Obscurity of DC Presents: Month of Obscurity, Month 1 (March) -- Hourman (Android Version)

Hello, @ObscurityofDCClub and everyone else on the community! Welcome to the first ever Month of Obscurity! To kick things off for the month of March, we’ll be focusing on the android version of…

HOURMAN!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Number of Issues: 25

In this series, Hourman, an enhanced android from 853rd century, tries to find his humanity. Throughout the journey, he meets several friends, like Snapper Carr, and clashes with several enemies. Will Hourman finally find himself, or will his doubts and confusion consume him? Read Hourman to find out!

Some discussion questions:

1. How do you feel about Hourman limiting his powers? Was it responsible? Impulsive? Explain.
  2. Do you think Snapper is a good influence for Hourman? Why or why not?
  3. In Issues 3 and 4, we see Hourman’s future self. However, he has a slightly different look. Why do you think that is?
  4. Do you think it was fair for Metron to grant Hourman his omnipotency? Why or why not?
  5. Do you like Hourman (the character, not the series)? Why or why not?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join here if you’re interested!

5 Likes

Well, that will be a bunch of reading.

3 Likes

Oh yeah!

3 Likes

Answering my own questions again!

I think it was really impulsive and irresponsible to limit Hourman’s powers. However, I do understand why he did it.

Snapper Carr is a good influence for Hourman when it comes to humanity. He has such a great personality and is a good example of the good of the human race. However, Snapper Carr is also very irresponsible and should not be looked up to, in my opinion.

I think Hourman looks different in the future because he wants to show his development. He started off with the least bit of humanity, but, at the end of the series, it’s clear that he has become human, mentally and emotionally.

I don’t think it was fair to grant Hourman – keep in mind, he’s 2 – omnipotence. Hourman wasn’t ready, and shouldn’t have been tasked with controlling that much power.

I personally love Hourman! He’s so nice (and occasionally impulsive), just like me. Also, his naivety results in some funny moments in my opinion.

3 Likes
  1. I understand why he decided to limit his powers. No one should be omnipotent.
  2. Snapper is a good influence in some ways. He is showing Hourman how to enjoy life and not just exist. However, he could be more responsible.
  3. Based on later issues, there is a good reason he looks different.
  4. No, Metron shouldn’t have made Hourman omnipotent. No man or machine can handle that kind of power.
  5. I do like Hourman because he is not just a machine. He has emotions and cares about his friends.

I have to say this series had a very abrupt and unsatisfying ending.

2 Likes

I agree with that (about the ending) but I think they thought there would be a continuation or something.

2 Likes

I never did tag the @ObscurityofDCClub

3 Likes
  1. How do you feel about Hourman limiting his powers? Was it responsible? Impulsive? Explain.
    I felt it was done in an attempt to become more human or to experience humanity and limitations,.Was it responsible or impulsive, it was what he conlucded that he needed doing, if you believe with Great Power Comes Great responsibility and your life should be subservient to that principle then yes it was irresponsible, personally, although you may have an obligation to be a hero, as they saw know yourself first.
  2. Do you think Snapper is a good influence for Hourman? Why or why not?
    A good influence probably not, as a foil to allow him to grow, yes.
  3. In Issues 3 and 4, we see Hourman’s future self. However, he has a slightly different look. Why do you think that is?
    He has found himself so to speak and this is a reflection of that.
  4. Do you think it was fair for Metron to grant Hourman his omnipotency? Why or why not?
    No, it wasn’t, to be granted such a gift without growing into it or being born with it, would be too life impacting on an individual for them to determine what to do, they would be guided by the gift not themselves.
  5. Do you like Hourman (the character, not the series)? Why or why not?
    He was an interesting character in this series and, I enjoyed watching his growth, though I never saw him as a long term character to read monthly evermore.
2 Likes