Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 54 (March 19-March 25) --- CLARK KENT?

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 54 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on… no, that can’t be… but he’s not obscure… OH YES HE IS! We’re focusing on…

CLARK KENT!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 4

Description from dc.com: Set in the real world, SECRET IDENTITY examines the life of a young Kansas man with the unfortunate name of Clark Kent. All Clark wants is to be a writer, but his daily life is filled with the taunts and jibes of his peers, comparing him to that other Clark Kent — the one with super-powers. Until one day when Clark awakens to discover that he can fly…that he does in fact have super-strength! But where did these powers come from? And what’s he going to do about it?

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. In the beginning, we learn that Clark really envies Superman’s ability to be Clark Kent, not Superman. Why do you think that is?
  2. In the beginning, Clark claims he just wants a Lana and Pete. Later on, he claims it feels good to be away from everyone. What do you think he envies more: friends or isolation? Why?
  3. Do you like how each issue begins with an old Superman panel? Why or why not?
  4. Do you like that the each issue takes place at a different age of Clark’s life? Why or why not?
  5. Do you prefer this Superman’s tactics in staying a myth, or the canon Superman’s tactics in being a public figure? Why?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

7 Likes

Excellent choice! Can’t wait to read it!
:superman: :superman: :superman:

4 Likes
  1. I think Clark just wanted to belong and felt like he didn’t fit in, even as a regular person.
  2. Clark is ambivalent about being close to others because of his abilities. I admire him for taking the risk and sharing the truth with Lois.
  3. Yes, I like the old panels. They show the Superman that Clark knew from fiction that informed how he approached using his powers.
  4. I thought the 4 issue journey through Clark’s life was a good choice. Hitting the highlights of a long and happy career and marriage.
  5. I think that Clark made the right choice in the world of this story to remain hidden. He was able to save a lot of people while still living as normal a life as possible.

This was an amazing story! The ending made me teary-eyed in a good way! Thank you for choosing it @Jurisdiction!

4 Likes

Isn’t this the Clark Kent who becomes Superboy Prime?

EDIT: Never mind. Just looked.

3 Likes

Thanks so much @Ethan_Thorn!

3 Likes

Superman: Secret Identity is not only one of my favorite Elseworlds story (okay, so they didn’t put the logo on it, but it’s an Elseworlds) but it’s also one of my favorite Superman stories.

Busiek and Immonen gave us a story with a lot of heart. It’s really something special, and I’m envious of the people who will get to experience this for the first time.

4 Likes

Amazing answers @scoop001! And I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It’s my favorite series!

1 Like

That’s what I’m saying bro!! Lol

I’m glad you enjoyed it @superby1!

2 Likes

That’s the wro—

Oh you edited it.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I remember when it was announced, then when it came out and I bought each issue, then reading it again all in one go.

It’s easily one of my favorite Superman stories, even though it’s about someone in our world.

3 Likes

It’s my favorite series period!

3 Likes

It’s a wonderful book, and if it’s your first, I envy you the experience; it’s one of my favorite re-reads and a great example to use against people who want to argue that Clark Kent or Superman is/are boring or that this character has no/few good stories. Particularly because it’s a very eminently re-readable tale, and even those people I have argued this with have come back and admitted this!

3 Likes

I 110% agree!

2 Likes

Man, it has been ages since I first read this book, when I was starting to get into comics and borrowing books from the library and was snatching up anything that looked half interesting. I remember loving it then, should be fun to see how it holds up now. :smiley:

4 Likes

Hope you still like it!

2 Likes

It holds up really well. I was familiar enough with it when I also first came across it on a catalog search for DC holdings by local library as well so it was something I particularly sought out but some years later, when I went to a branch expecting to pick up the hard bound version of Seven Soldiers, I came across it again and took it as a quick read on my bus ride back home to my apartment, and found some stuff I didn’t remember and over-all thought it held up really well, that while I don’t re-read yearly, I do find myself wanting to re-read it, whereas some other things, like For All Seasons, the villainous plot still gives me major pauses and makes me not want to even attempt it, even for the beats or art I really like.

3 Likes