Obscurity of DC Club -- Reichuss Mansion

I joined so as to vote, but I can’t vote ATM. Darn parademons screwing around in the control room. :joy:

Anyway, I think the Furies straddle the line between somewhat-known and obscure.

There’s a certain segment of fandom that came to know them from outside media (I discovered them via STAS), while others discovered them in their native medium.

After they appear in a big comic story that gets mainstream attention and/or a theatrically-released movie is when they’ll likely become well-known.

2 Likes

Well this didn’t help…

2 Likes

I just voted for no, so…did that help?

Likely not, but hey, every vote counts. :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes

On one hand, they’re a Kirby creation, have been around for 50 years (happy birthday ladies!), had their own self-titled miniseries in fairly recent history, and have been adapted to 12 different animated series, one live action, and four video games. Plus they have mass produced kid-targeted toys (as opposed to deep adult collector toys).
imageimage

On the other hand, in those 50 years they’ve appeared as a team in less than 200 issues, and aside from Barda and Granny, even less solo. Most of the aforementioned adaptations have been single-episode or single-arc (2-3 episode) appearances, and LEGO totally undermarketed the DCSHG line.

So I voted no, they’re not obscure because I think they’re well known, but would totally be down to consider them obscure for the sake of Book Cluuuuuuubbing.

3 Likes

I have the Lego DC Superhero Girls Lashina. She’s adorable.

For whatever reason, Lashina is one of the few Furies that has more than one figure. Not a hard nut to crack, seeing as next to none of the other Furies have toys or collectibles, unfortunately.

2 Likes

More than one LEGO minifigure/minidoll? Or just more than one toy in general?

3 Likes

More than one figure in general.

The only other Lashina figure that immediately comes to mind is from this Target exclusive JLU six-pack that was released in 2008:

3 Likes

Ah, yes, I’ve seen that. I think there are some Barda and Granny figures and collector statues, but for the core Furies, its weird that Lashina gets all the love. Maybe because she’s the only one with a “standard” action figure body type so it can be done on the cheap?

3 Likes

Barda has a few figures. However, I always forget she was part of the group (even though “ex-Fury” is usually one of her key background points), and I often see her more as Scott’s better half.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Spin Master and McFarlane tackle the Furies in a major way, as they certainly deserve love from multiple companies, lines and scales.

4 Likes

Poor Vibe.

The breakdancing hero, Cisco was given much needed praise in the flash tv show but he is surprisingly left in comic book limbo and I don’t know why.

I believe he was the first justice league member to formally die and it seems to stuck with him for a good majority of the pre-flashpoint era.

Now he did come back in his own series in the Justice League of America spin-off Vibe along with a recharacterized Gypsy and Dale Gunn from the Detroit team.

and while a decent series afterward Vibe hasn’t returned since.

It’s strange because their truly is nothing wrong with Vibe. He has a fun personality, he’s got a interesting backstory both in the old JLA books and the new 52, has a good motivational goal to prove himself as a hero in the justice league, and has powerful vibrational powers that could shatter guns. How cool is that!

Obvious recommendations for Vibe would be Gerry Conway Justice League of America(1984) annual #1 till #258

And back again with new 52 Justice league of America Vibe series by Geoff Johns and Sterling Gates.

3 Likes

I think The Flash has brought Cisco out of obscurity, but I have already added Paco Ramone’s Vibed to the list

3 Likes

Hope you don’t mind if I throw some ideas out there. Some of these I’ve read at some point, others I’ve heard of and think would make for interesting club material:

Challengers of the Unknown – or as I remember seeing it on an old trade in a library back in the day, “The Challengers of the Unknown MUST DIE!” It re-introduces these goofy but fun silver age characters…right before utterly destroying their lives, and we get to see how – or if – they can pick up the pieces. It’s also notable for being some of the earliest work and the first team up of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, which is probably the biggest selling point.

