_tongue:

Have a good night!

4 Likes

Told ya.

3 Likes

All right everyone, here’s wishing you all a good night! Thank you in particular for your feedback on the new features tonight, and your insights into what you want from the future :slight_smile:

I’ll see you all next week- in the meantime, please take care of yourselves and each other! :heart:

9 Likes

I’m just thankful my job is a necessity and that I have no worries about my paycheck right now. I am also glad I can offer to help friends and family if they need it at this time. Fortunately, no one has needed that yet. I do have to ask, for next week, are you a grammar Nazi? I am, but I make exceptions (if English is not the first language, typos, etc). Just wondering how you feel about blatant grammatical errors. Also, am I wrong for pointing them out to people, or helping those people learn the error of their ays? HAHAHAHAHA

4 Likes

SCULLY!!! My second favorite series, behind the obvious Wonder Woman :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for your honest opinion and input Applejack

3 Likes

That must be why I always think of Office Hours as “Early Socratic Dialogues”. Especially since we’re all Platonic here. Early Greek philosophical humor. Somewhere, Aristophanes is looking and smiling.

3 Likes

Hi @Applejack

Do you have a fresh cup of tea and a few bickies the with you? Im gonna go Meta Madhouse manic. So if you need to put the kettle on and/or grab a few more bickes. No worries at all.

It’s me and Meta Madhouse, so I want to make sure you’re prepared…all ready…ok…

First off, let me say that I think this years MM was way better than last year. And you know what a MM fiend I am. So that is indeed high praise on the DeSade-acolyte scale.

There was more synergy around the community with a few of the clubs stepping up and dovetailing so if their club events to bring some a MM flavor. The board discussions this year seemed just as, if not more, passionate but with noticeably better community guidelines behaviors, than last year. There were a few blazing rows over a matchup here and there. My personal fav was me & @HubCityQuestion spirited debate in the Lady Shiva Vs Ra’s Al Ghul match. While all keeping our legal Digital 6ft space minimum,

A full villain on villain edition gave it great set of stakes, and a general feel/vibe about the game thIs year just based off the raw brackets. Tip Top Job DCU. I think themes for the MM is a great idea. (A few pop to mind: Elseworld characters only, Silver & Bronze Age characters only. Non-current time characters, so earth-2, earth-X, and characters only from the golden age, LOSH or, that never appeared in normal time continuity.)

Getting DC creators, and actors involved was fabulous. I hope if they got involved. I hope they had a great time. Echo Kellum, Brian Michael Bendis Phil Morris & Phil Jimenez, might want get “Don’t blame me, Kelex made my Lazarus Pit Save Pick” t-shirts, for when we get back to cons and stuff.

I gotta ask, what did you think of how the tournament went? Did it meet the goals of interaction, and involvement DCU was hoping for? Where did it exceed? Where may it have fallen short? Any general views “up the food chain” as to how it went?

Here is some feedback/items regarding the tournament this year and some thoughts.

Having a theme really helps. I think part of the reason we did was there weren’t any hero vs villain matchups. We are conditioned as comics readers to give more benefit of the doubt, and More subconscious belief that the hero will bear the villain. So in picking a theme and the characters, you might think of having a heroes side bracket, (actually two brackets on my the same) the a villain side bracket(s). So the hero and villain would only meet in the final match.

A way to track your bracket against @DCDaily members and some other guest stars (Jim Lee, Echo, Bendis, etc.) I am dying to know how my bracket did over Hector’s & Amy’s. I think legal could figure out language so talent and maybe other DC/DCU staff can’t win the grand prize. So their brackets could be added to the mix.

A @DCDaily bracket breakdown show to kick things off would be awesome! How does our “couch panel” see the brackets unfold. I know @DCDaily films in advance, so maybe let the staff get access to the brackets early to allow for the shooting vs broadcast time differences.

@HubCityQuestion odds and breakdowns articles were awesome!!! A huge round of applause for @HubCityQuestion :clap::clap::clap::clap:

They definitely added some extra depth to the matchups. And while it took a while, adding options we’ve seen in animation, as well as comics, was a nice touch. Really created a sense of DCU’s daily involvement in the event more evident.

