Nocturna Returna [Jason Todd] Week 6: Jan. 6-19

I thought it was quite brilliant, actually. He’s taking a bad situation and making the most out of it. That’s even better than Batman was doing there for most of this; Jason’s handling the situation was a lot less emotional than Bruce’s, so he actually seemed like the mature one for a minute.

That, or he’s just a kid and doesn’t realize the gravity of the situation.

Well, Nocturna doesn’t really know what love is, I think, so she kind of moves from one fella to the next pretty easy. Art most, her feelings for Batman seem to me intense infatuation. Batman’s love for Nocturna, isn’t that drug induced? Something in the perfume she wears or something. And, yeah, Nightslayer is one nutty fella.

Hamilton Hill isn’t interesting, really. You could replace him with any generic evil politician type. And Mad Hatter is a regular, so Nightslayer is the more interesting to me.

I’m satisfied. I agree he’s just a c lister, so no reason to have too epic of an ending. It would have been cool if he didn’t really die, though, like maybe he was a real vampire.

That last issue that we read this week was one of the comics I bought on my very first comic store visit. How cool is that? So, to me, this was the first imposter Batman story, and, therefore, the very best. :batman_hv_2:

3 Likes

(That’s not my first Red Letter Media reference on here, is it? If so, I’ve been slacking!)

But yeah, nothing wrong with starting off your comic book collecting during the Jason Todd years. Nothing at all!

2 Likes

I noticed that – at times Batman kind of feels like an overwrought teenager running on hormones.

And remember, she initially was into Bruce Wayne, the billionaire. I think, hold up…here, I found her theme song.

2 Likes
  • What did you think about how Jason takes advantage of the circumstances?

Jaylad handled himself here with a lot of maturity. I don’t think he was unaware of the seriousness of the situation he got himself into here so that he could get “the goods” on Nocturna. I thought his plan was a very intelligent one for someone who is still learning the ropes.

• How do you feel about the Batman/Nocturna/Night-Slayer triangle?

I agree with @ralphsix that Nocturna has no real concept of love or if she does its been horribly twisted by events in her past. I find it difficult to call this a true love triangle because two of the three are in the other’s thrall. In fact Nocturna herself is under the spell of the night. I do however like how this spellbound triangle is an echo of the real one between Bruce, Vicki and Julia.

• Which villain interested you the most: Night-Slayer, Mad Hatter, or Hamilton Hill?

Hamilton Hill wins this for me. I know he isn’t a costumed villain but he is his own brand of crazy.

• Were you surprised or satisfied with the resolution of the Dr. Fang story?

The ending didn’t surprise me and even though he is a minor villain I still wanted something more here. It was okay but that was all.

• How does this “villain dresses as Batman” story stack up to similar stories?

This was also my first “villain dresses as Batman” story back in the day so I have to say its my favorite of them.

2 Likes

Starting with the “Strange Apparitions” story and the introduction of Silver St. Cloud, the writers began writing Bruce more and more like Peter Parker, for better or worse.

2 Likes

To be honest I don’t think the Peter Parker look was a good one for Bruce.

1 Like