no one likes. comic books

Did anybody if I did notice that comic books are starting to get boring0!!!/!!!

3 Likes

I don’t think that comics are getting boring. They differently have action and interesting things happening in them. Compared to older comics, it seems that modern comics lack heart and a passion for storytelling. It’s like a villain comes, hero and villain fight, hero wins. Repeat with maybe some family drama. The dialogue is stale most of the time. The stories are dark without much humor. It’s like the writers just give a basic story just for the cash. A comic book storyline should be as a storyline in a novel or tv show. I literally just watched a video named,along the lines of the fall of marvel comics will break your heart. In it he reads the recent Captain Marvel issue and an avengers issue from 20-30 years ago and compare how day and night Carol Danvers is in the two issues.

I would like to add that this is mainly done in big name companies like marvel and dc. Indie and other companies like boom and image comics don’t have this problem as much

1 Like

I think this greatly varies by title and writer. For example, I like modern Aquaman (especially Geoff John’s run) a lot more than the Aquaman from 20-30 years ago, and I’m finding Hawkman interesting for the first time ever. On the flip side, I agree about Carol Danvers, and I preferred the Chuck Dixon era of Nightwing (amnesia, blah).

1 Like

I agree that Johns Aquaman run was amazing. I haven’t read Hawkman yet. I plan to do so soon but I’ve heard good things. I just feel like a lot of it lack substance and have too much fillers.

1 Like

I’ll admit I find myself less motivated to read new comics than I am to read older ones, but part of that’s a stubborn sonofagun who avoids comics that involve some of the worse of the New 52’s changes (also, things that involve Damian Wayne in any capacity). Then again, I did find Nightwing Rebirth and Justice League Rebirth too boring to continue reading after the fourth story arc or so, especially the latter. I also gave up on Batman Rebirth at around the same time, but that was more infuriating than boring.

Do you think part of it is the bimonthly schedule? Dumping twice as much work as usual for one book on a single creative team could be taxing.

2 Likes

I think that making a team work twice of hard would surely effect the quality of the work released. If I’m not mistaken didn’t Stan Lee at one point take characters from comics that didn’t sell well and put them in a duo comic. I that that DC should something similar like Nightwing/Batgirl.

1 Like

Gotcha, @Flamebird! :blush:

1 Like

Because I buy Bendis and King and other comics I don’t like, just to stay current, it is often a chore to go through my new, weekly, issues.

Also they are many comics I read that I don’t remember their content soon after that I have read them. Martian Manhunter, I had to download again because I remember nothing but bizarre, maybe bad artwork.

DC Universe convinced me to read old material. Its current library, Comixology bargain trades, Comixology Unlimited, and all the Graphic Novels that were recommended by reviewers that I bought in disgust of DC Universe deleting material every week, are consistently better than the new, current issues, with a few exceptions like Black Hammer, by Jeff Lemire.

Of course, these works are the best of the best, recommended by all?

Finally Comic Books, like TV shows that are not mini series, are unending, almost without beginning or end, except for the original story being retold again.

That is comforting, but it forgettable. There is nothing to add after the 24th issue by the same writer. Attempt to gets sales by changing the status quo abruptly and in a way that isolates the hero through amnesia or other tricks harms the brand, harms the hero, harms the reader. I am supposed to read this sillyness when I know it will back to normal within a year or two?

After decades of these attempt to get sales, my subconscious knows that it is being tricked and just want to shit it out of my life. Instead I muddle through another issue.

1 Like

I’m too old to muddle through, so I’ve been dropping books that I think are crap (Wonder Woman), offensive (Teen Titans), or dismissive (Aquaman). And don’t get me started on Marvel! In a few months, I might be down to just Daredevil. But the biggest problem with comics currently is that they are being written to fill graphic novel collections. That’s why you can read back to back issues of Superman and Action Comics and come away feeling cheated because nothing seemed to happen–it’s all filler that will eventually add up to a whole–NOTHING. Then there is the Scott Snyder approach of revealing a little at a time, a narrative pealing of the onion, that will eventually pay off.
The problem with this approach is that there’s no end in sight to this big promised payoff. The tunnel we stumble through in literary darkness eventually erases anything we garnered from the storyline and when we finally get to the end we don’t remember where we’ve been.
It might be time to go back to a simpler form of story-telling where a one-and-done or a classic three-act (issue) play with solid characterization and subplots is the rule and not the exception.

2 Likes

There are some good new series I have enjoyed. Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s run on Batman, Batman White Knight, Tom King 's Mr. Miracle, Jason Aaron 's Thor, and Metal were fun. I do find myself reading older books more though. Digital reading has really inspired me to go back and look at old series.

2 Likes

Do you guys want some cheese?

1 Like

I love cheese. It’s all gouda!

@baseballmaniac01

The simpler form can be great. My favorite series has been Astro City and their books almost never exceed 3. Most are stand alone. It can be done and, like you, I think it might be time to see more of this kind of storytelling.

1 Like

I think its in the golden age and may stories are being adapted to TV or Movies, the probelm is it is competing with TV and Movies.

1 Like

Or, perhaps we are just adhering to Sturgeon’s Law: 90% of everything is crud. That’s how we know 10% is great. Imagine if everything was great, we wouldn’t have time to read or watch everything.

Also, if you have been reading comics for 20-40 years, it’s tough to get that wide eyed wonder back. I saw the original Star Wars in the theater back in '77. The special effects were amazing for the time and so different from what had come before. That level of realism is now the standard. It’s rough for me to be wowed by new science fiction movies.

Just like the original runs of the New Teen Titans, O’Neil and Adams GL/GA & Batman. Groundbreaking compared to the normal comics fare. That’s why we remember certain great runs. I agree decompression and writing for the trade does add some filler, but we are getting more adult stories and much more detailed art. It’s all a trade off, but the cream will rise to the top.

3 Likes

Point: comics are getting boring and stale
Counterpoint: Starro just became Robin.

It’s all relative, I suppose. I think there’s a lot being put out there that’s just to make money and move product. I love Black Panther, always have and always will, but Marvel doesn’t need to publish a dozen comics spinning out of the series. What they do with X-Men is similar (Chris Claremont was just fine with one monthly, he didn’t need like twenty). DC kinda does the same thing with Batman. I think it’s just important to sift through the stuff that’s put out there to flood the market to find the real stories made by people who love comics and love the characters.

The overall quality of creators at the big two does seem to be in decline. Really good writers seem to rush to the independents and don’t seem to have the love of the Marvel and DC properties that Silver and Bronze Age creators had. The really good writers go to Hollywood (Johns, Brubaker, and Millar), insane (Frank Miller), or hang around way too long riding past glories(Bendis, Byrne).