OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

That, and broadcast in HD. The show looks kind of crummy in SD. Still fun though.

2 Likes

Just finished the “Ghost in the Machine” episode of the Flash. Might want to see if they can fix the autostart on the next episode because there is a scene that will get cut if it isn’t “returned”

3 Likes

I will say I am disappointed they are not at least rotating back in a few movies, only because it would help further quell the doomsday sayers, some of whom I am sure will spin nothing being added into a “it is preparing to merge into HBO MAX” agenda, as if this is the first time nothing has come or gone in the month.

But glad nothing is leaving and DCU All Star Games I think could be a surprise fan favorite show. So I am still happy.

6 Likes

Ahhh, the 70’s. What the heck were we THINKING?

4 Likes

Hey @Applejack, I’m thinking of going to the San Diego Comic Con in July, but I was wondering if DC Universe has anything special planned?

3 Likes

Dearest Applejack! I may have missed some information about this if it has been shared recently, but as I recall there was never a hard no (or a hard yes) on Black Label issues being added to our library. Is this still a gray area? Or is it part of the rule that we don’t get things like graphic novel originals and select comics like Mister Miracle (and is there any timeframe on that? ever?). I would really love to read these Black Label books, especially with the new Birds of Prey run, but my only other option would be Hoopla, which is less than ideal as a comic reader :frowning:

3 Likes

Good day Applejack,

The man you’re listening to has once again come seeking aid and comfort. As the closest thing to a comic book therapist (certified or otherwise), your mission, should you chose to accept it, is twofold. First, pierce the veil of decades held ignorance, on matters that appear to have passed him by. And second, find the light that will help guide him through the darkness. For the dark things cannot stand the light. The light of the Gre …, sorry, kinda’ veered off course there. Any way, this message will not self destruct, unless you delete it. Happily, I know you won’t.

If you haven’t picked up on it yet, you’ll find that I’m very " ole school " about a lot of things. So, for the most part, my comments tend to stick to older and simpler material. In all honesty, I stopped reading DC after the introduction of the New 52. Oh, I’d check back in periodically. Picking up TPBs and GNs every now and then. But the company was changing too much, to often, for my tastes. Every time I turned around, I was getting hit with some new CRISIS, or other. Reshaping the landscape. Trying to explain away this past decision or that silly mistake, or some other editorial response to flagging sales in the marketplace. This REBIRTH thing appears to clear the table. Start the game fresh, from a new day one. It may get me back, at least on a trial basis. I was a big fan of WATCHMEN. So, to learn there’s an incorporation there now with the DCU, might be the ticket to get this passenger back on board. We, shall, see.

About a month ago, I complemented HCQ on his breakdown of the New 52 continuity, as it related to Grant Morrison’s Multiversity Guidebook. Then, applying all that to the new REBIRTH storylines, his response was (and I quote), " there are just many, many more Earths beyond those 52 now." In his “Guide to the Multiverse” article on Jan 17th, he tried as well as anyone could, to bring some common sense understanding to all these company wide shakeups. Which also helped explain away my concerns about the crossover Earths, once shared with MARVEL. Again, well done sir!

I’m sure the Elseworld and Tangent line of titles were a delight to many. Just not my cup of tea. But then I’ve never liked the Super-computer simulations or Alfred’s type written imaginings either. And if it weren’t for the collected crossover into the regular DCU , " Tangent: Superman’s Reign," I would have remained quite ignorant of those other dimensional dopplegangers.

Of course another crossover, on a much grander scale occurred several years later under the title of CONVERGENCE. A clever way to draw me back in, ladies and gentlemen. And it worked, more or less. Combining many of the Elseworld, King Kirby, and other characterazations with the regular (or current) DCU was an awesome task. But in the end, most worthwhile. Your team of writers and artists are to be congratulated on a job well done.

I mean getting Captain Carrot & the Zoo Crew together with Flash, Harley Quinn and others, in a serious and meaningful way, was no small feat. I applaud both Tony Bedard and Steve Pugh, the writers on those particular chapters. Something that might’ve seemed more at home today, on an episode of HQ, was suprisingly successful in print! All that, years before Ms. Quinn and her outrageous cast ever debuted on this wonderful site. And it also got me to read and care about those other what if… worlds, who’s original stories I had dismissed out of hand. I now count the tpb collection of CONVERGENCE titles, among my very favorites. Maybe you can teach an old dog, new tricks.

2 Likes

After DC Universe All-Stars airs… would it be feasible to run a similar play-by-post roleplaying campaign here on DCU? Maybe we could distribute the rule sets to people who sign up, and have a moderator or volunteer run the scenario. We could even schedule weekly sessions to ensure everyone’s there at the appropriate time for the action. I can think of a few people who would make great players here, and a few more who would make great campaign managers.

11 Likes

It didn’t end up going anywhere, but @biff_pow, @Aurora, and I had discussed doing something along those lines a while ago. I’d definitely be interested.

3 Likes

I think playing canon characters would create potential difficulties, but if players all crafted Original Characters and we set the campaign within the DC Universe under a trusty campaign master, it could work well!

5 Likes

i’d be way into this!!!

5 Likes

Not a question @Applejack, but praise. I see Toy Fair will be getting some coverage on Friday’s episode of DC Daily, and as an ardent toy enthusiast this makes me happy, so my kudos to whomever decided to give Toy Fair the coverage it should have each year on the show. I’m hoping that the 2/24 episode of DCD will have a Toy Fair wrap-up segment as well.

Thank you @DCDaily and @Applejack (and the Skipper, tooooo!), and keep watching the skeez. I mean…skies.

beams out, Leonard Nimoy at the Monorail style, to the X-Files theme

5 Likes

Given that Generation Zero #1 (FCBD) will be free on comixology and LCBS’s. Any chance we can get it here on DCU. I have to imagine it would only increase the number of people who read it and it is free.
-Nathan

5 Likes

Should i warn him about DC’s incoming reboot or not?

2 Likes

Hello Applejack :woman_technologist:,
Is DC comics still doing a Wonder Twins comic? I’m really enjoying it! :smiley:

4 Likes

One more thing, @Applejack. Do you think we might see Madame Xanadu return to the message board with her wise words and spot on advice?

4 Likes

Funny guy, fuuunnnny guy!

2 Likes

This week’s inquiries:

1. Are you an angel? I’ve heard the deep-space pilots talk about them.

2. Are the owls what they seem?

3. Is there any fate but what we make for ourselves?

4. Have you seen things we people wouldn’t believe?

5. Would you buy that for a dollar?

5 Likes

The owls are not what they seem, but that cherry pie…

2 Likes

If I might add to that:

1. What’s up, sweet cakes?
    1a. Who’s hip, anyway?
  2. Watcha gonna do, little buckaroo?
3 Likes