Obscurity of DC Presents: Ultra-bscure Book Club, Week 18 (March 19-March 25) --- DC MECH!

Welcome, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Obscurity of DC’s eighteenth Ultr-Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

DC: MECH!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 6

Description from dc.fandom.com: DC: Mech was a limited series, published by DC Comics. Set outside the main continuity, it retold DC’s history as a mechanized arms race between Earth and Apokolips after a Parademon scout came to Earth in 1945. It took place on Earth 28.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. How do you feel about so many heroes being killed off so early on in the series? Explain.
  2. Which of the heroes was your favorite? Why?
  3. Some key characters were introduced later in the series. Did you like that? Why or why not?
  4. Do you like Luthor being an ally to the heroes in this series? Why or why not?
  5. Did you like the fact that Hawkgirl was Batman’s godmother? Why or why not?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

2 Likes
  1. How do you feel about so many heroes being killed off so early on in the series? Explain.

I think it makes sense for this story/the universe to turn out this way – they needed a big, dramatic example to show why our heroes need to go from the time of traditional superheroics to mech pilots.

1. Which of the heroes was your favorite? Why?

That’s a hard one – Batman’s always fun for me, same with Wonder Woman. I liked the idea of the Green Lantern initially requiring two pilots (Pacific Rim reference?). The Superman here was really interesting to see how different he is coming to Earth as a young adult. Speaking of…

1. Some key characters were introduced later in the series. Did you like that? Why or why not?

I believe you mean the Kents – that was cool. They worked well to help ground this different take on Superman. When I saw Martha in the Aliens-like mech, I was half expecting some lady bigot to be in the group to get at Kal and she fights them off with her mech yelling “Get away from him, you ■■■■■!” :laughing:

1. Do you like Luthor being an ally to the heroes in this series? Why or why not?

Was he though? I mean, he wasn’t directly against the heroes in this one, I suppose, but he was hardly an ally. Hell, he inadvertently killed Batman’s parents in this one! Speaking of…

1. Did you like the fact that Hawkgirl was Batman’s godmother? Why or why not?

That was a neat twist. I kind of wish we got a little more into that, maybe some flashbacks on how that dynamic really worked.

1 Like