Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 21 (July 9 - July 16) --- NATHANIEL DUSK!

Hi, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 21 (the first week back from hiatus) of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

NATHANIEL DUSK!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 4

A very brief description taken from the DC Wiki: Nathaniel Dusk is a New York City private investigator who began his career in 1934.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Why do you think the writers decided to make the story take place in 1934, when it was published in 1984?
  2. Do you think it was the right decision for Nathaniel Dusk to leave the police force? Why or why not?
  3. Why do you think Joyce Guliano wanted Nate to be a cop so badly?
  4. Why do you think so many people Nate cares about die?
  5. Why do you Nathaniel Dusk neglected to tell Joyce’s kids if he loved Joyce or not?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

6 Likes

What if I’m only 11 and a half years old?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just pickin

5 Likes

Lmfao! It’s a suggestion, so I guess just use your better judgement

5 Likes

Great choice @Jurisdiction!

4 Likes

Maybe I can handle it since I’m 44

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

@xLOVEandDoomPatrolx Thanks so much!

@bigblock66 :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes
  • Why do you think the writers decided to make the story take place in 1934, when it was published in 1984?
    A simpler world view and the story makes more sense in that era, when hard-boiled detectives were more common

• Do you think it was the right decision for Nathaniel Dusk to leave the police force? Why or why not?
    Yes, not everyone is suited for working in a toxic environment, nor to change it from within.

• Why do you think Joyce Guliano wanted Nate to be a cop so badly?
    Her world view is the cops are good and you live in the system.

• Why do you think so many people Nate cares about die?
    Makes for a more interesting story, and some people are just touched by death

• Why do you Nathaniel Dusk neglected to tell Joyce’s kids if he loved Joyce or not?
    *Denial was quite common at that time and Man didn’t express emotions. *

1 Like