Giving the club group leaders the access to just the theme a bit earlier would help too. Given them more than a couple of days to plan.

A real-time point system count and ranking. I think a points and ranking system would keep more people interested and involved than this year. What percentile there bracket is in. If they still have a character(s) alive, they may not stand a chance of winning the grand prize, but maybe they can move up the rankings.

A way to “print out” or even just save an image of your entire tournament bracket, meaning all four separate brackets and final 4 bracket.

The ability to edit your bracket before the time for brackets to close.

Multiple brackets per user are an option, maybe 5. It allows folks to have different brackets that might keep them more deeply involved longer.

For voting that is multi-day (round of 16 or final 4, semis and final.) it should probably be noted as a daily, rather than on the same 24 hour timer.
(So for a vote that lasts 3 days, I should be able to vote at 10am day 1, 6pm day 2, and 11:45am day 3. Rather than having to wait until after 6pm on day 3 to vote. Does this make sense?)

The Lazarus Pit probably needs some tuning, but it’s the first year its existed. So that doesn’t surprise me.

Give the LP save a chance of not working. If it does get activated, have kelex generate a random number between 1 & 20, if the number is 13 or lower the Lazarus Pit worked (LP Save), if it’s 14 or higher the LP didn’t work (LP Fail). Or some such difference. 37 or lower LP Save and 38 to 50, LP Fail, 78 or lower LP Save and 79 to 100 LP Fail.

Arguably the wider the random range maybe the better. If you figure out how many numbers make up an LP fail, say 22, scatter the 22 into a few smaller groups within a 100 number range, For a 22 number range, example 14-18, 29-34 51-55, 70-73 & 89-91 would cause LP Fail.

Thanks again to all the DCU & DC folks involved. I’m already anxiously awaiting next year’s tournament. :smiley: :upside_down_face: :+1: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Hi @Applejack

I know more wikis are being created, but there is no sub menu for them. Not in Watchtower, General Discussion or Community Events.

Basically, there doesn’t seem to be a simple way to find wikis. It seems to me that if you want folks to read, reference, and add to them, making them easier to find via a sub menu would be useful.

4 Likes

I am speaking here with my club owner hat on.
There could be benefit and impact the larger Club organization. The “Fan Club Discussions“ to a sub menu in General Discussions, than create that sub menu item under General Discussions for Fan Club Discussions and have it be a pointer to the Community Events, Fan Club Discussions. Perhaps adding redirecting message such as “You are being redirected to Fan Club Discussions in the Community Events section” redirection message?

2 Likes

Something I’ve noticed: most people’s usernames are blue. But there are some gray ones. Why is that? Does it mean that user isn’t subscribed or something?

2 Likes

Something like that may work. That way, our “really thoughtful, well-crafted content” (Applejack’s words) won’t get washed away into the sea by the people who crank out 10 threads a day* in the General Discussion forum. :stuck_out_tongue:

*Yes, yes, I’m being hyperbolic. Somewhat.

5 Likes

Hello Applejack :woman_red_haired:,
I’m trying to think of what to ask but can’t think of anything!
79d
Guess I’m just dropping in to say Hello and I’m so enjoying posting these GIF pictures. :penguin_smirkhqtas:

4 Likes

That’s how I was with the Joelle Jones Q&A. “I love everything you do” is not a question. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Hi AJ,

Do you know (or could you please find out) why we don’t have the series “Promethea” on here? We have all of the other major America’s Best Comics titles that have been digitized: Terra Obscura, Tom Strong, Tomorrow Stories, and Top 10. But “Promethea” is conspicuous by its absence.

Thanks!

5 Likes

To celebrate DC’s 85th anniversary, NEW FUN COMICS #1, their very first issue in 1935, was digitized for the first time! Are we going to be seeing it here?

6 Likes

SCOOBY-DOOBY-DOO! Newsarama has the Scooby Scoop: this May 12th, we’re getting a HUGE influx of Scooby-Doo titles onto DC Universe! How did we score this Scooby Coup? And how can we make sure everyone knows how freaking amazing “Scooby-Doo Team-Up” is?

8 Likes