Non-Comic Book fans

I once had a lady come up and tell me “I heard you were a big Batman fan. Me too! I saw him in that movie where he fought Captain America over the guy with the metal arm and that other movie with the clown guy that committed suicide.” I excused myself to go cry in the restroom.

I’m tired of people assuming they know everything about a character because they watched the special features on one of their movies.

7 Likes

I’m thirteen, almost fourteen. I’ve been reading since I right when I turned 12. I know, not very long. I am still learning. To my friends, it is only movies and they think that all movies are the exact same as comics. Ugh. They don’t understand the depth you get from good art and literature.

7 Likes

I’m pretty young too, I remember around that age my friends acted like that also.

To correct myself, they are still like that. Except one, who I finally managed to get to read injustice. Which still, not the best comic out there!

4 Likes

At least they’re reading

3 Likes

@JasonToddGod @AnonymousBB Remind them that the “book” is always better than the movie. :+1:

9 Likes

One point I’d like to add. While it can be frustrating to hear the naive comments from someone who doesn’t know the medium, it’s important to be open and understanding when educating those people. This community has been a warm and welcoming place for everyone and it does so by following that rule. Imagine how it might feel, being on that other side and trying to connect to a “comic nerd” and that person outright alienating you for your attempts. I love seeing the “Where do I start?” and “New to Comics” threads - tons of member replies with a crash course in comics. It’s an enjoyable place to spend time and learn more for that reason.

TLDR: Be nice to the newbs! Help them understand why we love comics! :batman_hv_1: :superman_hv_4: :gl_hv_5: :flash_hv_1:

16 Likes

Agreed; well said.

6 Likes

Thank you, @moro! :blush:

3 Likes

Keep at it. Work hard. You’ll know more than you need to and have my cheery disposition before you know it!

3 Likes

I’m sarcastic a lot, but I couldn’t agree with this more. This place is amazing for people new to the medium. I wish it had been around in 1988!

4 Likes

Well said @KeyFamily. Also, let the girls play. In my day I would have killed for a girl that liked comics. Today, guys are saying they’re not real fans. What?!

I don’t know about you, but I’m with them:

We’re all misfits!!

8 Likes

You guys are killing me, this is such a great conversation, well put @KeyFamily

5 Likes

and yes, it would be nice to have girls like comics

6 Likes

I bet @TurokSonOfStone1950 remembers this: “Why are you wasting your time reading those “JOKE” books?”

4 Likes

Well, @TravisMorgan… secret’s out: I’M a girl!

I appreciate your words more than you know and haven’t revealed much about myself for the very reasons you mentioned.

Quick Sad Side Story: I always wanted to read comics with my dad (he was into comics!). He wanted nothing to do with it, always wanted a boy. My little brother was born and as it turns out, he wasn’t interested in reading comics with my dad.

I’ve had experiences in real life where people obviously see me as a female and don’t give me the time of day. It’s been an amazing opportunity to chat in a community with respect and a real passion for helping us all be at the top of our comic game. Thank you!

19 Likes

Funny enough, that was my perspective on him as a kid (though I loved the Reeves movies), but that changed as I got older. While I still love my broodier characters, somewhere along the way, I began to really admire everything he encompasses, as symbol and character.

As for the OP, it drives me a little batty when I hear people say superhero movies are for everyone but comics are for kids.

11 Likes

Don’t sweat it, what you have contributed to this community is fantastic @KeyFamily

6 Likes

Kinda had a feeling :wink:

Good to have you regardless!

7 Likes

@KeyFamily You’re always welcome to hang with us and read comics. It’s great that you have such insight, knowledge, and passion for the hobby! Keep it up! :+1:

9 Likes

Really? I always thought you were a whole family of keys.

10 Likes