OFFICE HOURS: Ask DC Universe Your Questions Every (UPDATED) TUESDAY Night!

Hello Applejack​:woman_technologist:,
I notice Kelex kept repeating the same quotes over again, I have some quotes idea what he should say, is there a thread that we can add more quotes to him?

3 Likes

:left_speech_bubble: Perry White: “Lois Lane, this is Clark Kent. He’s new to the Planet.” Lois: “Nice to meet you. Welcome to the Planet.” Clark: “Glad to be here, Lois.” — Man of Steel

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:I already know who @Applejack is Kelex! LOL!!!

4 Likes

Thanks for the information

3 Likes

Well, this is my new favorite gif ever.

3 Likes

I’m gonna throw my $0.02 in on this because this item seems to keep cropping up.

Firstly and a very important thing I want to make clear. @OmniLad I am not trying to single you you out as this point of view has come from other quarters as well. Your post seemed to give a very good example of a topic I believe deserves some discussion or at least insight from the mods and some possible options that might serve both sides of this topic. Please, if you feel at all uncomfortable with my use of this quote, please DM me and I will remove it.

It’s clear it’s an opinion and @JeepersItsTheJamags even started with “OK, coming on strong with the title”

While I concur Batman can work in many different styles and iterations. And that there is really isn’t such thing as ““right batman.”

However, I must confess that I don’t see an aggressive tone mentioned. It is a strong opinion, but it certainly is not saying “Hey I’m right and if you don’t agree sod off.”

Why is it that strong (passionate is perhaps a better adjective) opinions are being treated as aggressive? One of the items of fan engagement is relying and building on the passion of fans.

I understand that some people are more “shy” about jumping into something where there is a passionate opinion they might disagree with (or maybe even agree with). However, some of that is that person’s shyness issue. It seems like there is a feeling by some in the community that inclusivity requires watering down strong/passionate points of view. That, in and of itself, creates an excluding environment for members with strong opinions. I have felt this push towards that exclusion.

Is the answer a new community section Everything DC/Discordance. That would at least give a place for strong/passionate positions on everything DC. A place where strong, heated debate can be placed and those that wish to avoid such can do so with fair warning of what that section is for. A “This is a hot kitchen, and it’s likely to generate some high heat” recognition.

There is certainly a subset of members who enjoy strong “heated” debate. (While still staying within community guidelines, of course.)

If the mods and lanterns want to keep out what, I see as “passionate, heated and aggressive opinions” in the general community areas, that’s fine. I can see the advantage to that. However, perhaps adding an “anti-matter universe” in the form of Discordance section would be beneficial and create more inclusive environment for DCU.

@Applejack (and @Pretty.Poison.Bombshell as well) what are your thoughts?

I really would like to find some way of balancing this issue that could be a net positive for the community as a whole.

8 Likes

No worries about singling me out. I agree that aggressive may have been a poor choice of words. I think it has to do with writing. I of all people should know how difficult it is to convey tone in a DCU post (I’m sure you’ve seen it in any of our other discussions haha). I’m not trying to take away from OP’s opinion or make them seem angry. I just think some posts written like that or in that tone can make it difficult for those who disagree to jump in and feel like they’re a part of the community. I suppose it’s not just about the tone in this particular post, but the subject matter as well. Hope this clears my opinion up :).

4 Likes

Sort of an awkward place for me to jump in, since it’s my post being discussed, but I think ultimately opinions like the one I advanced are essentially within the realm of criticism. And I think there’s a firm line between criticizing the work and attacking the artist, and still a further one between either of those and attacking the fans of one or the other. I just don’t feel that a system where people are considered to have hurt each other by expressing an opinion of an external subject too strongly is one that can be fairly enforced.

6 Likes

OMG! After that marvelously civil back 'n forth between @Omnilad and @Desade-acolyte, I’m hopeful that my own opinions on a totally different subject will be received in like fashion. Oh well, nothing ventured …

My dear @Applejack, as HCQ can tell you, I tend to be somewhat verbose from time to time. Like a stand-up comic, laying the ground work for a punch line. Some things simply need preparation. Take for instance SHAZAM! After seeing the big screen version, (an acceptable modernization) of the character, I rewatched the Saturday morning version available on the DCU site. Really made me miss seeing a Michael Gray cameo on CRISIS. but I digress.

I’d long ago forgiven DC’s lapse with the good Captain. Seems almost poetically ironic for DC to win their battle with Fawcett, only to have their lawyers lose the name to MARVEL. A name the good Captain proudly held for almost 50 years, until fairly recently. Now it appears that the attorneys have once again thrown in the towel over the trademark conflicts and settled on renaming the brand SHAZAM! And that my friends is the last time you will ever hear me refer to him, as such!

I am normally not a fan of comicbook media make-overs. By that I mean, subject matter that began as source material, migrated to movie or TV screen, then returned to the printed page as a reflection of that migration. The new SHAZAM! comic, case in point. Although to be fair, this may be an exception for me. Billy’s new family of heroes allows for both Mary, Cap Jr. and the Lt. Marvels of old (sort of). Even though they’re not now referred to as Marvels! It’s shaping up nicely. If properly handled, it might even stand along side Jerry Ordway’s run on the characters one day. But that’s a pretty high bar to clear, right now.

