Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 23 (May 21-May 27) --- DEAD BOY DETECTIVES!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s twenty-third Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

DEAD BOY DETECTIVES!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+

Number of Books: 1 (Please only read Vol. 1)

Description from dc.com: Charles Rowland and Edwin Paine, the dead British teenagers who are always on the run from Death, travel stateside to solve a missing persons case. Our intrepid heroes have been contacted by young Annika Abernathy, a student at a posh International Academy in Chicago. It seems that Annika’s best friend has vanished. For Rowland and Paine to investigate the case properly, they decide to enroll as students at the school. And since it’s an all-girls academy, the duo is forced to go undercover-in drag. Secret passages, food fights, and far too many fashionistas abound as the Dead Boy Detectives solve the case and learn a lot about life from the precocious daughters of international ambassadors and famous rock stars.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why do you think Edwin and Charles were debating which item to get (between the whistle and cane)? Who do you agree with and why?
  2. The Dead Boy Detectives encounter various supernatural beings and navigate the complex dynamics of the ghostly realm. Discuss the role of world-building in the series. How does the depiction of the afterlife contribute to the overall atmosphere and tone of the story?
  3. Neil Gaiman’s original creation, the Dead Boy Detectives, first appeared in the Sandman comic series. How does the Dead Boy Detectives standalone series expand upon their characters and stories? Do you think it successfully captures the essence of Gaiman’s creation?
  4. The series delves into themes of friendship, identity, and loss. How do these themes resonate throughout the narrative? In what ways do the characters’ experiences with death and the afterlife contribute to their personal growth and self-discovery?
  5. The protagonists, Charles Rowland and Edwin Paine, are teenagers who died under different circumstances and ended up in the ghostly realm of Dead School. How do their personalities and backgrounds shape their approach to solving mysteries? How do they complement each other as a team?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes

I haven’t read this in forever, I’m pretty sure it was one of the first spin-off from binging the Sandman (again, although I had not read most of it originally) about a decade plus ago, so I’ll need to re-read to play along, but I’m partially game on a delayed basis, I remember the search and I remember liking the Gaiman dialogue a bit more than the first volume, but that was also true about Tim Hunter. And I can express opinions on number 5, but I should really re-read it first, and probably read the Gaiman original as well.

2 Likes