Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 24 (July 31 - August 6) --- ETERNITY GIRL

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 24 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

ETERNITY GIRL
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+

Number of Issues: 6

Description from dccomics.com: Caroline Sharp has been a lot of things, including a superhero and a super-spy. But now, with those days behind her and her powers proving unreliable, Caroline finds herself stuck in a life weighed down by her depression and an inability to change. You see, Caroline is going to live forever, and there is no escape to be had. All of that could change, however, when her old foe, Madame Atom, comes to her with an intriguing offer.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. The art style changes a lot throughout the series. Did you enjoy that? Why or why not?
  2. Another team, Alpha 13, was introduced in this series. Did you like the new team? Explain.
  3. Caroline really wanted to die throughout the whole series. If she did die, do you think she would be content, or regretful? Or a different feeling? Explain.
  4. Do you think it would be better for Caroline’s well-being to live or to die? Explain.
  5. Do you think Eternity Girl cared more about herself or the world? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

1 Like

Finished this one a few days back – really interesting stuff. I loved how they utilized the meta narrative about big-two superhero comics and used it to tell a effective tale about depression and suicidal ideation.

1. The art style changes a lot throughout the series. Did you enjoy that? Why or why not?

I don’t know if I’d say the art style changed, but they did show off a lot of varied interpretations and versions of these characters, which helped sell this strange multiversal and philosophical tale.

1. Another team, Alpha 13, was introduced in this series. Did you like the new team? Explain.

Eh…they were basically a typical black-ops superhero team, I thought. Throw a rock in any direction and you would have hit five of these types, especially in the 90s/early 00s.

The only character from Alpha 13 I really liked was Dani. I thought she was a great advocate for Caroline and maybe I missed it earlier, but I really enjoyed the reveal at the end of her being a trans woman, and the backstory that she had to sacrifice her career in the Air Force to be who she was meant to be.

1. Caroline really wanted to die throughout the whole series. If she did die, do you think she would be content, or regretful? Or a different feeling? Explain.

Well, she wouldn’t feel anything, because she would be…dead, and that was kind of the idea. When most people are considering suicide, it’s not because they think they would feel better, it’s because they want the pain or trauma or even just numbness to stop and they feel like there is no other way to stop it.

1. Do you think it would be better for Caroline’s well-being to live or to die? Explain.

Again, when she’s dead she has no well being, she’s just…gone. I think a better question is if there is any way for her to find some semblance of peace without damning the rest of the world, and I think she does find it at the end.

1. Do you think Eternity Girl cared more about herself or the world? Explain.

I think she did care for the world initially – she was a superhero, after all. I think the trauma of what she became and all that made it so existing for her became so painful that she would do anything to make it stop, and while she was initially swayed into destroying the world, that was always something she was conflicted with.

2 Likes

*The art style changes a lot throughout the series. Did you enjoy that? Why or why not?
I didn’t consider it a change really, just a way of expressing different view points.

• Another team, Alpha 13, was introduced in this series. Did you like the new team? Explain.
    Not particular, seemed like a standard background team to me, to create a bit of conflict, could’ve been any team.
  • Caroline really wanted to die throughout the whole series. If she did die, do you think she would be content, or regretful? Or a different feeling? Explain.
    In general, you are not normally satisfied when your wish is granted, as the underlying issue hasn’t been addressed.
  • Do you think it would be better for Caroline’s well-being to live or to die? Explain.
    Since, I am not sure she is alive now, can’t really answer that.
  • Do you think Eternity Girl cared more about herself or the world? Explain.
    It varied from issue to issue and moment to moment.
1 Like