Hey @ObscurityofDCClub, @DoomPatrolClub and the rest of the DC Community! As some of you may know, a legend has recently fallen. The amazing Rachel Pollack has recently passed away from hodgkins lymphoma, a cancer in the immune system. Pollack has had an immense impact on several people both within and outside of the comic industry. She advocated for the rights of the trans community, women’s rights, and Jewish awareness. Pollack created the first-ever mainstream character to be openly transgender. That is who we will be focusing on for the next few weeks…
AGE SUGGESTION: 17+
Number of Issues: 6 — Please only read issues 76-81 (Unless you haven’t read 70-75 yet… then read those first)
Description from wikipedia.com: Coagula is a transgender lesbian, former prostitute and programmer. After having sex with former Doom Patrol member Rebis (“an alchemical hermaphrodite”), Coagula gained “alchemical powers the power to dissolve things on the one hand and coagulate them on the other hand.” She tried to join the Justice League, but “it’s implied that she was rejected in part for being an out transgender lesbian activist”; she instead joined the Doom Patrol. Coagula first appears in issue 70—“The Laughing Game”—defeating The Codpiece, a spurned man-turned-villain with a multifunctional, mechanical codpiece. After her introduction in the next few issues, Coagula takes center stage in “The Teiresias Wars”, a five-part story combining “Greek mythology with [Pollack’s] twisted retelling of the Tower of Babel”.
Onto the discussion questions:
- Besides the minor argument, how do you think Kate and Cliff’s friendship was changed after Cliff learned that Kate’s transgender?
- Over the span of just a few issues, we see Kate become a major part of the Doom Patrol Family. What factor(s) do you think enabled Kate to fit in and grow so accustomed to the unusual group? Explain.
- Why do you think Kate still looked over Cliff, even after his ignorant comments regarding Kate being transgender?
- In issue 78, we get massive insight on Kate’s life; we learned more of her thoughts, memories, and heroism. In one of my favorite panels, Kate laughed at Agent Contract because he “didn’t have anything we [Kate and Cliff] need.” What do you think she meant by this?
- In issue 78, we see Kate hating the idea of merging with Cliff. In the beginning of issue 79, she resents the idea of separating with him. What do you think made her change her mind?
Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics?
Do you like pineapple on pizza?If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!
Do you an interest in the weird and wild? Do you enjoy the inexplicable? Do you find things like donkey-butt-portals intriguing? If so, the Doom Patrol Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!