Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 7 (December 18-December 24) --- TEEN JUSTICE!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s seventh Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

TEEN JUSTICE
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 6

Not-so-brief description from dc.com: Kid Quick—the Future State Flash—and their fellow heroes Supergirl, Robin, Aquagirl, Klarienne the Witch Girl, and Troy take center stage in a miniseries that rocks Earth-11 to its core! Co-writers Ivan Cohen (The Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries) and Danny Lore (DC Pride, Champions) join rising-star artist Marco Failla (DCeased: Hope at World’s End) for the incredible debut issue, which begins with an attack by the H.I.V.E. and ends in the Church of Blood! What is Sister Blood’s true mission among the lost souls of New York City? Can Teen Justice get through their growing pains fast enough to learn the answer in time to stop it? And what role will the mysterious Raven—the brooding hero who has refused to join the team in the past—play in the ultimate battle? The secrets of Earth-11’s newest heroes and villains unfold in DC’s most exciting new team title!

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why do you think Ivan Cohen and Danny Lore (the authors of the series) decided to make the Green Lanterns villains? Did you like that? Explain.
  2. Why do you think Ivan Cohen and Danny Lore decided to just rename and genderswap heroes? Would you have gathered they just made new characters? Did you like their switch? Explain.
  3. Do you like Raven and Troy’s relationship? Why or why not?
  4. Kid Quick uses the same speed formula as Johnny Quick. Do you think this is a coincidence? Do you like it? Why do you think the authors decided to use that? Explain.
  5. Who’s your favorite member of Teen Justice? Why?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes

I have copies of every issue in this series that I’ve been procrastinating reading, so now I officially have a reason to. Should be interesting because I got two pages into the first one and disliked it lol.

1 Like

It starts off a bit slow, but during issue 2, it picked up for me at least

1 Like

I’ve only read the Pride intro and I think I glanced at the first two during a story-time on another site but just barely. I’ll probably read the collection at some nebulous future point but if this thread get’s busier, I’ll make a point of doing so sooner.

But I did want to make this comment about the Teen Justice team, which I made elsewhere - which was apparently not the place for a discussion type comment (so my bad):

It will never fail to annoy me that this team did did not give us

That universe already has Wonder Man and didn’t really need Donald Troy (as just one example). Not when they are trying to mix both teen titans, titans and young justice teams up.

Don’t get me wrong, since some of you don’t know me. I am very much in favor of Strong Female Characters. BAMF + Lois Lane is one my truest and oldest OTPs and I strongly favor concepts like Rule 63 Earths, AUs and Elseworlds in general and diversity by and large.

I wouldn’t OTOH favor, for example, leaving everything else the same and making the mainline Bruce Wayne into Bertha Wayne (or Belinda Wayne). Or an AU/Elseworld which is really pretty uncreative and unimaginative (here’s looking at you, Speeding Bullets). White there was a lot - for me, personally - not to like in Last Son of Earth which sadly, DC has not even seen fit to collect, much less digitize or put on DCUI, no one can complain it’s not creative or imaginative.

1 Like