Obscurity of DC Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 17 (May 29-June 5) --- CAMELOT 3000!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 17 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

CAMELOT 3000!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 6 – Please only read issues 1-6

Description from dccomics.com: In the year 3000, an armada of destructive aliens has unleashed an all-out assault on Earth and is poised to conquer the planet. But when a young boy stumbles upon the crypt of King Arthur, the legendary monarch and the Knights of the Round Table are magically reincarnated. Together once again, King Arthur, Sir Lancelot, Merlin, and the rest of the classic knights take on the invading extraterrestrials and their wicked leader, Morgan Le Fay, the half-sister of Arthur. A mythical tale of honor and bravery, CAMELOT 3000 proves that some heroes are timeless.

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. The first thing we read in this comic series is a quote from poet T.S. Eliot. It says “This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.” In what ways do you think T.S. Eliot’s quote reflects what is happening in the first six issues of the series?
  2. Why do you think King Arthur didn’t wake up during other crises in England, like Crisis on Infinite Earths or the rise of Leviathan?
  3. Why do you think King Arthur is the only hero in 3000?
  4. As stated in issue 1, nobody really really believes in magic in 3000. How do you think King Arthur and Merlin’s appearances will affect the people of Earth in 3000?
  5. Why do you think “Futrelle’s Fortress” was chosen to be New Camelot?

Camelot 3000 was suggested by @Jay_Kay. If you want to suggest a series to focus on, that follows an obscure character, feel free to put your suggestion in the Reichuss Mansion.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

4 Likes

I read this a couple of weeks ago and talked about it briefly in a different thread.

Glad that the people who enjoyed it did, though. I just found it to be disappointing.

4 Likes

Oh. Sorry @TheRealDetectiveChimp.

4 Likes

It’s alright. I may not have been the biggest fan of this particular comic but there are a ton of other comics out there that I might enjoy. What were your thoughts on this series?

4 Likes

I enjoy it. I think it’s really entertaining.

3 Likes

Glad you liked my suggestion! Looking forward to seeing what other people think of it.

I may have said it in the initial thread when I suggested it, but one of the interesting things about this book was that it was the first attempt in DC to create an original maxi-series that was for the direct market, which allowed them to be more experimental in terms of the kind of art they can do on the page and in content. It’s also I believe the only time that artist Brian Bolland has done a monthly series, at least in America.

4 Likes
  1. I think the lack of ability to resist on the part of Earth represents the whimper in the quote.
  2. I don’t believe this Earth is one where Superman or other heroes have ever existed, as shown by the vote refusing to continue space travel.
  3. On this Earth, all of the heroes we know never existed, except maybe as fiction.
  4. Some people will have a hard time believing in them. Based on the popular response we are shown, Arthur and Merlin inspire hope.
  5. One reason is that it belongs to the present day Lancelot. Another is that it is one of the few places on the crowded Earth where they could have a base.
2 Likes

I just remembered that I never did this!

1. I think it’s showing that there is still hope to halt the destruction of Earth. King Arthur became the embodiment of said hope in the second or third issue.
  2. Merlin’s spell was almost intercepted once. It may have been tampered with during King Arthur’s rest, in order to spread more evil.
  3. Honestly, I’ve thought long and hard about this. We know people stopped believing in magic and miracles and stuff like that. I think superheroes realized that they couldn’t help people that couldn’t see past their own pessimism, and they gave up.
  4. It finally gave them hope! The whole world just saw true magic for the first time in however many years! I think they’ll be inspired to defend their home.
  5. It’s secluded, looks awesome, and was already owned by a knight of the round table! It’s a steal!
2 Likes
  1. The first thing we read in this comic series is a quote from poet T.S. Eliot. It says “This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.” In what ways do you think T.S. Eliot’s quote reflects what is happening in the first six issues of the series?
    I think it refers to the fact we can’t fight back and as such it will end with little resistance from Earth, at this point on the story.
  2. Why do you think King Arthur didn’t wake up during other crises in England, like Crisis on Infinite Earths or the rise of Leviathan?
    As to Leviathan it was humans fighting humans, not a direct threat to the country, so too little a threat. As to Crisis, again not what he was to awaken for, he was to awaken for the saving of the realm, to the universe.it was too big a threat to trigger him.
  3. Why do you think King Arthur is the only hero in 3000?
    I believe as usual humanity reverted at some point to fearing those who were different and as such they eliminated them or outgrew the need for them.
  4. As stated in issue 1, nobody really really believes in magic in 3000. How do you think King Arthur and Merlin’s appearances will affect the people of Earth in 3000?
    Magically
  5. Why do you think “Futrelle’s Fortress” was chosen to be New Camelot?
    As close to a fortified castle and base as you could get n that age.
2 Likes