This still seems to me, to be catering to a small audience in the hopes of turning them on to the source material, and growing your base. As a purely business decision, I get it. At the end of the day, it’s about making $$$. But tell me, are there any financial figures to support these kinds of actions?

2 Likes

Just won a general audiences screening to bird of prey and claim my pass was wondering if I’m still a Dc member will I be able to wait in the Dc member line ?

1 Like

I don’t have much to add but wanted to show my support of the above. I think policing someone’s tone or style of speech is a super slippery slope, and could lead to the very exclusion we’re trying to avoid. Attacks or insults directed at fellow community members (or their opinions) should definitely be a no, but it’s dangerous to assume offense on behalf of others.

I suppose a “hot topic” area could be created, but I’m not sure how that could be moderated (Batjamag’s post is a perfect example of this: what some people might consider overly passionate/aggressive, others consider passionate/well-thought out).

5 Likes

I feel having that type special section on the forums, while not out of the question, would be a tad difficult to implement. Who determines what the controversial topics are and how? I guess maybe the member initiating the topic? What if a debate gets heated outside this section? Will the mods have to move that topic? Will members behave, or take it as a free pass to disregard community guidelines and turn it into something toxic? Not saying it shouldn’t be done or that it’s a bad idea, but I think if implemented, it needs to be handled with care.

For me personally, I don’t think there is anything wrong with a healthy back & forth, as long as there is mutual respect. I try to:

• Not make it personal.
  • Listen and then be heard.
  • Never discredit another’s opinion.
  • Stay away from insulting writers, artists and their works, because it can be taken as an affront to someone’s taste.
  • Take the high road if the discussion devolves.

Of course I cannot enforce my own personal views on how to handle one’s self on an online forum, but it’s my 10 cents nonetheless :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I certainly see it as a mostly member initiated thread type of construct. Things still need to be within community guidelines to be sure. It needs to be monitored for the upkeep of community guidelines, like any other section.

I must confess I don’t agree with the sentiment of not disagreeing or being heavily critical regarding the work of an artist, writer, etc. but that’s just me.

I do understand some can seem to take that as a personal affront, although I will confess I don’t understand why. ( a potential short coming on my part, I certainly wont disagree with that interpretation). We all like what we like and that’s great. I do think some of the most interesting, thought provoking and yes, sometimes grandly passionate debates fall within that circle.

3 Likes

Maybe I didn’t fully articulate myself there. In my opinion, the disagreement and heavy criticism are absolutely fine. What I meant by my statement is how things are phrased. Let’s say someone is going on about how they like a movie/comic/show. I disagree. I think saying something along the lines of “I really don’t like this work because…” is much more conducive to a healthy argument than “I think this work is [pejorative] because…”. That simple turn of phrase, for me at least, makes a world of a difference in how the conversation proceeds from there. The pejorative term may not be aimed at the other person, but these debates are usually rather “passionate” as you had mentioned… and sometimes in such conversations things can be taken personally (it may put the other person on the defensive, instead of debating the work in question)… I merely try to avoid that. Again, speaking for myself :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I suppose it comes down to what makes something a pejorative. Is “amazing” just as pejorative as “garbage? I’d argue it is.

I’m a DC fan, don’t get me wrong, but there have been things DC has done that are, IMO, trite, cliche, garbage and/or just plain awful. That’s my opinion. It somehow seems that to restrict certain adjectives as pejorative simply because they are “non-complimentary” but not hold bold claims when using “complimentary” adjectives equally accountable is a disservice to both.

While a bit philosophical, the question of what constitutes a pejorative is left up to the reader. Whether it is pejorative is a value statement by the reader about the author. Arguably a personal attack by the reader towards the author.

I am also reminded of the great 20th century orator Clarence Darrow. “Language is a poor enough means of communication as it is. We aught to use all the words we’ve got. Besides, there are damn few words everybody understands.”

3 Likes

@DeSade-acolyte I think we’ve hijacked this thread enough. DM incoming :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Yep, DM it is for follow ons to this. Although, IMO, the exchange above is a microcosm example. So hopefully it wasn’t to much of a highjack.

3 Likes

Hi Applejack​:woman_technologist:,
This Monday I’m doing The Dark Knight Rises Watch along. Hope you and the Mods can join. If you seen the movie what did you think of it? :slightly_smiling_face: I’m a fan of Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman!

2 Likes

I find it a little depressing that “Who is DC’s Sexiest Woman” isn’t getting a poll as well… Seems to fly in the face of the spirit of inclusivity DCU speaks about.

Any idea or reason why “Who is DC’s Sexiest Woman” didn’t get a poll as well?

3 Likes

I’m a mod on another site, and my 2c on the Anti-matter forum, and others of its proposed type, from a modding perspective is TAEG: There Ain’t Enough Gin. They’re impossible to get right, the mods get frustrated, and philology leads to calamity.

As for an actual question for AJ, is there any chance of the new DC Daily podcast being added to Stitcher? Thanks!

2 Likes