Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 61 (June 4-June 10) --- YELLOW PERI!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 61 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week will be a mini, and we’ll be focusing on…

YELLOW PERI!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 2

What We’ll Be Reading: New Adventures of Superboy (Issues 34 and 35)

Description from dc.fandom.com: Yellow Peri was a young girl with a magic book and an imp called Gazook. More of a nuisance than an outright villain, she was stopped by Superboy.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Considering Loretta lived in Oregon, why do you think she tested her powers all the way in Smallville?
  2. How do you think Yellow Peri’s relationship with Gazook affected the story?
  3. Do you think Yellow Peri is a hero, anti-hero, or villain? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

3 Likes

Ok, I’m definitely going to try to read the comics. :grinning:

1 Like

There’s only 2 this week :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve read the first book and really enjoyed it, I’ll read the second book tomorrow.:grinning:

2 Likes

Hello @Jurisdiction, I’ve just finish reading the second book of Superboy this morning, DC Universe Infinite app skip the book I wanted to read, that was confusing at first thankfully I found the book I wanted. And here’s to answer your questions…

1. She probably was looking for a right magic book or a right magician to find, and probably read the newspaper about a magician visiting Smallville, so she wanted to learn all she can about magic.

2. Everybody need a good friend to help out, only he’s no Jiminy Cricket. I say their relationship is good, even if he gives her a ok advice, not all bad, one thing for sure, good or bad magic comes with a terrible price!

3. I’m so glad you ask this, I don’t think she’s really a villain, or a hero, just a misunderstood character who’s making a terrible choice, and even gets a wrong idea about Superboy.

It’s too bad she only appeared in 2 comics, would’ve been interesting if they brought her back. She reminded me of Jeannie from I Dream Of Jeannie, instead of blinking, she’s causing trouble by reading! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

She’s actually in a bunch more, but DCUI doesn’t have too many of her appearances

2 Likes

Total full circle moment for me. One of my very first Superman comics featured Yellow Peri:

I read the Superboy issues and will discuss them when I have some more time. :laughing:

3 Likes

Well that comic caught my interest! Hope DC Universe Infinite add more comic of Yellow Peri. :grinning:

3 Likes

So I really enjoyed the two issues of Superboy. I was still trying to figure out if her name was a take on “Yellow Peril”…but I guess I can’t really see how. Anyways, just some great Bronze Age Superboy stories there. One of these days (and hopefully DCUI-willing) I hope to do a huge Bronze Age Super-family read. Fingers crossed for more Bronze Age material to make it out digitally.

3 Likes

Just finished reading Action Comics (1938-) #559 which reads like a direct sequel to the Superboy issues featuring Yellow Peri.

But I think I straight up fell down the Bronze Age Superman rabbit hole now. Gonna have to go an dig my physical issues out.

2 Likes

I’d apologize but those are some great comics lol

2 Likes

No worries at all. I’m especially excited to read Action Comic #567 with Yellow Peri context now.

A couple months ago, I finally made it to Batman #373 (my first issue) as part of my Bronze Age Batman read and reread and it was such an enhanced experience knowing the ins and outs of the ongoing series. I expect this to be the same.

2 Likes

That’s awesome! I’d love to hear how the read-through goes :slight_smile:

2 Likes