Obscurity of DC Club/Smallville Fan Club Collaboration Read-A-Long: Chloe Sullivan!

• Did you prefer Chloe more in Smallville , or in the comics? Why?
    • Its hard because in Smallville we get to see her growing into her own person besides all her super friends but in the comics she’s less connected to that world. Even in Season 11 she and Oliver are starting a family and trying to figure out how that fits with all the superheroics. So I’d have to pics show Chloe. Plus, as much as I hate Allison Mack today, she really was a fantastic actor and made it easy to be captivated with Chloe’s subplots.
  • What was your favorite thing about Chloe in the comics? What about in Smallville ?
    • Again, I’m totally biased for the show and probably because we’re watching the early episodes right now, but I love her character on the show especially in those early seasons. She’s the stand in for Lois and the fact that they tie them as cousins was such a great move. Seeing the character in the comics just makes me so happy! I mean even Otis gets brought into the comics! There’s something really sweet about it. Like when they bring in past superhero movie actors to play cameos. Just warms my heart :slight_smile:
  • Are you a fan of Chloe? Why or why not?
    • I’m a fan. But I think she and Pete should have become a couple and she could have been one boss First Lady to his POTUS.
  • Obviously, there are a few differences between the Chloe in Smallville and the Chloe in the comics. Are there any aspects from the comics that you would’ve liked to see in the show, and vice versa?
    • I actually think the comic version of her is still true to her TV character enough that I literally read her speech bubbles in Mack’s voice lol I feel like its the same character and I loved her flirting with Jimmy, BA reporters nose, and they even had her VW Bug! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
  • Considering Allison Mack’s recent scandal (@Bar-El wrote a profile about it here), do you think it’s fair to judge Chloe’s character based on one actress who played her? (This has been a recurring question online.)
    • Ugh this is such a hard one. Its easy to say love the art, not the artist, but dang it’s not that simple. I’d like to be able to separate the two but unfortunately it’s just not that easy for me. Instead I find I can at least enjoy the episodes and get excited to see the character make it into the comics, but it’s clouded by the knowledge that she’s a monster and how heartbreaking it is for such a great character to be marred by the person who breathed life into it in the first place! Just like with Michael Jackson music, I still love the music, but it leaves me thinking about what a garbage human he was and how sad that his life’s work will forever have a dark cloud following it around. Same goes for other actors, or hey even directors, that we learn are either horrible people or straight up criminals. It’s just heartbreaking on so many levels. It also feels wrong to give these people any margin whatsoever when they’ve ruined innocent peoples lives and traumatized them for no other reason than they are sick. They deserve everything they have coming to them too. Be it jail time or literally a career thrown down the toilet. As a society and in the entertainment sphere in particular, we need to pay attention to the warning signs and go above and beyond to either protect artists from being so abused that they continue the cycle, or have zero tolerance for literally criminal behavior. Mack was like, 19? when she started Smallville. Most of the rest of the cast and crew were all adults. There is a huge vulnerability there and that cult completely swooped her up. Where was her agent? Her parents? Not to mention (sorry now I’m on a rant) the dude running the cult had done so like, 3 other times and the Feds were totally keeping tabs on him. What were they waiting for?? How did he slip through all those other times?? Just infuriating. And I haven’t seen the documentary yet so maybe the facts would explain this better but from what I’ve gleaned pretty much everyone knew this guy was slime. Ok rant over :face_exhaling: I’m just so tired of hearing about the entertainment industry’s repeated failures to look out for their employees. I know it’s not really set up that way, but maybe it needs to be? :woman_shrugging:
6 Likes