Cinder & Ashe (Ultra) – Notable for being written by comic great Gerry Conway and even more so for being drawn by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, about a pair of private eyes, one still haunted by the horrors of the Vietnam war, the other a byproduct of it, as they chase down a kidnapped girl across the United States.

Cover (Ultra) – I’m honestly kind of surprised this is still on the service since writer Brian Michael Bendis moved a lot of his creator-owned work to Dark Horse recently, but him and David Mack tell what looks like an interesting story inspired by true events about a group of comic book creators who are enlisted as counterintelligence agents.

Duo – notable for being the first new character added to the Milestone universe since…when the universe started, basically, about a husband and wife working on nanotechnology, seemingly murdered but survive by becoming one body with both minds sharing control.

Hard Time – notable for being one of the last works by Steve Gerber, writer possibly most famous for creating Howard the Duck, tells a very, VERY different tale about a 15 year old boy who commits a crime so heinous he’s sentences as an adult and sent to maximum security prison, with no one, not even him, knowing about a powerful and dangerous power brewing deep inside him…

Inferior Five – written and drawn by both Jeff Lemire and Keith Giffen, set during the events of the DC event “Invasion,” about a group of five kids being taken by mysterious forces. And while this character certainly isn’t obscure anymore, this also features a back-up story featuring Peacemaker well before John Cena put his invisible self in that goofy get-up in The Suicide Squad.

Ronin (Ultra) – When it comes to Frank Miller in the 80s, everyone talks about The Dark Knight Returns, or Year One, or his Dardevil run, but you rarely hear people talk about one of his earliest creator-owned stories. A Ronin from 13th Century Japan suddenly finds himself thrust into a Cyberpunk New York City on a mission to find and kill that which killed his master – the demon Agat. If you’re thinking this sounds really similar to the popular animated series Samurai Jack, that’s because creator Genndy Tartakovsky has cited Ronin as a very big influence. It’s also a bit timely since Miller is actually creating a sequel to the book right now with his publishing venture Frank Miller Presents.

3 Likes

Of course not! That’s what this thread is for :slight_smile:

I think most people on here know of this, so I’m not gonna add it.

Added to list

Added to list

Already on list

Added to list

Already on list

Added to list

3 Likes

Anyone remember the failed heir apparent to Etrigan?

Meet Ame. A 17-year old assistant to a Yakuza boss by day and illegal drag racing driver by night.

She has a persona of a modest individual who handles the day to day operations of a criminal enterprise to one who dress-up in Japanese punk aesthetic with a bad mouth and attitude.

She takes brief control over Etregan after Jason expunged him from his body and found his way to her.

She premiered in DC presents: Demon Driven Out

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of her, she sounds amazing, he design is so cool, and she’s now on the list

2 Likes

“Do you know the Quills. No?” Good because if you did you’ll find yourself as soup in their family dinners because they are cannibals.

Peter Milligan and Dean Ormston graphic novel is a story about a family of cannibals who in this black comedy has them travel the country looking for their next meal. It’s a surprisingly good slice of life comic with your occasionally dark humor from the horror of our twisted family.

Cassandra “Cassy” Gills is the teenage daughter who simply wants a boyfriend without her parents trying to eat him. She is my favorite.

2 Likes

Good call! Adding to the list now

2 Likes

Hey, look! It’s a gender-bent scarless Freddy Kruger!

(No really. Look at the glove.)

3 Likes

Haha, yeah, I never watched Smallville but did notice that they leaned heavily on the “power claw” variation of Harriet’s power spikes that came later. From my understanding in the wiki, they made the claws (and other Fury weapons) Kryptonite powered, and the Furies were just normal human fighters… no reason they had to lean so heavily in to the Krueger style. I imagine spikes would have been easier to wear and fight with (both for the actress and character).

3 Likes

Aquaman - Atlantis Chronicles 1990 7 Issue Mini-Series

If you like Aquaman, I highly recommend Peter David’s Atlantis Chronicles. It may not be the most obscure book out there, but it is largely forgotten compared to David’s core Aquaman run.

2 Likes