Now Presenting: The DC Shop! 🛍

Very much agree. And I’m okay that it’s all clothes, but the selection is, sadly, very frustrating.

A rant here, but I have never understood why the officially licensed merch is so bad. There are websites devoted to unauthorized mech that are FULL of better designs, using DC intellectual property without permission. Warner Brothers/DC seems a lot more lax than Disney/Marvel at issuing takedown notices, but what I will never understand is why these companies don’t just go to these massive sites and hire those artists instead of whoever puts this garbage together. (Sorry, whoever designed some of this, but not really.) People on these sites make money off DC IP, and DC has the absolute best symbols to put on shirts, far better than their competition, but they don’t monetize it well.

I love Jim Lee covers. But a rectangle pasted on a t-shirt, the full cover, is lazy and not good graphic design. I can get a dozen WW84 shirts that are just marketing a movie, or a Doom Patrol shirt that unnecessarily has “DC” over it, but TONS of valuable characters are missing. Simple logos like Green Lantern, Aquaman, Nightwing, Shazam, Robin aren’t there. Let alone I can get lots of other logos on other sites, like Dr. Manhattan, Rorschach, Mr. Terrific, Reverse Flash, Red/Orange/Blue/Yellow/Indigo/Violet/Black/White Lanterns, Legion, Elongated Man, Captain Atom, Firestorm, and tons of stuff from the Arrowverse. And that’s just what I found in five minutes.

Drives me crazy. I’ll probably hang onto my voucher for awhile hoping to get some better options. But please, whoever is in charge, STOP pasting stuff from comic book covers. Those images were designed for comic panels, not t-shirts. Hire real graphic designers, and just use costumes and symbols before branching out into legitimate graphic design. Heck, go steal these artists designs - they’re illegally profiting off of you, what can they really do about it?

Now excuse me while I go buy this awesome Cosmic Boy shirt I found on RedBubble while trying to prove a point.

7 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

Schtuff I’d like to see in the shop:

• comics (Absolute Editions, hardcovers, omnibuses, trade paperbacks, etc)
  • toys, statues and other collectibles
  • home video releases
  • Polo-style shirts with various logos/emblems/etc on the upper left breast

I’m sure these are all coming eventually, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Be careful! Today I had a very Bad customer service from DC Shop. I ordered two 3xl t-shirts and they sent me one in 2xl. After jumping through hoops to prove I wasn’t lying about the mistake they made, they said they would credit me $25. Ok fine but I also paid $10 in shipping. They said they won’t pay for the shipping. So I pay 10 for shipping on the first order. You screw it up. And now you want me to pay another 10 just to get the shirt I wanted and expected originally? After a couple of emails back and forth, I just gave up on them. Left a Very bad taste in my mouth from that regarding DC services. I was a DC Universe pre-order customer and have been here ever since, but not feeling real great about that all now. Just Be careful when ordering from the shop.

2 Likes

I’m gonna agree here with some caveats. I wouldn’t say that there haven’t been any good designs. There have been quite a few, although they were almost exclusively Wonder Woman designs and most are no longer in the store. Giant photos of characters and especially comic covers make really terrible shirts. Logos work, but I have to agree that most of the designs, especially when it comes to the movie stuff, are terrible. It’s also true that there are some artists out there doing amazing stuff that DC needs to license. I bought a Dreamer tee I randomly found, not just because it’s an incredible design, but because there is literally no official Dreamer merch. Please work on this. Also, please bring back the books and the collectibles. It’s kinda sad that there 4 items under collectibles and 3 are sold out.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. I will say that last summer I ordered 2 shirts and after receiving one I emailed that the second was missing. They sent me a new one and the original arrived a week later (meaning I ended up with double). I messaged them about it and they just told me to keep both.

2 Likes

Hello! We will pass all of your feedback up to the Shop Team for review. But might I also suggest writing in and letting them know any suggestions or ideas for things you would like to see in the Shop. Here is the link to send requests: Submit a request – DC Shop

3 Likes